Changing Default Zoom of a Single Note

I created a Notebook and shared it.   One of the Notes I created was edited by someone I shared it with, and now the default zoom is at two steps up from the smallest zoom.   I reset the zoom manually to the smallest, then edited some text hoping that this would save the zoom setting.   It does not.   Every time I re-open that affected Note, the zoom changes to two steps up from the smallest zoom setting.   Every other Note in the Notebook is at the smallest zoom setting.

How did this happen, and is there anything I can do to change the default zoom of a single Note?

• Level 5*

Hi.  And Hmmn.. how do you 'zoom' a note?  Ctrl+"+" & "-" allows me to change the view within Windows,  but moving to any other note and back changes the view to 100% immediately.  Has your colleague actually changed the font size?

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  And Hmmn.. how do you 'zoom' a note?  Ctrl+"+" & "-" allows me to change the view within Windows,  but moving to any other note and back changes the view to 100% immediately.  Has your colleague actually changed the font size?

Font size is not modified.

Ctrl+- reduces the view, but that reduced view does not *save*.    And it affects only this one Note.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, persistentone said:

Font size is not modified.

Ctrl+- reduces the view, but that reduced view does not *save*.    And it affects only this one Note.

Double Hmmn.  Is it feasible to copy and paste the content of the note into a text-only app like Notepad and then copy and paste from there into a new note?  I've no odea how the zoomed view is so persistent.  Have you tried a system restart?  Maybe there's a cache somewhere that needs emptying... :huh:

• Level 5*
On 3/24/2017 at 10:51 PM, persistentone said:

One of the Notes I created was edited by someone I shared it with, and now the default zoom is at two steps up from the smallest zoom.

As far as I know, note zoom is a local setting; it is not transmitted to someone sharing a note (i.e., it's not part of the note's ENML content). As far as I can tell, it doesn't even persist between different viewings on the same machine (i.e., click on a note, change its zoom, click on a different note, and then return to the original note: its zoom is set to the default) It sounds as though the other user may have modified font size (Ctrl+> or Ctrl+<) of all or selected parts of the note.

12 hours ago, jefito said:

As far as I know, note zoom is a local setting; it is not transmitted to someone sharing a note (i.e., it's not part of the note's ENML content). As far as I can tell, it doesn't even persist between different viewings on the same machine (i.e., click on a note, change its zoom, click on a different note, and then return to the original note: its zoom is set to the default) It sounds as though the other user may have modified font size (Ctrl+> or Ctrl+<) of all or selected parts of the note.

Perhaps the font was changed in a single place.  I selected all text, resized the font to the same default used in all other Notes and it still has the same bizarre behavior.

Where is the setting for the default zoom?

On 3/28/2017 at 5:00 AM, gazumped said:

AFAIK there is no default setting for the zoom that would persist between sessions,  or even between views if the same note!  This behaviour is just bizarre.

Now the behavior has gone from bizarre to the twilight zone.   I have Notes that use identical font styles and sizes that are going to different sizes at minimum zoom!   So I can no longer even manually adjust the zoom to the same size as the unaffected documents.   And it no longer affects just one document.  This behavior is infecting every document my collaborator edits.  

I would say its a bug, but based on the fact that the first bug I reported to their support group got dropped completely and I never even got a level 2 person to follow through and respond, it doesn't look like it is worth the time to gather information and report it.

• Level 5*

Do you get the same variation in text size in the Web version if you sign in via Evernote.com?

Sounds like either the database is corrupted somehow or your local app (or the device) is not well...

If you have no local notebooks I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall the app,  and if that doesn't make any difference you can rebuild your database (apart from any local notes) from the server,  when (hopefully) normal service will be resumed.

To rebuild the local database,  just find the Databases file - Evernote > Options > General),  exit Evernote and rename the folder.  Log in again and go find a beverage of choice while Evernote builds things back up.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, persistentone said:

I have Notes that use identical font styles and sizes that are going to different sizes at minimum zoom!   So I can no longer even manually adjust the zoom to the same size as the unaffected documents.   And it no longer affects just one document.  This behavior is infecting every document my collaborator edits.

I would not blame this on database corruption, since it sounds like it's a regular occurrence when your collaborator edits notes, not a sporadic occurrence that would suggest corruption.

I'd look instead at whether your collaborator is mucking with the font size of text in the note (maybe they're just using a different default size than you are), You probably could test this by saving a simple note out in ENML format, then having them edit it as they would normally, and examining at the resulting edited note in ENML for font size changes. 

On 4/3/2017 at 6:28 AM, gazumped said:

Do you get the same variation in text size in the Web version if you sign in via Evernote.com?

Sounds like either the database is corrupted somehow or your local app (or the device) is not well...

If you have no local notebooks I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall the app,  and if that doesn't make any difference you can rebuild your database (apart from any local notes) from the server,  when (hopefully) normal service will be resumed.

To rebuild the local database,  just find the Databases file - Evernote > Options > General),  exit Evernote and rename the folder.  Log in again and go find a beverage of choice while Evernote builds things back up.

The enlarged zoom view infects the web version as well.  It looks like a server side issue.   I'm guessing my correspondent may have accidentally changed a font or size in one place in the document and it had an unintended side effect.   But I tried to reset the font and font size after selecting all text in the document, and the problem still occurs.

Given this problem happens on the web version, I don't see a point in reinstalling the app.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, persistentone said:

The enlarged zoom view infects the web version as well.  It looks like a server side issue.  

Zoom level is not captured in ENML (the Evernote note format), so it's hard for me to believe that the Evernote servers would know anything abut it. However, font sizes are captured, and that's almost certainly the root of the problem.

16 hours ago, jefito said:

Zoom level is not captured in ENML (the Evernote note format), so it's hard for me to believe that the Evernote servers would know anything abut it. However, font sizes are captured, and that's almost certainly the root of the problem.

That sounds very reasonable.   Given that I selected the entire document and reset the font and font size of every character in the document, it does sound like there is some element embedded into these documents now that I cannot see and cannot modify, and that artifact appears to have a side effect of affecting the default zoom, on both the web and Windows versions of the product.

• Level 5*
On 4/9/2017 at 1:57 AM, persistentone said:

it does sound like there is some element embedded into these documents now that I cannot see and cannot modify

Your best bet may be to edit the underlying code at this point; export to ENML, load the file up in a text editor, fix the problems, and import it back in (and delete the old note). Kind of a pain, that.

Archived