Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 3 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi folks,

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 3! You can download it here.

This Beta puts on hold some of our work around tab support and business and personal separation. We're working through some UX changes to address feedback we received in Beta 1 and Beta 2, so those feature updates have been removed. In Beta 3 you'll find Mac Touch Bar integration and many fixes with taking notes:

New:
Touch Bar support for the latest MacBook Pros allows quick access to key navigation and note editing commands.

Screenshot of the Touch Bar - providing access to back/forwards, quick search, view options, filter options and New Note when navigating notes

Capture1.thumb.PNG.00edbe5fc024007e45ac0466e02a16d0.PNG

Fixed:
We've fixed several issues people were having with notes:
- Search terms weren’t highlighted in notes for some searches
- Clicking on an attachment sometimes caused the note to scroll up, making it hard to open attachments
- Shift + arrow up or down did not highlight if the line above or below was blank
- Shift + enter did not create a non-bulleted line in a bulleted list
- Couldn’t delete the leftmost column in a table if the top cell is formatted
- Line breaks were unexpectedly removed after syncing some notes originally created on iPhone
- Content copied from a PDF sometimes could not be pasted into a note
- Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns
- If the last item in a list was blank, it disappeared when users navigated away and then back to the note
- Couldn’t remove indents from text in some notes created in earlier versions of Evernote 
- In tables, if you triple clicked to select the content and then cut, you would be unable to focus on the cell
- If you added a new checklist item in the middle of an existing checklist, one character of a checklist item might be unexpectedly deleted

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

68 replies to this idea

8 minutes ago, EdH said:

You can install the beta and App Store version on iOS side by side. I keep them both installed.

Unfortunate that won't help with the tables issue. I was running the beta and any note I opened with tables took on the issue even in the iOS app once they synced. 

On 2017. 3. 28. at 오후 11시 52분, Jason Miller said:

Hi

Beta 4 should address this, the clean up running in the background got a bit over zealous in removing blank lines. 

The problem is solved!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, johnWschwartz said:

Hi Evernote team,

I've been an auto-Beta user for some time but had to roll back to stable version due to tables not working at all. Any previously created table in notes shows up very narrow without ability to resize or delete without right-click, delete. Thanks. :)

(Bug seen using latest Evernote Beta on macOS Sierra 10.12.4)

You can install the beta and App Store version on iOS side by side. I keep them both installed.

On 23/03/2017 at 6:43 AM, DTLow said:

Fixed: New Local Notebooks are no longer sync'd 58d3634f2d869_ScreenShot2017-03-22at10_55_06PM.png.d0abb96738ad08c6b615dabed2913653.png

Bug Report: Width settings lost on existing tables in viewing

The screenshot is supposed to be a full width table
Instead, all the columns are reduced to minimum width
Seems to apply to all my notes

I imported from Note History to try and fixed this
The width looked fine in Note History but became compressed when imported. 

Hi Evernote team,

I've been an auto-Beta user for some time but had to roll back to stable version due to tables not working at all. Any previously created table in notes shows up very narrow without ability to resize or delete without right-click, delete. Thanks. :)

(Bug seen using latest Evernote Beta on macOS Sierra 10.12.4)

8 hours ago, prjna said:

After I put more than two lines between my contents and I check it later, it reduced 2 line.

2017-03-28 14_53_37.gif

Hi

Beta 4 should address this, the clean up running in the background got a bit over zealous in removing blank lines. 

• Level 5*

I think this is the first time I can remember (and I was on shard 1 before the google migration) that I haven't updated to the latest mac beta. 

Quality seems incredibly poor.

The beta seems to have broken the shift-cmd-v keyboard shortcut to paste and match style. I reported this through Ticket# 2054893 and was told that I should report that issue here as it is only a problem in the Beta.  

On 3/26/2017 at 11:00 AM, doonyakka said:

Since I updated to version 6.11 beta 3, the Evernote clipper for Postbox on my Mac (running OS X 10.11.6) clips HTML email to a very narrow column. In previous versions of Evernote, the note would look almost identical to the original email. 

I've attached a PDF with screenshots of the email and the clipped note, which shows the big difference between the two. Is this something that might be fixed in an upcoming update, or will the developers of the Postbox add-on have to address it?

ENClipBug.pdf

I'm actually having a similar problem with Airmail 3. With the added bonus that every time I send something from Airmail 3 to EN (using the Airmail 3 Send to -> Save to Evernote function) EN crashes, but the scrunched note is there when I restart EN.

The update is once again broken using the Alfred workflow which uses Applescript. As noted before this was broken on the previous beta and is a popular way many interact with Evernote.

As with others, I had local notebooks updated into the cloud, which is frankly pathetic even for a beta release. 

As a many year premium customer it feels like your development team is getting worse and worse. I used to love Evernote and have recommended it to many others, I don't feel this way any longer.

On 3/23/2017 at 2:47 PM, psparrow said:

"Paste and Match Style" is now greyed out. Why is this? 

Started noticing that if I want to paste and match style, the command is disabled. Tried several times with different text copied. Started happening after Version 6.11 Beta 3 (454808 Direct) was installed. Happens on both Macbook Pros I have both running mass 10.12.3

Since I updated to version 6.11 beta 3, the Evernote clipper for Postbox on my Mac (running OS X 10.11.6) clips HTML email to a very narrow column. In previous versions of Evernote, the note would look almost identical to the original email. 

I've attached a PDF with screenshots of the email and the clipped note, which shows the big difference between the two. Is this something that might be fixed in an upcoming update, or will the developers of the Postbox add-on have to address it?

ENClipBug.pdf

To revert to a previous version, delete the database and let it be rebuilt from the servers
The app AppCleaner is recommended to do a clean install
Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsynced notes

thanks for the reply. I don't what you mean by “delete the database”. Where/how should I do it? I am afraid I would delete and lose my data.

Another problem has surged: the complete data in one of my notes (with mixed regular text and tables) shows in the website but it does not show in my laptop. This never happened before this new update.

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, fvg said:

So, what is the procedure. Simply uninstall with AppCleaner,, and then install 6.10? 

Install AppCleaner.  Run it and completely delete Evernote from your Mac

Install Evernote and the database will be rebuilt from the servers

Please note: This may not be necessary.  Your table display problem was fixed with the latest version of 6.11 (post beta)

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, fvg said:

You wrote delete, which I interpret as manually deleting each all notes from my laptop.

DO NOT DELETE YOUR NOTES

You have a copy of your database on your Mac.  It's been upgraded to v6.11 and can't be  used with previous software versions

If you're reverting the program version, the database version also has to be reverted

Sorry, but it is still not clear what the steps are. All my notes are synced with Evernote server. Should I simply uninstall Evernote in my laptop, and then install it again? You wrote delete, which I interpret as manually deleting each all notes from my laptop.

thanks.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, fvg said:

thanks for the reply. I don't what you mean by “delete the database”. Where/how should I do it? I am afraid I would delete and lose my data.

The app AppCleaner will handle the database delete

If your data has been synced to the servers, you will not lose data during the rebuild

Background:

The database copy on your Mac has been upgraded to v6.11

This is why you can't  revert your software to a previous program version

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, fvg said:

\I tried to go back to previous version, and I could not do it, I am getting error messages saying “The version is too old”

I'm using v6.11 and am not experiencing your table display problem
There was a problem with beta 3, but it was fixed in later releases

To revert to a previous version, delete the database copy on your Mac and let it be rebuilt from the servers
The app AppCleaner is recommended to do a clean install
Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsynced notes

31 minutes ago, fvg said:

Never again I will update right away. This was a terrible update. All tables from all notes are a compressed thin line. I tried to go back to previous version, and I could not do it, I am getting error messages saying “The version is too old”

When did you update Evernote?

Now they offer official version 6.11.

If you recently update, maybe it is not a beta version.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, fvg said:

Never again I will update right away. This was a terrible update. All tables from all notes are a compressed thin line. I tried to go back to previous version, and I could not do it, I am getting error messages saying “The version is too old”

Why are you updating to beta builds if you aren't willing to test for bugs?

14 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

New:
Touch Bar support for the latest MacBook Pros allows quick access to key navigation and note editing commands.

Screenshot of the Touch Bar - providing access to back/forwards, quick search, view options, filter options and New Note when navigating notes

295e265c-9298-47a1-bdab-d078a00ae8fb

Maybe link for screenshots is broken - here my examples (German layout)

evernote-touch-bar.jpg

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-22 at 6:11 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Today we're announcing Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 3!

Bug Report?  I noticed when I'm using shortcuts to saved searches, my sort parameters are also changing
Was this "feature" implemented with this version?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Fixed: New Local Notebooks are no longer synced 

Anyone know what the remediation steps were to remove data from the cloud?

Also getting the crash on launch here.

[EDIT] I don't get a crash on launch if I open Evernote in a new user account on my machine, so the problem is likely with database migration? The same thing happened in an earlier beta of this release.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Bug Report: We seem to have lost Paste and Match Style
The keyboard shortcut doesn't work and the menu item is greyed

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

Fixed: Local Notebooks are no longer synced 58d3634f2d869_ScreenShot2017-03-22at10_55_06PM.png.d0abb96738ad08c6b615dabed2913653.png

Thanks @DTLow for reporting - we're investigating!

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Bug Report:  Applescript causes Evernote to abort with:  
     Error Number: -609  Evernote got an error: Connection is invalid.
This was an error from Beta 1

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-22 at 6:11 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed: New Local Notebooks are no longer sync'd 58d3634f2d869_ScreenShot2017-03-22at10_55_06PM.png.d0abb96738ad08c6b615dabed2913653.png

These shift+enter's seem to be tricky. I notice that text in my previous notes that should be one line down and unbulleted end up on the same line as the bullet. I've included a screenshot comparing what the web client shows vs. the Mac client.

(Running beta 3, of course)

Quick edit: So, this is on all notes, even new ones. I've changed my screenshot to a test note.

To reproduce:

• Create new note
  • Create a bulleted list
  • Enter some text
  • Shift+Enter
  • Enter some text
  • Looks good? Leave note and come back
  • Now it looks like my note below.

58d326eada219_ScreenShot2017-03-22at7_36_00PM.png.50c85cc9bac830d20e9b0e18e474af65.png

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

We are fixing this.

You should pull the beta - it's not responsible to keep shipping if you know it's going to cause users so many problems.

When I add a tag, if it starts English or number, Evernote recommend similar tags that start with that character or word.

But if I want to add a tag by the Korean language, recommendation function doesn't work at all.

I use to add pictures by drag to Evernote icon on the dock.

If I do this, Evernote makes new note windows, and I can edit their name or contents without search another place.

But nowadays, if I drag one picture, a new window pop up. But if I drag pictures to Evernote icon on the dock, notebooks are added basic notebook without showing new note windows. So I should rename files before add or must search each of notes.

It's very annoying for me.

I hope you guys roll back the previous function.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Stacey said:

Also, what are the best directions for downgrading from Beta to public version. I can't work well enough with all the bugs. Thanks.

My process is to completely remove  Evernote; app, database ....
- The app AppCleaner is recommended 

Reinstall the app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers
- Warning: The rebuild doesn't include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

Two issues:

1. I seem to have some business notebooks that appear as both personal and business notebooks (and some that don't) - see video

2. I can't always move notes from the default personal notebook to a business notebook - see video. Sometimes I can though. Don't see a pattern yet as to when I can and when I can't.

I have a video demoing the problem but it is too large to upload here (exceeds attachment limit). I submitted it to tech support but they told me to post it here...chicken and egg. Can you find the video in your tech support system? Ticket #2053575.  

Also, what are the best directions for downgrading from Beta to public version. I can't work well enough with all the bugs. Thanks.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:11 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed:
. . .
- Applying Simplify Formatting to clipped notes removed returns

Thanks for this, but the fix doesn't seem to work universally. For notes clipped from the Guardian website, for example, the problem still exists. For notes clipped from the New York Times, on the other hand, the command works as before (6.9.2). 

Another bug reported way back (and should be easy to fix) is still here:

• Recent Evernote for Mac betas (starting from 6.10.x) have removed the system-wide default keyboard shortcut for the "Fonts" dialog (%T).

Yes, I know I can fix this myself. But the removal doesn't make sense since you're not assigning the shortcut to something else. (Nor should it be reassigned since it's used the same way across different applications.)

5 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

This is a huge issue for those of us who use templates. Every single one of my simplify days templets is screwed up. You can resize them to look like they should BUT only the multicolumn tables (single column are still stuck). the weird part is if you look at the messed up tables in the web app they look normal.

We are fixing this.

2 hours ago, upnix said:

Have to say that I feel similarly regarding the bullets/newline issue. I can't make any changes to my notes, otherwise the incorrect formatting sticks. I'm trying to make do with the desktop client for reading, and the web client for changes. It's not ideal.

Yes, the bug will only be saved if you make an edit o the note. We are fixing this and preventing it from happening in the first place.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:21 AM, Chantal Leonard said:

Thanks @DTLow for reporting - we're investigating!

This is a huge issue for those of us who use templates. Every single one of my simplify days templets is screwed up. You can resize them to look like they should BUT only the multicolumn tables (single column are still stuck). the weird part is if you look at the messed up tables in the web app they look normal.

2 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Can't test this beta with tables bugs like this making it through...

Have to say that I feel similarly regarding the bullets/newline issue. I can't make any changes to my notes, otherwise the incorrect formatting sticks. I'm trying to make do with the desktop client for reading, and the web client for changes. It's not ideal.

Archived