At rest data encryption

C. Bodett

Idea

First off, love Evernote, and I haven't found anything to top it in terms of usability and features. However, it almost seems like an oversight at this point to not offer at rest encryption.  Data should be encrypted on the local devices, and in Evernote's cloud. With multiple options for key generation and management.  

Of course I've taken steps on my local devices to encrypt their entire disks but all of this sensitive data is still up in Evernote's cloud, and It would be nice if that could be encrypted at rest too.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, C. Bodett said:

it almost seems like an oversight at this point to not offer at rest encryption.

Actually Evernote implemented "at rest encryption" on the servers

I think you're asking for end-to-end encryption
For whatever reasons, Evernote has not indicated an interest in implementing this beyond the text encryption feature in notes

Personally, I don't let this stop me from encrypting my sensitive data
I encrypt my attachments; pdf and office documents

Thanks for the reply DTlow.  Can you provide me a link or documentation on their "at rest encryption?"  Maybe something that describes who has the keys and how it's encrypted.

You're right that I wish the data stored on my devices was encrypted in the same way with the same key, but as I mentioned I've taken steps to make sure my devices' storage is encrypted and used tools like Viivo to encrypt individual files and folders as well.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, C. Bodett said:

Can you provide me a link or documentation on their "at rest encryption?"  Maybe something that describes who has the keys and how it's encrypted.

This is all I have.  It's not a user-level function.  My understanding is that when our data is "at rest" on the servers, it's not open to hacking or theft

Archived