Mac Safari Webclipper - nothing happens

I thought the previous version of clipper was fun enough (constantly being asked to sign in, suggestions to "why not clip this PDF" on every single PDF opened) but it's now not working at all.

When I click the evernote button a new tabs opens and ends up at URL www.evernote.com/ClipperSuccess.action?canClose=true&login=true    This quickly closes leaving me back on the page I wanted to clip but nothing else happens.

I've already tried reinstalling the extension (now on 6.11), restarting browser, clearing all evernote cookies/local storage.

Screen_Shot_2017-03-08_at_12_06_49.jpg

Update: This was resolved as follows: 

• Uninstall the Evernote Web Clipper in Safari by navigating to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper and choose Uninstall
  • From the menubar, choose Safari > Clear History and choose All History > **Clear History
  • On your keyboard, press ⌘ command + ⌥ option + esc simultaneously, then select Safari and choose Force Quit
  • Restart your Mac
  • Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper
  • If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer choose Install from Developer.
  • Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed
Edited by Andrew R
Updated with resolution
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks have done a lot of good work to come up with ways to fix this. The problem is, and Evernote is not acknowledging it, these solutions require USERS to uninstall potentially many things, clear out low-level (relatively speaking) files, then execute various restarts and reinstalls until finally - hopefully - the Evernote Web Clipper works. (And those results seem a little mixed as to success.) Casual users who just expect products to work likely will not do this, or worse, end up breaking something they can't fix. While I am a fairly experienced user, this is too much of a pain when I can just use the One Note clipper to do the same thing for the relatively few items (in the big scheme of things) that I actually clip. Sure, it means I have to use a separate app to view them. But that is less intrusive (for me) than trying to fix something that is not designed well. A better approach, if Evernote would think of users first, would be to provide an update that replaces the (obviously) defective version of the Web Clipper and as part of the installation process clears out the files no longer needed by the extension. There is just something wrong with a solution that requires me to uninstall extensions from companies A-E in order to reinstall a malfunctioning version of an extension from company F.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like Evernote doesn't give a hood. Shameful that they are not replying after many months of complaints. I had one out of 4 working Macs left. I had to do a clean install and after that web clipper is a bit like Donald Trump. It finds itself a big succes and says even so overtime when clicking the icon. Nothing happens of course. 

I am getting fed up. Need to see if an alternative service is working.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, The Barbarian said:

Shameful that they are not replying after many months of complaints

In the nearly 10 years of this forum,  Evernote have never replied to complaints or requests except very very occasionally if they needed more information from the poster. 

The way to get a direct response is to contact Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Like 1
On 8/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, adcbc said:

You have to set Safari's privacy preferences to allow cookies from websites I visit, otherwise clipper won't work.

*** This worked for me! Thank you so much! ***

This is the solution folks. Just wanted everyone to know. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 02/09/2017 at 5:02 PM, pbubblegum said:

Has a true fix ever been developed? I've tried everything here but nothing works.

There seems to be a fix which works for lots of users - see above.  If all else fails,  contact Support.  You can contact them directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled upon this same symptom in September 28, 2017 after installing WebClipper for the first time. Lost a browser session full of open tabs while trying to resolve it. Simply by restarting my browser, for some reason Safari did not restore the opened tabs. Nothing that can not be googled again but a pain in the 455.

I'd recommend to not use WebClipper and just try plain copy and paste.

The webclipper is the only reason to stay with evernote, but this has happened to me before and it's happening again now. None of the above solutions work for me, and I've had enough now—I can't be bothered to waste more time on this shoddy product. I'm a premium customer, but I won't be renewing. It's DEVONthink all the way from now on.

I have now read through several threads on this topic.

I am having the same issue on Safari Version 11.0 (12604.1.38.1.7), and Webclipper 6.12.4

I have tried all the proposed solutions:

- Enabling all cookies (really?  this is a thing? in 2017?)

- Uninstalling, Clearing history, forcing quit, rebooting, re-installing

- Uninstalling, clearing Safari history, forcing quite, going into Library/Safari/Localfiles and clearing it all out, re-installing

- Logging into Evernote web version

- Shouting very loudly at the screen

Nothing has fixed the unable to log in to Evernote on Safari problem (the "dot" is still on the extension icon, and I get the open tab, login, logout cycle when I try to use it)

The only solution appears to be either (a) Use a different product, (b) Use Chrome

I am an Evernote premium customer - have been for 4+ years - but am now seriously reconsidering.  This is ridiculous.

6 hours ago, hatamoto1961 said:

The webclipper is the only reason to stay with evernote, but this has happened to me before and it's happening again now. None of the above solutions work for me, and I've had enough now—I can't be bothered to waste more time on this shoddy product. I'm a premium customer, but I won't be renewing. It's DEVONthink all the way from now on.

5 hours ago, bluedaze said:

I have now read through several threads on this topic.

I am having the same issue on Safari Version 11.0 (12604.1.38.1.7), and Webclipper 6.12.4

I have tried all the proposed solutions:

- Enabling all cookies (really?  this is a thing? in 2017?)

- Uninstalling, Clearing history, forcing quit, rebooting, re-installing

- Uninstalling, clearing Safari history, forcing quite, going into Library/Safari/Localfiles and clearing it all out, re-installing

- Logging into Evernote web version

- Shouting very loudly at the screen

Nothing has fixed the unable to log in to Evernote on Safari problem (the "dot" is still on the extension icon, and I get the open tab, login, logout cycle when I try to use it)

The only solution appears to be either (a) Use a different product, (b) Use Chrome

I am an Evernote premium customer - have been for 4+ years - but am now seriously reconsidering.  This is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, laike9m said:

Having the same problem:huh:

3 hours ago, fvandersluijs said:

Me too! Since today :wacko:

2 hours ago, laferrereta said:

Just started happening to me too. Have tried the above fixes with no success. It works using Firefox, but this is NOT my preferred workaround!

1 hour ago, danAr said:

Yes, I am having the same problem as well. When I click on the clipper button it only reloads the website again. Have tried the whole reboot, clear cache, reinstall clipper. nothin works.

18 minutes ago, Abd said:

Is there any alternative to Evernote? I'm tired of paying for this garbage that keeps on regressing with each passing year.

Hey all, it sounds like you've encountered a new issue we've identified. There's more information here:

Got this problem today. Nearly got mad about this. I tried everything mentioned above. I visited the evernote.com website and logged in. After I closed the site and and reopened it, I had to login again. 

I now discovered, that suddenly a "remember me for 30 days" option was available on the login page. I clicked this and now the web clipper works again. 

I'm absolutely sure, that this option was not visible to me the whole day. Strange behavior.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 7:37 AM, Suzie Q. said:

*** This worked for me! Thank you so much! ***

This is the solution folks. Just wanted everyone to know. :)

Worked for me too. Changed setting from "current website" to sites I visit. Thought that was how I had it set already, but I was mistaken. Thanks!

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, zebu fleckvieh said:

Here's a quote I found that really describes my feelings:  "I felt like I was struggling with something that was supposed to solve my problem." 

from this lovely little article:  'Evernote is About to be Crushed'

http://techrail.in/evernote-is-about-to-be-crushed-by-competition

Seems like that link is to a post that's at least 3 years old.  at 220M users Evernote still seems to be struggling along...

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I was having the same problem as everybody here for over a year, i thought I had tried everything. Reading this thread, though,  I thought that MAYBE THE CULPRIT WAS THE NEW EXTENSION ITSELF (it updates in the background, leaving us unaware of the change: thus the  « it broke suddenly »).

So I connected an old MacBook that had an identical system, but had never been updated to the new Web Clipper extension, and lo and behold, after installing the old extension (6.9.0-b.25 (5134137/1.1.0.926). IT WORKS!

This was driving me crazy and I feel so much better now. Thank you all for putting me on the right track, finally.

—mh

MacBook Pro running TIGER: running High Sierra on the same machine, with the new clipper, never caused a problem.

Capture d’écran 2017-11-28 à 18.27.33.jpg

Oh and after installing the old extension, I DISABLED AUTOMATIC UPDATES in the Safari extensions preferences, otherwise I will be stuck with the same problem at the first update. That's fine with me, as long as I have the clipper back.

I had the same issue: I installed the Evernote web clipper extension, but nothing would happen when I would click on the icon. It turns out the version I was using did not support the Evernote web clipper. I upgraded my Mac to High Sierra and the web clipper works just fine now.

• 2 months later...

I'm in the same boat. Clipper just stopped working one day and no matter what I do it just doesnt seem to want to come back. I don't have the time to be constantly troubleshooting this. I just need a fix or I'm out. Has anyone found any other solutions which might solve it for me? I'm on Safari 11.0.3 and Evernote 6.13.1 and clipper 6.13.2.

I'm getting tired of having to fuss with the web clipper, trying x or y, and it working sometimes and not other times. I run the latest versions of Mac software and updates. If Evernote does not make this bulletproof, the entire platform is USELESS in my view. I'm a premium user but will become a non user shortly. Frankly, I think Evernote should consider this fix perhaps one of their highest priorities to get done right, and should consider their inability as a threat to their existence. I am not recommending the application to my friends and co-workers due to this problem alone. It's a major hassle!

• Level 5*

Evernote Clipper has the disadvantage that every browser is being updated frequently - with Firefox and Chrome I believe it's daily - following a road map of its own.  Firefox (they say) just went to a whole new architecture.  Evernote have to try to stay on top of any changes that might affect Clipper - and some times it takes a while to catch up.  So far (touch wood) my Firefox clipper is still working,  even with the new version.  There have been a couple of threads about this so it sounds like Safari might have changed - again - to cause a new problem.

To make sure that they're aware of any issues as quickly as possible I'd recommend everyone reports them to Support - they are available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.

• 5 months later...
在 2017/11/29 在 AM8點40分, mhrob說:

I was having the same problem as everybody here for over a year, i thought I had tried everything. Reading this thread, though,  I thought that MAYBE THE CULPRIT WAS THE NEW EXTENSION ITSELF (it updates in the background, leaving us unaware of the change: thus the  « it broke suddenly »).

So I connected an old MacBook that had an identical system, but had never been updated to the new Web Clipper extension, and lo and behold, after installing the old extension (6.9.0-b.25 (5134137/1.1.0.926). IT WORKS!

This was driving me crazy and I feel so much better now. Thank you all for putting me on the right track, finally.

—mh

MacBook Pro running TIGER: running High Sierra on the same machine, with the new clipper, never caused a problem.

Capture d’écran 2017-11-28 à 18.27.33.jpg

Hello, mhrob, Do you have the history clipper version of safari ? Could you please give me one ? I am tried to find old clipper extension 

• 2 months later...

My problem is that the clipper outlines the article to be clipped but does not offer a dialogue box to allow it to be saved.  I followed the instructions above.  It turns out that Apple no longer allows the Evernote developer file to be used, giving only the Safari Extensions version and saying it no longer supports the developer's version. Using the Safari Extensions version leads to the same problem I was having before.

Can anyone help?  Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

I signed up on the forums to voice my complaints on this issue. there are multiple threads, and we have to take steps to clear cache both through safari AND through finder to get this simple service to work despite paying for the service? what a con.

switching after my current subscription ends. 

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, rebelsoul said:

I signed up on the forums to voice my complaints on this issue. there are multiple threads, and we have to take steps to clear cache both through safari AND through finder to get this simple service to work despite paying for the service? what a con.

switching after my current subscription ends. 

Seems a tad harsh to fault Evernote for not yet finding a way around another developer's code changes when Evernote do give you access to the service on multiple devices,  more or less unlimited storage and a very good filing and finding service.  And other browser clippers work,  just not Safari - although: 

• Level 5

There is a gap of more than 1 year between the above 2 postings here.

The issues discussed in the initial thread have nothing to do with the problems that came when Apple surprise-launched Safari 13 for all Apple devices, and force-loaded it to many users. Yes, EN was caught unprepared, since their release plan was oriented at the Catalina release, not at a iOS/ Safari release 4 weeks earlier that up to my knowledge was not properly communicated by Apple.

IMHO EN reacted properly: Stating there was a problem, offering an immediate work around („use another browser“, which of course is an un-be-lievable hardship and total, complete psychological stress, to make this very very very clear to everybody ...) and communicating on progress several times. I really appreciate that they did not press any immature software as a „fix“, but released when ready, and made a strategy to release additional functions after getting the core product out to us users.

But some people will complain, which is the birth right of western consumers, no matter what. So let everybody make his statement, and collect new user experience somewhere else ...

• Like 1