Links from Evernote to Dropbox file across two Macs

Does anyone have any good tips for me please?

I use two macs (work & home) that are synced by Dropbox. I also use Evernote/Notes as a kind landing strip for projects and like to add 'file://' to the path to create links, e.g,. '/Users/work/Dropbox/untitled.txt' becomes 'file:///Users/work/Dropbox/untitled.txt'. This takes me from Evernote/Notes to the Dropbox file/folder. Great. 

But if I hit the link from home, the path is wrong (it's needs to be 'file:///Users/home/Dropbox/untitled.txt'). 

I know that I can replace the root directory with a tilde. So this means I could reformat the links that I use so that they use which ever machine I'm working on - this is what I want to achieve. But when I use the form 'file:///~/home/Dropbox/untitled.txt' from Evernote, the link doesn't work. :mellow:

Beyond changing my root directory names to match, can anyone suggest a way to achieve a single link format that works on both macs pls?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Jasp said:

can anyone suggest a way to achieve a single link format that works on both macs pls?

In my case, I also have an iPad, Iphone, and also access Evernote on the web platform

I think I need to use links to Dropbox files on the internet

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In my case, I also have an iPad, Iphone, and also access Evernote on the web platform

I think I need to use links to Dropbox files on the internet

True, but nothing stops you from accessing the file from your desktop disk.  The OP has a different root on home and work, which he recognizes as the issue, I think.

May be different on the Mac, but I can access the DropBox file locally from within EN on two devices by using the same folder name on both devices, sample file link below.  I cannot use this link in EN for IOS, so I use the DB app in those instances.  I could use the DB link within the note and then IOS would work, but I prefer to open the file locally for updating, and just view on IOS

file:///C:/Users/username/Dropbox/Models/filename.xlsx

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Jasp said:

Beyond changing my root directory names to match, can anyone suggest a way to achieve a single link format that works on both macs pls?

58b3b57ae510d_ScreenShot2017-02-26at9_12_24PM.png.085e7926a7e79d4932483e47648a7563.png

How about relocating the dropbox folder to outside the user home folder structure
This is a setting in Dropbox Preferences

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Jasp said:

I use two macs (work & home) that are synced by Dropbox. I also use Evernote/Notes as a kind landing strip for projects and like to add 'file://' to the path to create links, e.g,. '/Users/work/Dropbox/untitled.txt' becomes 'file:///Users/work/Dropbox/untitled.txt'. This takes me from Evernote/Notes to the Dropbox file/folder. Great. 

But if I hit the link from home, the path is wrong (it's needs to be 'file:///Users/home/Dropbox/untitled.txt'). 

I have solved this issue by placing the DropBox root OUTSIDE of the Mac user home directory on ALL of my Macs:
/Users/Shared/Dropbox

Thanks very much everyone -  I hadn't thought of that one.

I guess that keeping Dropbox out of my User folder might be problematic on shared machines or on managed machines because it would give others access to whatever's in your Dropbox folder - tho' that doesn't apply to me and I think that's the solution I'll run with.

I sometimes check things on Dropbox via iOS but it's really unusual and I don't mind foregoing that facility.

Cheers, :)

I am looking to attach (not import) Dropbox files as well - But when I try and share from DB, I always end up with a link to the WEB version of dropbox and not the local version. Does anyone know how to link to the local file in DB? It's not critical, but this would save a step!

Thanks,

Robe

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Robejazz said:

Does anyone know how to link to the local file in DB?

This becomes a Finder function
I open the dropbox folder, find the file, and copy the pathname
In Evernote, I use the Link > Add function and paste with a prefix of file://

Archived