Canned/custom text formatting profiles

bdkeadle

Idea

As I take notes, there are times that I like to set text/block to a specific format (Courier, 9pt) to stand out in my note (programming code).  It would be nice to have off the context menu a choice to format the text to my named style.

Screenshot 2017-03-14 10.26.18.png

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The best way to do this in Evernote currently is to make a template note formatted the way that you want it (and possibly tagged), and duplicate/copy it as needed. Some people export these notes to their desktop, which you can drag into the Evernote application to make a new note.

No, that's not the point.  I want a "regular" formatting, until I'm adding "code", to which I want to apply some defined formatting just for the selection within the note.

This is a feature request, because there currently is not a function to do this.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, bdkeadle said:

No, that's not the point.  I want a "regular" formatting, until I'm adding "code", to which I want to apply some defined formatting just for the selection within the note.

I understood the request. Predefined formatting is something that's been requested in the past. But it's often good form in the forums to offer workarounds to people who may not be aware of all of Evernote's features, and also because feature requests may take awhile to be implemented, if at all. The hint was "best way to do this in Evernote currently". 

In the vein of a further usage hint, for those who need one, Ctrl+Shift+L in the Windows client will format the selected text as "code". No way to change the code style currently, which would be nice, it's "Monaco,9".

My apologies for coming across unappreciative.  Thank you for you quick response.  Glad to hear it was requested in the past, hopefully in some near future will see this added functionality.  Is this the forum to make such a feature request that Evernote product management will see?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, bdkeadle said:

My apologies for coming across unappreciative.

And I for being snippy in response. Bygones!!

1 hour ago, bdkeadle said:

Is this the forum to make such a feature request that Evernote product management will see?

It is; this one's specific to the Evernote Windows product. Each product has its own Product Feedback subforum, plus there's a general Evernote Feature Requests subforum for cross-product requests. It's not always clear which forum is absolutely the most appropriate, but we've been assured over the years that Evernote reads every post, and I have no reason to think that that's not true, though they don't respond to everything.. I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but given the volume of postings here, I'd guess that certain PMs, developers and support people only look at their own particular forums, but everything is covered by someone.

While there is no way to customize it yourself, you might want to check out the "code block" feature if you haven't already. If you select the text you want to add the defined formatting to, and click the {} in the formatting toolbar (or Ctrl+Shift+L), the text will be inserted and re-formatted into a block.

I'm not sure where gustavgi's reply went that I received by email, but his answer is great...just what I was looking for...in fact, even better. I overlooked that icon.

Now if only it could place the code block at the indention I have.  Currently it moves the code block all the way to the left margin of the note.  Shouldn't it "honor" where my indented cursor is when placing the block.

Archived