"Automatically save edited note" every X seconds?

"Evernote "Automatically save edited note" every X seconds?

I've seen this option in Options/Settings in current EN but haven't noticed it before.

What does it mean? Wasn't Evernote saving the notes automatically already? How does the setting affect the saving of notes? If the setting is every 30 seconds and system is powered off, do I lose the note withing the 30 seconds?

What could be reason to increase the interval..

• Level 5*

Hi.  What version of Evernote do you have?  I can't find an Options > Settings in my desktop app,  nor is there any reference I can find to saving notes after a period...  The only variables are for sync from 5 minutes down to daily...  ???

• Level 5*

If you have Instant sync enabled (Tools - Options - Synchronization) the default is 5 seconds after you leave the note.  There is a registry hack to adjust that, but not sure why one would need to.  Otherwise the sync options are per @gazumped.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, damahaf@gamgling.com said:

"Evernote "Automatically save edited note" every X seconds?

I've seen this option in Options/Settings in current EN but haven't noticed it before.

What does it mean? Wasn't Evernote saving the notes automatically already? How does the setting affect the saving of notes? If the setting is every 30 seconds and system is powered off, do I lose the note withing the 30 seconds?

What could be reason to increase the interval..

You cannot close without saving the note. Evernote is constantly saving but it has intervals set by default at 30 seconds. You can move that up or down, but saving more often will increase the overhead and you may notice the EN window stuttering as it constantly saves the note. 30 seconds should be reasonable which means if your PC loses power, you will lose between 0-29 seconds of editing. 

It still won't sync that note to the server until it hits the sync interval, which is set to 5min by default, so it could be on your machine, you lose power, and you will not be able to get that note in the cloud or other devices until you repower your device up and ensure it syncs.

If you are in an area where power is sketchy and you are constantly losing it, a UPS is probably a better bet than saving more often.

save.png

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

@EdH

Don't remember seeing this Automatically save edited note option before.  You know when it appeared?

Some time ago. Maybe in 6.x, but honestly I think it was before that. I remember playing with it trying to get my machine to quit locking up so much. Never helped. 

• Level 5
On 2/27/2017 at 0:51 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  What version of Evernote do you have?  I can't find an Options > Settings in my desktop app,  nor is there any reference I can find to saving notes after a period...  The only variables are for sync from 5 minutes down to daily...  ???

It's Tools > Options > Note > Note editing options, at the end of that section. As @EdH said, this is distinct from the automatic syncing. This setting simply saves the note to the EN database on your local computer so you don't lose work in the event of a power outage, etc. The Synchronize automatically setting in Options > Synchronize, of course, controls how often the note is synced to the EN servers.

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2017 at 11:50 PM, csihilling said:

@EdH

Don't remember seeing this Automatically save edited note option before.  You know when it appeared?

Maybe it's bit late but still, it may help someone later eventually: to see this option you need to tick check box "Show advanced options"

Archived