Nested Notebooks?

G1gop

Is it possible to have 'nested notebooks'?

I have a lot of manuals that i want to put on Evernote but rather then having just a liad of notebooks, I would like to nest then.

E.g. photography

Then film data sheets,

Camera manuals ( with  sub books of manuafacturer ).

This would be very useful as i have many data sheets etc that i use a lot and evernote would be an ideal place for them

Thanks

Alan

• Level 5*

No, it is not possible to have nested notebooks in Evernote. Please search the forums for 'nested notebooks' and you will see plenty of requests for it, dating back about 8 years. Find one of the requests and add your vote.

Note that the Evernote 'way' would probably be to use tags rather than notebooks, at least that's what the Evernote CTO at the time suggested in forum discussions.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, G1gop said:

I have a lot of manuals that i want to put on Evernote but rather then having just a liad of notebooks, I would like to nest then.

E.g. photography

Then film data sheets,

Camera manuals ( with  sub books of manuafacturer ).

As @jefito posted, the Evernote solution is tags. for example tag:photography, tag:film_data_sheets, tag:camera_manuals, tag:manufacturer

Tags can also be organized in a hierarchy on the Win/Mac platforms

Hi,

I tried tags and could get it to work as I would like.

I am talking about many hundred notes and it ends up just to messy.

Thank you for replying. If they haven' t implimented it in so long of people asking, then they are not going to.

I need to rethink my sub to Evernote and pos look for another solution.

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As @jefito posted, the Evernote solution is tags. for example tag:photography, tag:film_data_sheets, tag:camera_manuals, tag:manufacturer

Tags can also be organized in a hierarchy on the Win/Mac platforms

I use Linux,unix,Solaris etc.

By using tags I would end up with about 250 notes in a notebook. I found it 'messy'

• Level 5*
Just now, G1gop said:

By using tags I would end up with about 250 notes in a notebook. I found it 'messy'

I mostly only use a single notebook (Filing) and have 10k+ notes
No question of it being messy since my notes are organized by tags

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, G1gop said:

So you always look for them by tags?

I would like to hear how you manage so many using tags alone.

I mostly retrieve notes by tag
- I sort by title to give an order to the notes; I can also sort on date
I also have to option to use the search feature; a general search or intitle:xxxxxx
I have shortcuts set up for frequent searches, or work in progress

You example was:  photography, Then film data sheets, Camera manuals ( with  sub books of manuafacturer )

I would have tags like
- photography
- photo-ds2017_03_03 (I have no idea what a film data sheet is)
- camera

- vndr_kodak
- camera_kodak_xxxxaabbnn
- camera_pentax

I aso use note-title to identify my notes, for example
- camera kodak xxxxaabbnn manual
- camera kodak xxxxaabbnn specs
- receipt kodak 2017/03/01 Camera xxxxaabbnn $nn.nn

• Level 5*

I'm in the middle of a fairly big taxonomy project,  so while normally I'd have around 25K notes in one notebook,  I'm temporarily up to 35K notes - the balance being in 50 additional and (I hope) temporary notebooks while the work is ongoing.  The temporary notebooks make working with a lot of notes a little easier,  but once I've processed each notebook's content,  I'll tag all the notes with the name of the notebook and merge them into one.

Finding notes in such a large collection is down to three things -

1. searching for note content - using your example,  I'd maybe look for "Nikon depth of field" and not really care whether the answers came from camera manuals or published tip sheets.  I want information about a subject,  not necessarily from a specific type of source.
  2. using 'intitle:' searches - if I knew I wanted to know more about Lightroom generally,  it's reasonable to assume that the source will have been titled something like "50 ways to improve your lightroom workflow" so intitle:lightroom will get me closer.  Add intitle:workflow or other keywords to the search to zone in further.
  3. using tags - it makes sense to add a manufacturer tag to technical stuff,  so you can narrow down some searches to the 'official' line rather than some user's hot tip that maybe only works with one version of that brand.  You might also add tags for publication years - as in '2010' etc to narrow down to more recent,  or aim for older versions of your search term.

Searching is a lot more flexible and sophisticated than it may look at first glance - see How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax for more on that.

Evernote has lots of support for tags too -

Tips for organizing notes, notebooks, and tags

Organize with tags

Oh - and don't forget saved searches... How to create shortcuts for frequently accessed notes, notebooks, and searches

Don't be scared of big blocks of information - the details are in there somewhere,  and a search will always find them.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, G1gop said:

If they haven' t implimented it in so long of people asking, then they are not going to.

Yep.

2 hours ago, G1gop said:

250 notes in a notebook is not a big deal: use tags as your organizing principle, not notebooks. Notebooks in Evernote are good for organizing groups of notes that you want to share with others, or for designating groups of notes that you want to always be available on your mobile devices, or for the desktop clients, designating groups of notes that you don't want to be synced to the Evernote servers.

Archived