Jump to content
  • 1

Screwy notes from web pages-Android web clipper/Chrome


suobs

Idea

Web clipper in Chrome Android doesn't really work.  Has two options, either "Create new note with text" (all this seems to do is create a note with a link in it) or "Clip full article", which is even weirder.  

Attached is a screenshot of part of an EN note created with the Chrome Android web clipper, "Clip full article" option.  Most of it is basically illegible and it's not set up like the original article. Other clips come through as long vertical strings of illegible text. These problems don't always happen but they happen enough to make me say it's pretty unreliable. The only other option is apparently to just save a link.  

Very similar unsatisfactory results with the EN web clipper in Ghostery browser Android.

  • The substance of this idea is . . . Can't this stuff be fixed?  
  • In the EN web clipper I use in Opera browser on my laptops, there is an option to create a note as a "Simplified article", which works great, basically moves images to be inline. 
  • Why no option like that in the Android version?
  • What's the deal with the "text" option? Is that what it's supposed to do?

.

 


 

Note1.PNG

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

9 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry this post from a few days ago didn't get a bit more attention,  but 'bumping' it with another thread pointing back to this one is not the way to go.  It's also against forum rules.

I think I already explained to you (in another different thread) the options available under the green 'in progress' swirl when clipping from Android - 'with text' is a book mark,  and 'full page' does exactly what it says on the can - when it can.  Even desktop clipping isn't an exact science - sometimes it's necessary to find a mobile or print version of the page,  because they're usually laid out more simply;  other times a screen shot or printing the whole thing to PDF is easier.

The mobile clipper is less feature rich than the desktop version for reasons of screen size / processor power / storage space / network speed / operating system features / and development time.  It will get better - meantime what you see is what you got.

Link to post
  • 0
On 3/9/2017 at 0:29 PM, gazumped said:

I think I already explained to you (in another different thread) the options available under the green 'in progress' swirl when clipping from Android - 'with text' is a book mark,  and 'full page' does exactly what it says on the can - when it can.  Even desktop clipping isn't an exact science - sometimes it's necessary to find a mo

Thanks for the clarification. It was posted as a suggestion to fix it, not as a question per se and doesn't require an explanation of why it doesn't work consistently. The point being that it doesn't work right. Not clarified (except here) that "with text" means "bookmark" rather than a text-only version of the page, or that "full page" means sometimes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • 0

So to follow up on this a bit regarding why it should be a priority to FIX the Clipper apps, or at least add some kind of error message when a page is being scrambled by EverNote. Earlier I clipped a page on a laptop (shared to EverNote). According to the Clipper app, it had been clipped, but it doesn't offer to let you view the note. When I went to EN desktop app and synced, 17 minutes later it is still not visible in EverNote and still says "Clipping" in the note.  Even slower (much slower) from a phone. In fact, items "clipped" often don't even show in EverNote as "clipping" for hours.

This means that when I clip a web page, unless I wait for it to finish and check the result in EverNote carefully, I don't know until I try to open the note whether the clip was successful or not. Kind of unreliable, no? and not what a customer reasonably expects to happen? There appears to be a lag between a "clip" and the actual creation of a note, so when the Clipper tells you it's done, it really doesn't mean much and doesn't at all verify that what you asked for happened. So tomorrow when I look for something I clipped today, it may or may not be in EverNote and it may or may not be readable. Kind of like sending an email and waiting in suspense for 20 minutes to see if it was actually sent and whether it was formatted correctly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*

I've not noticed clips that didn't complete,  and while it can happen that clipped 'pages' show "clipping" rather than content it's not hard to use the URL link to go back to the original page and clip on desktop.  Plus bearing in mind that phones may be set to sync over wifi only,  and may sync slowly even if they are on wifi,  the clip may not have made it to the server to be downloaded to the desktop by the time you looked.

It's possible that you do have some sort of an issue here - the forum isn't exactly a great place to ask lots of questions about devices and connections;  if this is an issue for you I'd suggest you raise a support ticket if you can,  or reach out on Twitter

Link to post
  • 0

Thanks for your response. However you seem to be suggesting that EN for web-sourced notes really has no purpose that could not be served by bookmarks. Actually, I think notes that have been synced are available offline in the desktop app, so counting on reloading the web page is not a safe bet if you will be away from a connection.

I did not say clips don't complete. I said they take so long that it's not practical to check each one to see whether it arrived and whether it was legible. Although, checking back I see I have two that have been in "clipping" status for six hours.

The experiments using my phone today all used WiFi the whole time, including the two that have been clipping for six hours.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this section of the forum called "Clipper Product Feedback", suggesting that posts would be monitored by or are being transmitted to EverNote? Otherwise, who is the feedback to? My intent was not asking questions - it was making observations about deficiencies in the product that I would think would be useful information to EverNote - basically complaints. Strikes me as redundant to be asked to also submit a ticket.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, suobs said:

Strikes me as redundant to be asked to also submit a ticket.

Duly noted.  Depends on your level of expectation.  Feedback means the developers will consider improving this at some future time;  if you need to improve your experience now - and get some direct feedback on when (or if) a fix is possible - then Support is a better option.  Hence my comment - 

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

if this is an issue for you...

 

Link to post
  • 0
On 3/13/2017 at 3:21 AM, suobs said:

Thanks for your response. However you seem to be suggesting that EN for web-sourced notes really has no purpose that could not be served by bookmarks. Actually, I think notes that have been synced are available offline in the desktop app, so counting on reloading the web page is not a safe bet if you will be away from a connection.

I did not say clips don't complete. I said they take so long that it's not practical to check each one to see whether it arrived and whether it was legible. Although, checking back I see I have two that have been in "clipping" status for six hours.

The experiments using my phone today all used WiFi the whole time, including the two that have been clipping for six hours.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this section of the forum called "Clipper Product Feedback", suggesting that posts would be monitored by or are being transmitted to EverNote? Otherwise, who is the feedback to? My intent was not asking questions - it was making observations about deficiencies in the product that I would think would be useful information to EverNote - basically complaints. Strikes me as redundant to be asked to also submit a ticket.

I have probably the same problem. And I want to be directed to a solution. 

It occurs when I make a clip from Android Chrome using the "Share (to) EN" feature.

I notice that this feature does not seem to give an option or setting as to which type of clip you are saving. I cant tell if I can choose either bookmark or full-page for instance.

Please can someone direct me to a solution. I am trying to do research and am having to repeat a lot of searches and even losing important information. 

Edited by Graham3D
grammar
Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Graham3D said:

I have probably the same problem. And I want to be directed to a solution. 

It occurs when I make a clip from Android Chrome using the "Share (to) EN" feature.

I notice that this feature does not seem to give an option or setting as to which type of clip you are saving. I cant tell if I can choose either bookmark or full-page for instance.

Please can someone direct me to a solution. I am trying to do research and am having to repeat a lot of searches and even losing important information. 

Hi.  You're responding to a 2-year old thread that doesn't really relate to your issue.  When you 'share to' a page,  you get a green round 'in progress' icon on screen.  Tap the icon before it completes and you'll have the chance to choose between full page or bookmark and set notebook and tag options.  The choices are 'sticky' - the share for all subsequent pages will work the same way until you change the choices again.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...