Not and idea but where Evernote says is the place

Posted this on the main forum and there was a link to come here. SO I will post the same thing and mods can do whatever

THe original discussion

I have a similar problem on a Thinkpad SL510.  Ive been using note s long time and they have been syncing till last week.  Hadn't changed anything.  I have tried a new activation link  Also  I have tried reauthorize. Get the same error message.  So I uninstalled the sticky notes last night.  I reinstalled this morning.   The sticky notes came back but still wont synca

They will sync computer to computer on my other Thinkpad but not with Evernote

• Level 5*

Hi.  As already said in that thread,  Sticky Notes is not an Evernote product.  It may be that recent changes have stopped it connecting,  but that's down to the third party developer to work out and fix if they're so inclined.  If that is the cause of your problem,  downgrading to an earlier version of Evernote might fix it temporarily,  but that's not recommended,  and a lot of work to no effect if that isn't the reason for this issue...

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, SlimShavings said:

I disnt know Evernote was open source. Other wise somebody had something to do with it

I'm not sure where you're going with this.  You've been told this Sticky Note app is not a  product from Evernote

You HAVE to get an ACTIVATION from EVERNOTE to use the sync.  That means EVERNOTE IS INVOLVED  If its not then ALL your EVERNOTE DATA is COMPROMISED  Doesn't take much brain power to figure that out   EVERNOTE needs to address this. Either it is a certified add on or its not

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, SlimShavings said:

ACTIVATION from EVERNOTE to use the sync.  That means EVERNOTE IS INVOLVED

That's true, and AFAIK Evernote's integration feature is still functional.  I use it with a various services.

The issue you're experienceing has to dealt with by the Sticky Notes developers

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, SlimShavings said:

You HAVE to get an ACTIVATION from EVERNOTE to use the sync.  That means EVERNOTE IS INVOLVED  If its not then ALL your EVERNOTE DATA is COMPROMISED  Doesn't take much brain power to figure that out   EVERNOTE needs to address this. Either it is a certified add on or its not

EN has APIs that other software providers can use.  How  those software providers use them is how they create their interface.  I would be contacting the 3rd party provider.

Seems to be a lack of understanding that this app has NO support , contact info or anything else.  So I would still say Evernote should look into this  Since Evernote is giving "activation keys" they are essentially telling you these people are on the up and up.

• Level 5*

Evernote probably has thousands of apps using their public API to connect to the database (with the permission of the owner).  They're not responsible for the action (or inaction) of any of those apps that are designed,  coded and marketed by third parties - not all of them based in the US.  Providing access to the database is not a validation of any of those services.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Evernote probably has thousands of apps using their public API to connect to the database (with the permission of the owner).  They're not responsible for the action (or inaction) of any of those apps that are designed,  coded and marketed by third parties - not all of them based in the US.  Providing access to the database is not a validation of any of those services.

SO basically anyone can request and activation code and get access to my database without my permission as this one does 
Nice to know Evernote really has no regard for my security.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, SlimShavings said:

SO basically anyone can request and activation code and get access to my database without my permission as this one does 

Only you can grant access to your data58b8aa8a13f10_ScreenShot2017-03-02at3_26_25PM.png.523637217c5e29a8e93dca10d8df8842.png

You can check who you've granted access to in your account settings > Manage Connected Services

Some people seemingly do not want to accept that there may be a time when a small software application is no longer supported by the programmers. Happens all the time, even in the case of pricey software support eventually dies. 

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, SlimShavings said:

Nice to know Evernote really has no regard for my security.

No. Anyone can request an activation code, but to get access to your data, you need to install a program that accesses Evernote's service, and then give it permission for the program to access your data. Evernote cares about your data's security, but it can't protect your data against your own actions (or the actions of your proxy, which is what Sticky Notes would be).

10 hours ago, jefito said:

No. Anyone can request an activation code, but to get access to your data, you need to install a program that accesses Evernote's service, and then give it permission for the program to access your data. Evernote cares about your data's security, but it can't protect your data against your own actions (or the actions of your proxy, which is what Sticky Notes would be).

If Evernote actually let all and sundry gain access to Evernote the 'holy' principle of putting up shields against abuse on all levels would not exist. Are you really sure Evernote do not vet? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

If Evernote actually let all and sundry gain access to Evernote the 'holy' principle of putting up shields against abuse on all levels would not exist. Are you really sure Evernote do not vet? 

I don't think there's much vetting.  Users need to be careful who they grant access to
As a developer, you can go to this site and start the process
https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/authentication.php
Developers submit these requests 58ba4cc9dba5e_ScreenShot2017-03-03at9_11_04PM.png.fcc27bd4fe3efb64f8e8a4d31acfb17a.png

58ba4cc82f307_ScreenShot2017-03-03at9_10_29PM.thumb.png.cd24f39d52e427da980ec9a17324e341.png

• Level 5*

It's been said above but just to be 100% clear:

• There's no vetting of requests for Evernote API keys from third-party developers.
  • The reason there does not need to be any vetting in order for one's Evernote data to be safe from third-party apps is that there is no way for any third-party developer using the Evernote API to access a person's Evernote data without that person explicitly granting access to their Evernote data for that particular third-party app, for a particular length of time.
  • There is, however, vetting for apps listed in the Evernote App Center.  Those apps have undergone a review and approval process by Evernote.  (Which of course does not mean that an app listed there won't ever be discontinued at some point.)

Archived