Set creation date from OCR

pepperbc

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have been searching the web/these forums for the last few hours and found nothing.

I am attempting to bulk scan a large number of documents, mostly in the same form. They all have the date at the top. Is there a way through OCR to set the creation date of the note to this date?

Thanks for any help

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, pepperbc said:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have been searching the web/these forums for the last few hours and found nothing.

I am attempting to bulk scan a large number of documents, mostly in the same form. They all have the date at the top. Is there a way through OCR to set the creation date of the note to this date?

Sorry, that's not a feature in Evernote

For the most part, creation date is set to the date of note creation

Some user's modify the creation date to match the subject date.  My system is to put subject date in the Note Title

• Level 5*

...what they said.  I scan to a folder on my hard drive and as a part of the scanning process,  manually apply the date of issue / receipt in the title using a text-expander so that is a one-key action.  The date is in the format yyyymmdd and comes first in my title so documents will sort in date order if I sort by title.  That's feasible for smallish groups of documents,  but probably not for a large batch.  You may be able to search the documents within Evernote once OCR'd (if the dates are clear enough) and maybe apply year or month tags to group the documents somewhat.  Otherwise it's strictly manual...  :(

I'm wondering if I can use some other OCR software to scan the documents, and call a script to import into evernote and set the date. I'll look around and report back if I find anything. It looks like there is Applescript support to do the import and set date stuff if I can find another application to do the extraction of the date.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, pepperbc said:

I can find another application to do the extraction of the date.

I think extraction of the date might be the problem.  There's another discussion where the user wants the date and author extracted from NY Times clippings

Are you able to define a set of rules to be used in extracting the date?

I can easily write a script (Mac) to set the creation date

Archived