Automatically sort notebooks into stacks

Is there any way to to automatically sort notebooks into stacks?

Or is there any way to automatically put a new notebook into the shortcuts bar? Or to see a recent notebooks section?

I have gotten into a habit of making new notebooks every day for music setlists and this would save time. Is it possible either within evernote or using any third party applications?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, danklim said:

I have gotten into a habit of making new notebooks every day for music setlists and this would save time. Is it possible either within evernote or using any third party applications?

You do realize that there is a limit of 250 notebooks? 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, danklim said:

no thats a bummer! is there any way to get around that? 

No, that is a firm limit. Tags are a much more powerful and flexible organizational tool than notebooks. To quote myself from another thread:

On 2/26/2017 at 11:44 AM, tavor said:

Familiarize yourself with the concept of pseudo-notebooks - using tags to provide all the hierarchical structure you need. Once you do, there's a good chance your use of notebooks will mirror that of many heavy EN users on this forum. For example:

• a synchronized Inbox
  • a synchronized main notebook
  • a local notebook for sensitive/confidential info
  • shared notebooks as needed

This use of notebooks is broken down by data access as opposed to by note content. 

• Level 5*
On 2/28/2017 at 8:03 PM, danklim said:

Yes, it is certainly possible, but not the way that you're doing it unless you have fairly few setlists. What does a notebook represent in your system? A day? As pointed out by others, you'll soon run out of notebooks. Do you have a lot of sets in a day? Probably not, so each notebook would have a small number of notes, not the best way to use Evernote.

To me, a setlist is a list of songs. That would suggest that a setlist be represented by a note. You can include information about performance location, time, settings, notes, etc. Each note has a creation date, which could represent the performance date. What else is important to your use case?

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, jefito said:

To me, a setlist is a list of songs. That would suggest that a setlist be represented by a note.

An alternative concept would be a day's setlist is a collection of notes for a given time period.

So, notes with a single "SetList" notebook/tag.  If you want to see the setlist for a given date, it's a simple search on Creation Date

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

An alternative concept would be a day's setlist is a collection of notes for a given time period.

You'd maintain duplicate notes for the same songs? If I play a song on two separate days, that's separate notes? Not sure I understand your approach here...

Thanks for all of the input.

19 minutes ago, jefito said:

Yes, it is certainly possible, but not the way that you're doing it unless you have fairly few setlists. What does a notebook represent in your system? A day? As pointed out by others, you'll soon run out of notebooks. Do you have a lot of sets in a day? Probably not, so each notebook would have a small number of notes, not the best way to use Evernote.

To me, a setlist is a list of songs. That would suggest that a setlist be represented by a note. You can include information about performance location, time, settings, notes, etc. Each note has a creation date, which could represent the performance date. What else is important to your use case?

The main reason why i'm using evernote for this is so that I can configure it to work with midi pedals and Keyboard Maestro to easily navigate different songs without the use of my hands AND also to be able to have a big collection of notes that are songs that are able to put each song in multiple setlists easily (by duplicating the notes into more notebooks). I dont think tags will work- the reason im using notebook is because i can order the notes/songs in the setlist by making them into reminders. also, one big note for each setlist won't work bc it will make it less easy to control with the midi pedals (ie no way to switch to next song quickly). I'm thinking the best way to do it is just to continue to use notebooks but merge/remove the notebooks over time when i get near the limit. And i'll just have to take the extra steps to make the newest setlists notebooks in the shortcuts manually.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jefito said:

You'd maintain duplicate notes for the same songs? If I play a song on two separate days, that's separate notes? Not sure I understand your approach here...

The OP is maintaing separate notes for each song/date. I don't see a problem with this.

It gives the flexibility of retrieving different views; for example

1. Setlist for a given date
  2. Play dates for a given song
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, danklim said:

(by duplicating the notes into more notebooks).

The question is whether you need separate notes for each performance of a song. If you don't, then you should check into using note links: you add a link to the song's note to your setlist note, and you can jump to the song note instantly. Saves you from having duplicated song notes (a principle of database design is avoiding needless duplication), unless you actually need to maintain separate song notes for individual song performances (need different midi settings, different key, whatever), in which case, go ahead and duplicate the notes. But the notebook limit is going to be a problem ultimately, so why set yourself up to hassle with it in the future?

one big note for each setlist won't work bc it will make it less easy to control with the midi pedals (ie no way to switch to next song quickly).

Note links *do* give you the ability to switch to the next song quickly, at least on the Windows desktop and my Android devices. You click (tap) on the note link, and go directly to the song note. Then you can easily return to your set list.

• Level 5*

I can configure it to work with midi pedals and Keyboard Maestro to easily navigate different songs without the use of my hands 

Off topic but I'm interested in how you managed the midi pedal integration

>>to be able to have a big collection of notes that are songs that are able to put each song in multiple setlists easily (by duplicating the notes into more notebooks)

uggghhhh on note duplication

I'd use tags instead, but I prefer @jefito's suggestion of a single note with links to the song notes

Archived