(Archived) Updates in the works?

• 2 weeks later...

I am another Palm Pre Plus owner, and I would very much like to see an update soon for the Evernote application, which has not kept pace with the development of other Evernote mobile apps.

Problems with the current version of the Palm Pre app:

• There is no cut, copy and paste, although this is possible with nearly every other app on the webOS platform.
    Notes sometimes fail to sync after editing. They are put in the pending queue and languish. Only option is to delete and then lose all the edits.
    Scrolling sometimes fails to continue to the end of the note, leaving some text off screen. Also, scrolling sometimes has the lower part of the note displayed with a distracting gray background.
    Bulleted and numbered lists are not possible on the Pre app.
    There is no local offline version of the notes saved to the phone. It would be great to have at least the latest notes saved to the phone.
    Searching does not seem to work as well as online or with the Mac app.
    No sound attachments/spoken notes are currently possible.

If there are Evernote employees reading this post, PLEASE let us Pre owners know if an update is coming and/or if you plan to continue development on the webOS platform. Considering HP's recent purchase of Palm and their stated commitment to webOS, I think it would be a good idea!

• Level 5

I wonder how many changes Palm's new owner, HP, will make to the Pre.

Kind of a tough call for a 3rd party developer, like Evernote, who has to devote substantial engineering resources on modifications to a product that might be in a state of change.

I wonder how many changes Palm's new owner, HP, will make to the Pre.

Kind of a tough call for a 3rd party developer, like Evernote, who has to devote substantial engineering resources on modifications to a product that might be in a state of change.

HP intends on further leveraging WebOS for hardware beyond the smartphone market, so in my opinion this would be a good time for Evernote to kick up their efforts a notch. I'm having many of the same issues outlined by cmf5, which makes this really a sub-par application on WebOS. It's unfortunate because I really need an app like this, many of the necessary capabilities are there, but the app is buggy and missing a few key features. Unfortunately, there seems to be few alternatives to Evernote on the WebOS platform currently.

It would still be nice to hear from Evernote if there's at least a point release in our future.

• 1 month later...

I've started using Inglorious Apps's "Notes" product. It doesn't quite do "sync"... but it allows for import/export to Google Docs so you can edit both from a PC and from your Pre, and most importantly the data is stored on the Pre as well. I haven't pulled all my data out of Evernote yet, but Notes is looking like a decent alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

As a long LONG time Palm user and current Pre owner, I find the Evernote app seriously lacking.

- Lack of basic editing features that nearly every WebOS app has

- Lack of formatting options

- Inability to even list notebooks and drill down (or at the very list filter the list of notes by notebooks)

WebOS will prevail. HP will be putting out new phones and slates using WebOS. Wouldn't it make sense to attempt to be the premiere note editing/syncing app? The others have already caught up or surpassed you in certain functionality.

I for one would be inclined to become a paying customer if I believed Evernote had serious plans to beef up and support the Pre version.

You'll notice that the Evernote folks don't even respond to the postings regarding Palm. They were very responsive the first six months, but it will probably be September before you see another posting regarding the Pre.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have any ETA for future Palm releases. Like most developers, we're waiting to see what happens post-HP.

Thanks

Dave,

There are a number of developers who are standing by their webOS customers in spite of questions about what happens to the platform "post-HP." I find it very disconcerting that you've apparently abandoned your webOS customers simply because of such uncertainty. It's one thing to simply refuse to write a webOS client in the first place, as some developers have done. It's another to jump on the bandwagon when the platform is first introduced to much hype, and then abandon it as you've done so far simply because it's not popular enough.

There are very real issues with the webOS client, as evidenced by the posts on this board. I think that at the very least, you should fix those issues, or at least issue a statement that you have no plans to do so. That way, we'll just move on to another note-taking tool. But to tell us that you're not going to fix these issues until the platform is proven successful enough is irresponsible at least.

I'm very, very disappointed in Evernote for the way you've treated your customers. I'm a businessperson, and so I understand the need to get a return on investment. But I also understand the need to support those with whom you've created a relationship. You're choosing not to do so, and that makes me very inclined to stop using your service and to make sure that anyone I advise doesn't start.

• Level 5
aboutwebos said:

There are a number of developers who are standing by their webOS customers in spite of questions about what happens to the platform "post-HP." I find it very disconcerting that you've apparently abandoned your webOS customers simply because of such uncertainty. It's one thing to simply refuse to write a webOS client in the first place, as some developers have done. It's another to jump on the bandwagon when the platform is first introduced to much hype, and then abandon it as you've done so far simply because it's not popular enough.

From the other side of the user coin, I would find it very disconcerting to see Evernote invest significant effort into a product that has an unknown future like the HP Pre. If the Pre turns itself around financially, then by all means, turn on the guns and get cracking. But Evernote can't be held responsible because they gave Pre a try at the beginning.

From the latest information from the Evernote blog, PalmOS only represents 0.5% of the total Evernote mobile usage (desktop usage not included).

To put that in perspective, Windows Mobile is 1.2%

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/08/17/4-m ... -counting/

aboutwebos said:

From the other side of the user coin, I would find it very disconcerting to see Evernote invest significant effort into a product that has an unknown future like the HP Pre. If the Pre turns itself around financially, then by all means, turn on the guns and get cracking. But Evernote can't be held responsible because they gave Pre a try at the beginning.

From the latest information from the Evernote blog, PalmOS only represents 0.5% of the total Evernote mobile usage (desktop usage not included).

To put that in perspective, Windows Mobile is 1.2%

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/08/17/4-m ... -counting/

As I said, once Evernote made a client, they put themselves on the hook to at least make it safe. If not, then they should announce that yes, the product may lose data and to use it at the user's own risk, and that no, they don't intend to fix it until/unless HP manages to grow the user base. As it stands, Evernote keeps a bug-ridden and unreliable client sitting in the Palm App Catalog, and refuses to resolve known issues that can and do result in lost data.

That's unacceptable by any definition and from anyone's perspective. Do the right thing, Evernote: fix the issues, or pull the app from the catalog and discontinue support for the webOS client.

And incidentally, it's not the "HP Pre" that we're talking about, despite this subforum's name. It's webOS, which is currently on four devices on three carriers in the US and multiple international carriers, and is backed by the world's largest technology company. HP has already indicated that it will be investing hundreds of millions of dollars into the platform, including putting webOS on new smartphones soon, a tablet in early 2011, and numerous other connected devices. If that's not enough to induce Evernote to at least fix the known issues with the client that are resulting in users losing data, then I have to question Evernote's judgement.

We'd love to see the WebOS platform succeed at HP, but our resources are limited, so the WebOS client is currently on the "back burner" while we wait to see what happens with the platform.

Thanks

We'd love to see the WebOS platform succeed at HP, but our resources are limited, so the WebOS client is currently on the "back burner" while we wait to see what happens with the platform.

Thanks

Which means to all Palm Pre owners, "DON'T use Evernote."

Thanks

Dave,

I'll say again what I've said elsewhere on the forum. Not adding new features is one thing, although shortsighted and an affront to your loyal webOS users. Not fixing bugs, however, is another. It's downright irresponsible. If you're putting the webOS client "on the back burner," then make that announcement and remove it from the App Catalog. Keeping it in the catalog while refusing to fix data-losing bugs is unbelievable, frankly.

Thanks

I'm furious. What you're saying is I should cancel my premium account and leave then, yes?

Because I love Evernote but agree the post above: at least fix the errors and issues in the current version.

Thanks

I'm furious. What you're saying is I should cancel my premium account and leave then, yes?

Because I love Evernote but agree the post above: at least fix the errors and issues in the current version.

Why pay for something that doesn't work properly and can/does corrupt data? The "free" version will do that!

Thanks

Why pay for something that doesn't work properly and can/does corrupt data? The "free" version will do that!

Done and done. You can have my money when you support my preferred platform.

This is very sad news indeed. I've been a Premium subscriber from the day I downloaded Evernote from the Palm App Catalog. I've never even approached the bandwidth limits of the free account--I've retained my Premium account all this time because I appreciate the service. I've evangelized Evernote as well--getting other webOS users as well as some Blackberry and iPhone users turned onto Evernote.

Pausing development of additional features is one thing but the bottom line is they should fix bugs that can result in data loss. They've had a product available for 14 months and should not simply pull it because they don't like the platform anymore. Customers have made investments of time and data (if not money) and should be given a way to keep using what they're using.

• 2 months later...

At a minimum, Evernote should invest the probably two hours it would take to get rid of the dataloss bugs. A quick fix so that notes don't get stuck in pending mode is essential. Other than that, wait and see is okay, due to the fact that it's pretty clear webOS isn't about to drop off the face of the earth: HP have just released a new phone!

But please, do take the minuscule amount of effort needed just to fix the most egregious errors. What do we in the Palm community need to do to make this happen? If we raised a bounty could we buy an update? Tell us? We have no other good note-taking options.

To leave a product out there that actually looses users' data is absolutely unacceptable and unconscionable. At a bare minimum, fix the dataloss bugs.

Whenever you can give us a heads up as to what major features will be included in the next version, I'd certainly appreciate it. I've been moving data out of Evernote into other apps since it wasn't looking promising for your future support of WebOS.

Hi folks -

We've got an update to the Palm/WebOS version that addresses some of the data loss bugs:

http://update.evernote.com/prerelease/E ... .0_all.ipk

We're also working on some more significant improvements that we will make available, first on the forum, and then in the Palm catalog.

Thanks for your comments.

This is huge! Thank you so much. I'm going to see if I can get PreCentral to tell the world that Evernote for webOS isn't quite dead yet!

I will see if I can get things stuck in the pending uploads. If not, kudos are definitely in order.

THANK YOU for addressing some of the outstanding issues and looking to the future! :) Evernote is a great cross-platform information management solution and I look forward to seeing it evolve into a strong solution for HP webOS as well.

I'm very happy to see Evernote update the webOS client to at least resolve the known data-losing bugs. I don't fault Evernote for holding off on improvements, although I do think it's a bit short-sighted. Nevertheless, HP-Palm does need to prove that they're going to make the platform viable, and so I can understand Evernote devoting their resources to enhancing more popular platforms in the meantime. Now that the bugs have been fixed, I have to say that Evernote has done the right thing.

Thanks folks!

Thanks for the update!

I've been considering moving to Evernote from OneNote for quite a while. The recent Livescribe integration pushed me closer. This will likely push me over the edge into Evernote land.

I very much look forward to more updates.

Thanks again,

- Mark

THANK YOU SO MUCH

just downloaded and installed via palm-install. I hadn't encountered the bugs in the previous version, though largely I use evernote on my pre for reading notes, not creating/editing. I use it daily though, and never would have if it wasn't for the webOS app --back on launch day for the Pre (2009.06.06), the palm app store actually introduced me to the app. I had let my pro account lapse, as it seemed like evernote had given up on this wonderful platform.

I guess I should re-up that account now, though maybe I'll wait for a modern Linux version (though thanks for keeping the old version that runs well under wine around).

I can also confirm that it displays the correct version number in the app catalog once installed:

5118490766_d0576a2427_o.png

About freaking time. Lack of updates and information and the horrid version that was released made me upset that I actually moved my Onenote data to evernote. Don't get me wrong desktop app is good but without good mobile client this is absolutely useless. I for one was going to upgrade to premium version but after the "wait and see" approach I decided to "wait and see" with my money. Once the app is up to par with its iphone and android counterparts you will get another sale, until then I'm not pay sorry.

Hi,

just wanted to drop by and say thank you for the update. I moved from Android to WebOS (much better) adn the lack of proper Evernote client was dissapointing. I was preparing to move myself to some other system but will stay for now. But i think offline storage is a must for every note-taking application.

Marijan

I'm very glad to see Evernote working on their WebOS app. I started using Evernote as a replacement for the Palm Notes app, and suggest it to my father as well. After I got an iPad I installed Evernote on it and appreciated the synchronization. While on a trip a few weeks ago, I upgraded to premium to have the offline notes on my iPad. I only got one month, but if offline worked on my Pre Plus as well, I would not only keep my upgrade longer, but I would probably get it for my dad as well.

• 1 month later...
Hi folks -

We've got an update to the Palm/WebOS version that addresses some of the data loss bugs:

http://update.evernote.com/prerelease/E ... .0_all.ipk

We're also working on some more significant improvements that we will make available, first on the forum, and then in the Palm catalog.

Thanks for your comments.

Hi Dave,

SInce this update did not fix the notes-coming-up-blank problem for many folks, can you give us an update on that?

Thanks,

-Brian

Archived