Any Way to Confirm Deletions of Notes?

• Level 5

Hitting the delete key, does not delete the note, but merely moves it to the trash notebook.

If you need a second step to avoid accidentally deleting the note, you could

1.) Right click on the note title in the Note List Panel.

2.) Select Move Note to Trash (consider that as the Evernote warning)

Notes moved to the Trash notebook can be restored.

11 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

Hitting the delete key, does not delete the note, but merely moves it to the trash notebook.

If you need a second step to avoid accidentally deleting the note, you could

1.) Right click on the note title in the Note List Panel.

2.) Select Move Note to Trash (consider that as the Evernote warning)

Notes moved to the Trash notebook can be restored.

All this I know.  As my original question said it is too easy to *ACCIDENTALLY* delete a Note and *NOT REALIZE YOU DID IT*.

So unless they implement a feature that brings up a modal dialog to confirm the deletion, there is no way to prevent the situation where you accidentally hit the delete key.

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, persistentone said:

So unless they implement a feature that brings up a modal dialog to confirm the deletion, there is no way to prevent the situation where you accidentally hit the delete key.

OK. The straight answer with no additional workaround tips. 

If you continue to keep accidentally hitting your Delete key, then you will have to check the trash notebook on a regular basis.

As Henny Youngman used to say:

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." 

The doctor says, "Then don't do that!" 

1 minute ago, jbenson2 said:

OK. The straight answer with no additional workaround tips. 

If you continue to keep accidentally hitting your Delete key, then you will have to check the trash notebook on a regular basis.

As Henny Youngman used to say:

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." 

The doctor says, "Then don't do that!" 

Right.   I was just hoping that they anticipated this and added an option somewhere.  I hope to see that in a future release.

• 1 month later...

Is the request to add a configuration option to force a confirmation of Note deletion even on the EverNote feature to-do list?

The more I use the product the more I see that many EverNote users are probably deleting Notes and never realizing they did it.

It is not realistic to assume that these users did - or will - develop any habit to methodically pick through their trash bin looking for accidental deletions.

The user interface as implemented is simply dangerous.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, persistentone said:

Is the request to add a configuration option to force a confirmation of Note deletion even on the EverNote feature to-do list?

Doubt it -- note that feature requests here are not always going to be turned directly into actual action items in the Evernote bugbase.

This request has certainly come up before (so it's not an issue of whether they have or haven't "anticipated" this), see e.g.:

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea (although doing a web search, possibly a forum search before making requests can be helpful, to avoid redundant requests); this is just to answer any questions about feature requests vs. Evernote action items, and whether this has been encountered before.

• 6 months later...

I notice that somehow I occasionally accidentally delete a note. I work on computers for a living, so I'm not one to commonly engage in accidental inputs, but being imperfect, it does happen. When it does in Evernote, I usually don't realize it. With other things I do, so it is to easy to delete notes without realizing it. There should be an option to confirm deletion.

• Level 5
7 minutes ago, Iceman24 said:

I notice that somehow I occasionally accidentally delete a note. I work on computers for a living, so I'm not one to commonly engage in accidental inputs, but being imperfect, it does happen. When it does in Evernote, I usually don't realize it. With other things I do, so it is to easy to delete notes without realizing it. There should be an option to confirm deletion.

I agree that that could be useful. But I assure you that if it is implemented, there will be a dozen people here complaining about it and saying, "What the **? I'm not an idiot, I only delete things when I mean to delete them, don't hold my hand like I'm a **ing idiot, don't ask for confirmation, just delete it, I'm not an idiot!" (I'm trying to impersonate the style of the typical Evernote complainer here, you and I not being such.) Then there will be an outcry to make this configurable in the program options dialog. If that is done, there will be complaints along the lines of "Hey, look how overloaded the options dialog is getting, it's hard to find the things I really want!" I have no idea whether Evernote programmers take this predictable sequence into account. But be assured, for everyone who requests a feature change there will be at least one who detests it. Don't know if that falls under Parkinson's Law or the Peter Principle, but it's real.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Iceman24 said:

There should be an option to confirm deletion.

It’s a  good idea (option to confirm deletion)  There’s a request for this feature in the post linked below.  You can indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

Archived