Evernote awarded industry prize!

Glennie

Idea

Evernote has been awarded the much-coveted Blood out of a Stone award, annually given to a corporation which has set the lowest standards for provider-end user communications.

The award came as no surprise to those familiar with Evernote and its policy of hiring deaf mutes for its PR section.

Accepting the award on behalf of her colleagues (a group of equally taciturn employees "helmed by a crack team out of Austin"), an Evernote representative said nothing and, when asked to expand, refused to be drawn and pretended to be a bathroom cabinet.

_________

Evernote's motto: "With a bit of luck, they won't notice."

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Glennie said:

Evernote has been awarded the much-coveted Blood out of a Stone award, annually given to a corporation which has set the lowest standards for provider-end user communications.

The award came as no surprise to those familiar with Evernote and its policy of hiring deaf mutes for its PR section.

Accepting the award on behalf of her colleagues (a group of equally taciturn employees "helmed by a crack team out of Austin"), Struggles said nothing and, when asked to expand, refused to be drawn and pretended to be a bathroom cabinet.

_________

Evernote's motto: "With a bit of luck, they won't notice."

Which is it?  Inquiring minds and all that.  In either case, are we being a mite too personal?

sat·ire   /saˌtī(ə)r/   noun - the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

OR

Fake news is a type of hoax or deliberate spread of misinformation, be it via the traditional news media or via social media, with the intent to mislead in order to gain financially or politically

Well, for the record, it is all invented.

But if that award existed Evernote would be up there amongst the contenders.

It's personal in the sense that I dislike anyone taking people's money and ignoring them, as do we all.

And though I do not depend on Evernote to do my job, I have the feeling that some of the people who have written on this forum (and who have been ignored) do. A poorly functioning Evernote may represent a serious handicap to them doing their jobs as well as they need to/would like.

But I take your point...as you can see I have removed a person's name, assuming that she started with the best of intentions and either moved on (and good luck to her), was dismissed (ditto) or was told to forget Web version issues, the company having other priorities (I would not be surprised).

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, csihilling said:
satire   OR    Fake news 

I'd put it down as attempted satire;  

I've added @Glennie  to my Ignore List.  He doesn't post anything of value and I find his constant whining annoying but I wouldn't consider he's generating fake news

Or did I again overlook sarcasm

• Level 5*

Rumor has it a new Web version is in the offing, there's a post on the forum someplace I think.  Pretty sure the upcoming release is a reflection of the negative response to New Web.  That may be why it is so quiet.  Though some info on what is "coming soon" would be helpful. 

Anyway, after New Web and the recent IOS release, best to wait and see what happens, keep the expectations in order.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd put it down as satire;  

I've added @Glennie  to my Ignore List.  He doesn't post anything of value and I find his constant whining annoying 

I think you said this out loud....  ;)

Perhaps the LOL response to this harmless joke depends on where you come from (geographically speaking). 

But what was surprising to me was the quick response (deleted in the meantime) by @DTLow calling it 'alternate news'. 

I encourage anyone to put me on their 'ignore list' who deem my hearty laugh at the yet to be officially announced industry award as sacrilege.

// Seriously speaking, there was a time when both Apple and Microsoft each had followers who defended their 'gods' against all criticism. In both instances, this is no longer so. I regard a support forum not as the place where complaints are answered in a way where I feel faulty or inadequate features get defended beyond reason. 

Me, too, would want to hear more definite plans of what is currently under development and when to be released.

Boasting goodness of how many users all over the world is one thing, getting and keeping paying users another. When I read about the CEO's article/interview (genuine, not fake!)

words against a Head of State my feelings were, what the heck is that. Can't he direct his attention more to the product he is responsible for, rather than waste his time with useless dabbling at politics?  No doubt, millions are eagerly waiting for that sort of communication. 

Cheerio and all the best. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

I encourage anyone to put me on their 'ignore list'

The problem with the Ignore list is that if/when something of value is posted it would be missed.  There has been value in some of your posts

>>But what was surprising to me was the quick response (deleted in the meantime) by @DTLow calling it 'alternate news'. 

Actually the term I used was "alternate facts", but after consideration I decided it was pointless responding to this individual.  Also, in review I'm sure his purpose was an attempt at satire instead of presenting news/facts

>>I regard a support forum not as the place where complaints are answered in a way where I feel faulty or inadequate features get defended beyond reason. 

These are actually user discussion forums.  I use them more as a source for help with the product.
There are specific posts and forums where Evernote requests feedback

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Glennie said:

Yes, Evernote is so much different than Microsoft or Google or Apple in this regard. Google routinely tells me what's going to change in their apps. They even gave me advance notice that they were going to kill Google Reader.

And I'm on the email list where Apple discloses all the juicy details regarding the iPhone 8.

Adobe is also a company who actively advice users and developers of what's in the pipeline. What's more, twice a year they put on a 'Long YouTube Night' show with invited guests (professionals). Invariably worth watching, leg-pulling during the show and a beer straight from the 20 bottle-crate at the end in the early hours taken for granted.  And for those, who missed or wanted to see something again the best bits from the show are available for download 4 weeks later. 

As I subscribe and pay for Evernote backup to Dropbox I feel content enough to live with some of the oddities of Evernote and expect  no more than reliable webclipping and storage of uploads.  But as far as value for money goes, I can certainly name services with better ROI, a feeling all too obviously shared by others share. As such this thread does not come at a completely inappropriate time in the not so long care-free time of Evernote. A well-meant prod into the side of Evernote is what I took from it, nicely packaged at that.

Yes, indeed, a great deal more open communication is sorely wanted right now. I never took OneNote seriously, but Microsoft have finally started to make something of it and as the Office 365 subscription for one user is exactly the same price as Evernote charge, but including one TB of web storage, and of course mighty powerful servers all over the globe. Believe me, I cannot use Evernote on neither of my 10" pads (Win 10 + Android) but can use the Microsoft app even on my wife's yesteryear SamsungS4, with sketching by hand or pen supported, highlighting in colour of choice and more. Even page layout view is provided. And yet users are by no means over-enthusiastic  because improvement pdq is expected.

So, I see clouds on the Evernote horizon coming up. They may well end up with umpteen more millions of free users.

Sad to see users popping up now and again to innocently request new features or repeat requests for old ones.

Makes me angry...like we are all being taken for a ride.

And yes I know: this is a user forum...Evernote has no obligation to even pay any attention to what happens here...Evernote never tells its users what it intends to do in the future...blah blah blah.

I know all that, but am still angry. This is simply not right.

@Glennie

at the end of the day one just takes the good and looks for ways of getting over the shortcomings. 

I do not use my Fujitsu Scanner as I meant to use it, that is to send straight to Evernote, simply because batch renaming is not provided for in Evernote. 

Another thing: I finally got round to setting up my Brother MFC's  web scan facility, API support for Evernote amongst others. Guess what? Google and Dropbox uploads take half the time,documents arrive as scanned,  Evernote sometime does not receive contents of documents.  

I am no longer annoyed, just sad. :mellow:

Archived