Dropbox (esp Business) Integration..

jaypema

Hello -

I am sure there is an answer to this, I was hoping to ask someone from EN, but the support site has directed me to the discussion boards...

I would be interested if there was consideration for integrating Dropbox (especially Business) into Evernote to the same extent to Google Drive (for linking files etc)?

Thanks in advance....

- Jay

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, jaypema said:

integrating Dropbox (especially Business) into Evernote to the same extent to Google Drive (for linking files etc)?

Could you expand on the requirements?  Currently, I can link files from various services, including Dropbox

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Could you expand on the requirements?  Currently, I can link files from various services, including Dropbox

Really - that sounds great! Can I ask how you do it? Or are you simply creating a public DBox URL for each file and inserting it into a note?

in terms of expanding on my requirements, I have used the google drive integration and was impressed with how seemless it connects to a Cloud file store (and obviously if you edit a locally synced file, it is the same file). Thanks in advance. 

• Level 5*

I'd imagine Evernote will want to develop the Google Drive connection for a while before they widen it out to include other online stores - there are a hundred or so currently on offer,  including the best-known dozen or so.  In every case though (AFAIK) if you're the account holder you can get a direct URL to open any file.  Attach that to a note and you will be able to edit your files through any device or connection.  No sharing necessary.  I haven't tested every service, so in some cases maybe a shared URL will be required.  It's no great effort to open one browser (or explorer) window to save the file,  and copy/ paste a link to a note.

I'd imagine the reason Evernote sent you here would be to judge how much support there would be for the DB extension.  I'll vote for that... :)

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jaypema said:

Or are you simply creating a public DBox URL for each file and inserting it into a note?

As per @gazump, both Dropbox and GDrive allow the use of an internal or public link to access files

On 3/24/2017 at 1:04 AM, DTLow said:

As per @gazump, both Dropbox and GDrive allow the use of an internal or public link to access files

How do you great the internal link on Drop Box? That's something I would like to do. 

Thanks 

• Level 5*

Here you go - from your DropBox web page

• A shares a folder
  • B shares a file
  • C shares to one or more email addresses
  • D is a pastable link   (NB anyone with that link can see the file)

58d8ea53f1ada_ScreenClip6.png.1945f889bbf4f093a1bbad6f05aff3e9.png

- though there are some options under Link Settings if you need them...

58d8eaf7a0932_ScreenClip7.png.3229750c6a5f874b83fb4af51ee3b202.png

I have used a slightly quicker method.... 

Untitled.png.c954865dff9c442f186f77752d39e266.png

It works well to open the file in a browser (or to download it, depending on the file), BUT if you e.g. Open a PDF from Dropbox web (not though this link), you actually get more options.... This option almost thinks you are a visitor.....  It is better, but still not ideal.  

(To explain this fuller: If I open the Dropbox web view via the icon and then select a PDF, I get the option to edit via my default PDF viewer (PDF Expert), however using the above method does not provide that option).

• Level 5*

Good option - I wasn't sure whether opening the local DropBox folder and embedding a link to the file from there would give you a connection to the web file,  or whether it would simply link to the local copy.  I guess the option you use has to reflect your use case.  Be aware that there is more than one method,  so if one way doesn't work there's at least an option.

Archived