Making Copies of Entire Notebooks

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, persistentone said:

Is there any simple way to make a copy of an entire Notebook from time to time, just to have a time-stamped backup for disaster recovery?

Backup of Notebooks is very easy on the Win/Mac platforms. 

- select the notes, then Export

- I have this scripted on my Mac, and there are third party apps, for example Backupery

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Backup of Notebooks is very easy on the Win/Mac platforms. 

- select the notes, then Export

- I have this scripted on my Mac, and there are third party apps, for example Backupery

If I select a Notebook, and then at the File menu I select Export, is this exporting:

1) Just the currently selected Note(s) in the currently selected Notebook?

2) All Notes in the currently selected Notebook?

3) All Notes in all Notebooks?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, persistentone said:

If I select a Notebook, and then at the File menu I select Export, is this exporting:

1) Just the currently selected Note(s) in the currently selected Notebook?

2) All Notes in the currently selected Notebook?

3) All Notes in all Notebooks?

On my Mac, I have to select the notes; command A is the shortcut for select all 58c74930c77a5_ScreenShot2017-03-13at6_34_38PM.png.dd423f7ebb69ac6a941e33029dcdb556.png

I could also go to the Notebook page, right click and select export

24 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On my Mac, I have to select the notes; command A is the shortcut for select all 58c74930c77a5_ScreenShot2017-03-13at6_34_38PM.png.dd423f7ebb69ac6a941e33029dcdb556.png

I could also go to the Notebook page, right click and select export

When I right click the Notebook and select the Export option, it isn't clear does that auto-select every Note in the Notebook, or is the action only applying to the Notes you have manually selected?   I guess it could behave differently on Mac and Windows as well.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, persistentone said:

When I right click the Notebook and select the Export option, it isn't clear does that auto-select every Note in the Notebook, or is the action only applying to the Notes you have manually selected?

You right click on the notebook, you get the whole notebook. When you have notes selected, right clicking on one of the selected notes and selecting Export will export only the selection. When you get the Export dialog, the number of notes to be exported is shown at the top.'

Moved to Windows Help subforum. Please post there for Windows specific questions. The Plus/Premium Questions forum is for questions about Evernote's paid services, not for how to use Evernote.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

You right click on the notebook, you get the whole notebook. When you have notes selected, right clicking on one of the selected notes and selecting Export will export only the selection. When you get the Export dialog, the number of notes to be exported is shown at the top.'

Moved to Windows Help subforum. Please post there for Windows specific questions. The Plus/Premium Questions forum is for questions about Evernote's paid services, not for how to use Evernote.

In the Windows product, I just tested this and selecting the Notebook and File | Export only exported one Note, the currently selected Note.    I had to ctrl+a select all Notes, then File | Export placed all of the Notes into a single export file.   Just FYI.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, persistentone said:

In the Windows product, I just tested this and selecting the Notebook and File | Export only exported one Note, the currently selected Note.    I had to ctrl+a select all Notes, then File | Export placed all of the Notes into a single export file.

One more time: Right click on the notebook, you should get a menu. From that menu, select "Export Notes...". All notes in the notebook will be exported. Why would you right-click on a notebook if you're not going to use the right-click menu?

If you select a notebook, then use the File / Export.. menu item, that will export selected notes. Or right click on a selected note, and "Export Notes..." will export the selected notes.

These are two separate operations.

7 hours ago, jefito said:

One more time: Right click on the notebook, you should get a menu. From that menu, select "Export Notes...". All notes in the notebook will be exported. Why would you right-click on a notebook if you're not going to use the right-click menu?

If you select a notebook, then use the File / Export.. menu item, that will export selected notes. Or right click on a selected note, and "Export Notes..." will export the selected notes.

These are two separate operations.

Oops. :)   Thanks for setting me straight.

As a user interface improvement, they might want to change these menus to read:

For the right-click action:   "Export All Notes"

For the file-menu action:  "Export Selected Notes"

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, persistentone said:

For the right-click action:   "Export All Notes"

For the file-menu action:  "Export Selected Notes"

That would be good; as far as I can tell, they're distinct operations. The right click would need to be "Export Notebook" or "Export All Notes in Notebook" to be more precise (distinct from export-all-of-your-notes, which is generally not a great idea with respect to .enex format, since the notebook name is not included in exports to that format).

Archived