Help please: cannot open my note

jw624

Hi Experts,

Recently one of my notes (which is a big one) cannot be open any more, when I click this note, Evernote just keeps no responding. The name of the note is '2 Python Notes'.

Could anybody help me to get it fixed please? it's my collections of more than one year...... Thank you so much....

- I've upgraded to the latest version but still doesn't help. I've also submitted bug report when force quitting Evernote program.

-jw624

OK I think I've fixed this issue. Just exported the note to an HTML file and opened it with vim. It turns out to have only 3 lines and one of them is super long (image a single line contains more than 11 MB of data). The long line has a huge number of <div><br/></div> pairs - I have to write a small program to remove all of them. 

• Level 5*
On 3/24/2017 at 11:51 AM, jw624 said:

OK I think I've fixed this issue. Just exported the note to an HTML file and opened it with vim. It turns out to have only 3 lines and one of them is super long (image a single line contains more than 11 MB of data)

There should be no problem with extremely long lines; carriage return/linefeed characters are not significant when interpreting the underlying Evernote ENML markup.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:51 AM, jw624 said:

The long line has a huge number of <div><br/></div> pairs - I have to write a small program to remove all of them. 

"<div><br/></div>" sequences shouldn't cause any problems, if properly balanced (if they're not, than Evernote should tell you that there's a problem with the note). On the other hand, by removing them, you've probably removed blank lines used for formatting purposes: in ENML, <div> ...blab...</div> puts "...blah..." on a line by itself; <div> <br/> </div> just creates a blank line. In fact, if your note contains code samples, it makes perfect sense for them to be there because we use blank lines in code all the time. If there were lots of them in the note in sequence, then that might indicate that something weird may have happened (did your cat fall asleep on the Enter key?), but they really shouldn't be problematic on their own.

It not clear why what you did seems to work, but if the note now looks OK, maybe that was indeed the problem. It's just that something doesn't seem to quite jibe with that explanation.

Reference: ENML: Understanding the Evernote Markup Language

Archived