Low performance local notebooks on local server

Hi there, 

I wanted to store my local only notebooks not on my laptop, but on my server I usually connect to via wifi / network connection.

It has incredibly low performance! Can you give me some ideas what to do about it? Pleeease? Or whether this is something related to evernote or my network connection? Stored locally on my laptop, performance was fine... 

Thank you for looking into this!

Ramona

• Level 5*

Hi.

The Windows database includes all synced and unsynced (local) notebooks in one EXB file (Tools > Options > General for the location) - though you presumably are aware of this if you moved the database already.  So the local copy of ALL your notes,  local and otherwise will be on the server,  and Evernote has to zoom back and forth for every operation on any note - of which there will be a lot. 

Users are complaining about the app running slowly on fast systems when the database is on an installed hard drive.  The extra latency of an external drive,  a network connection,  and whatever extra network layers Evernote has to work through won't help.  Evernote staff have warned previously that network drives are not good places to relocate the database.

No workarounds I'm afraid - apart from move the database folder back to the local device HD.

You could try contacting support directly if you're a paying subscriber at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or messaging them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

If the reason for relocation is to do with available disk space,  and you have a number of synced notes on your system,  you might like to investigate the latest Beta app which includes 'optional' syncing.  The local device downloads a search index only,  plus - from that period onwards - only the notes which the user wants to edit or print.  My current 16GB database dropped to 200KB when I tried this process on my laptop.

Archived