Request: Option to hide certain notebook contents from All Notes

David Chartier

Idea

One of my uses for Evernote is bookmarking and arching web pages. But I usually want to see those notes, bookmarks, and archives only when I venture into that notebook to find something; I don't want to see those notes in All Notes and I don't want them surfacing in search.

Could you give us a way to designate a notebook's contents to be hidden from All Notes, and ideally search as well?

FWIW, I am nearly 100% iPad (and iPhone) these days. My MacBook is usually on a shelf.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This seems to be a contradiction to the term "All"

Think of it like how Apple's Photos works, particular the in-app Photos tab.

It's a chronological list of all your photos, but any that you've marked as "Hidden" (an option in the bottom row of the share sheet) don't appear there. You have to visit Albums > Hidden to see them.

Maybe we could even apply that idea here. In the settings area of each notebook (with options to keep offline, or add to shortcuts), there could be a "Hidden" toggle. If enabled, the notebook's contents don't appear in All Notes or search, only when viewing that notebook directly. 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, David Chartier said:

Could you give us a way to designate a notebook's contents to be hidden from All Notes

This seems to be a contradiction to the term "All"

>>I don't want them surfacing in search.

We've seen this request before, in regards to archived notes

My solution is to apply a tag (archive), and use -tag:archive in my searches

Unfortunately this doesn't work for notebooks; you can't use the search term -notebook:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Don't see the attraction (or the need) - but Developers will see the post here and if it gets enough votes,  you might see it in a future update.  Meantime an 'acrhve' tag and a shortcut to the saved search "-tag:archive" gives me a quick clean-up whenever necessary.  Which is pretty much like marking individual items 'hidden' - and you could use that (or any other label) for a tag if you prefer..