native linux client

aventador972

Idea

Like many of you on this thread, I'm also a huge fan of Evernote and a Linux user. It kills me that Evernote spends so much time on many (useful and cool) features, but seems totally uninterested in developing a native Linux client. It's frustrating as hell

• Like 1

Far as "not enough Linux users". Linux users are usually people who are tech savvy and NEED to keep notes. I'm an I.T. professional and NEED notes. But being an I.T. professional I understand the benefits of using Linux as my primary workstation.

Sure there are 100 million Windows users for every single Linux user. But how many out of that one million have needs for a paid subscription to Evernote?  Linux users: professional I.T. people who are more computer scientists. As well students taking Computer Science. So... the majority of Linux users could use a paid subscription to Evernote. I'd love to incorporate Evernote into my I.T. process and share documented procedures with Sals and Customer Service people. But at work I use Linux as my primary desktop, running a VM for Windows administration.

So my money is better spent on other solutions. I've slowly been phasing Evernote out of my needs, and working with other solutions. Mainly native Linux apps that can export to OneNote. :-)

BTW - this is one of the biggest threads in these forums: 15 pages and counting.  Also, all evernote would need to do is: 

- make subdomain linuxproject.evernote.com

- sign up developers to work for FREE (that's what people who love linux do, make cool stuff)

- start a project on GitHub

- fork current stable to download at linuxproject.evernote.com in .debs, .rpm, and current source

- watch I.T. professionals, C.S. professors and C.S. students give them credit cards to bill monthly.

This is not difficult to do and make money. Maybe there is more here, like open source people scrutinizing security????

• Like 2

Oh well - its finally goodbye Evernote.

I was an Evernote evangelist - though never a premium member as I had to depend on somebody else's Linux client (thank you Nixnote) hence no support from EV. When they declared NeverLinux I stopped recommending a product that would tie our clients to one declining OS. I also made sure it didn't become mission critical in my company. But it was still useful. Until now.

Making two user unless you pay for no supported client makes it useless to us. EV clearly are now interested in only the premium Windows market so our departure won't be missed. So its SimpleNote for us. Not as good but probably good enough. At least it has a supported Linux client and third party clients too.

I just wonder if our dismay and disappointment is matched by our Windows colleagues since in our search for a replacement we couldn't help notice how even anti-Microsoft folks had to admit OneNote was pretty good. If its true then I fear EV will have fallen from an industry leader to an also ran trying to squeeze the last tranche of revenue from a legacy product.

• Like 1

Evernote premiun user. There are plenty of cross-platform languages, there is no excuse at all, there is no Linux Evernote.

If evernote values her customers, they should create a client that works on every OS, including Linux

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Amtriorix said:

Evernote premiun user. There are plenty of cross-platform languages, there is no excuse at all, there is no Linux Evernote.

If evernote values her customers, they should create a client that works on every OS, including Linux

Is it your opinion that there's enough paying customers to cover the cost of developing this product?

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Amtriorix said:

Maybe with Java? (LOL...)

My two cents:

I don't use Windows. I use OSX and Linux. Now I am using Linux more than OSX. I have been using Evernote for maybe one year and a half or so, I don't remember exactly, and I have become a plus member just a few days ago. Having worked mostly with the OSX native version of Evernote, I really miss a native version for Linux. I have to rely either on the web based app, or on the Windows native version run on Wine. Either way is not comparable to having a Linux client. Being a software developer myself I am aware of the difficulties of maintaining several forks of the same software for a number of different platforms, but Evernote is big enough to do that. In any case, talking as a customer, I'd be happier if I could run a native Linux version of Evernote as I do with the OSX one.

Bests,

• Like 2

Maybe instead of cutting features to current users, demanding a paid membership; they should just add better features to entice people to want to buy it? Then people would buy a paid subscription and not look to phase the product out.

Even if someone from Evernote would acknowledge one of the largest threads on their forums????  However, they are crazy if they think cutting features by limiting devices is not going to do anything but shun negotiation savvy (who don't give money away) consumers away from their company.

I do thank Evernote for letting me use two machines to get all docs off while I deploy something cross-platform. However demanding my credit card by decreasing features was the nail in the coffin of Evernote for me. Newer enhanced features and probably would have been interested. But not demanding payment by restricting. This company seems a little backwards to me.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, QuackGoesThePenguin said:

Maybe instead of cutting features to current users, demanding a paid membership; they should just add better features to entice people to want to buy it? Then people would buy a paid subscription and not look to phase the product out.

Even if someone from Evernote would acknowledge one of the largest threads on their forums????  However, they are crazy if they think cutting features by limiting devices is not going to do anything but shun negotiation savvy (who don't give money away) consumers away from their company.

I do thank Evernote for letting me use two machines to get all docs off while I deploy something cross-platform. However demanding my credit card by decreasing features was the nail in the coffin of Evernote for me. Newer enhanced features and probably would have been interested. But not demanding payment by restricting. This company seems a little backwards to me.

hi. there is an evernote employee in that thread acknowledging that it's being read. a new feature (pin lock) was added to free accounts a few days before the restrictions and price increases. a few days before that, salesforce features were added for premium and business folks. new stuff gets added all of the time. it isn't always what we want for our particular workflows, and (especially the last couple months) it isn't always communicated well, but all of this is happening.

linux support from evernote (as opposed to a third-party integration), for example, seems unlikely to ever happen. i'd recommend considering upgrading, though, if it is useful for you. 

• Like 1

Just pushout a VM with windows version stripped down or figure out a container of some sorts for android.

How long will it take? People have been capable of running Evernote as an Android app on Linux with ARC. It isn't reliable as it's a hack.

Is it that hard? Why is the community wrong, as your actions say? How much longer will it take you to get that people want control over their computation, and it is soon that everyone will be using open source?

• Level 5*
On 15/08/2016 at 3:48 PM, piotroxp said:

Just pushout a VM with windows version stripped down or figure out a container of some sorts for android.

How long will it take? People have been capable of running Evernote as an Android app on Linux with ARC. It isn't reliable as it's a hack.

Is it that hard? Why is the community wrong, as your actions say? How much longer will it take you to get that people want control over their computation, and it is soon that everyone will be using open source?

Why is it so hard to believe that a busy company with a packed development plan for the next 12-24 months just doesn't have time to look at this?  It may be easy to work out a way to do something,  but however easy the task,  it still requires company resources to achieve it,  and they may be fully committed eslewhere for the forseeable future...

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Why is it so hard to believe that a busy company with a packed development plan for the next 12-24 months just doesn't have time to look at this?  It may be easy to work out a way to do something,  but however easy the task,  it still requires company resources to achieve it,  and they may be fully committed eslewhere for the forseeable future...

Yeah, just ask Google (Google Drive for Linux, promised 6+ years ago and still to deliver)...

If Evernote does not want to support Linux, then that's all there is to it.  Darwinism will work its way.

As-is, for Linux I find little difference between Evernote (web) and Microsoft OneNote (web).  I did use Evernote for a while but now am using OneNote more and more.  When somebody comes up with a cross-platform product that supports Linux and has a web client then I will probably go with that.

I think ownCloud/Nextcloud is working on one and if it accomplishes a product that is polished enough then I am going to go there.

Too bad there isn't an easier way to get the Android version ported to Linux (in general).  That would change things.

• Like 1

I've been using NixNote2 the last couple of weeks and thought I would share my experience. The release I've been testing is 2.0 Beta 8. It's available in .deb, .rpm and source code.

It's a good client, all the basics are there and working. I have never had any crashes or sync problems with it. One nice feature it has over Evernote is that you can view and edit the Note source directly in the client.

There are some drawbacks though.

• In Beta 8 the picture thumbnails aren't working, but according to the author that should be fixed in Beta 9.
    • Side note, it seems then like the thumbnails are not stored on the server, since NixNote generates those, I'm guessing then that Evernote client does the same. So I guess there is a chance of getting different thumbnails in the two clients.
  • The UI isn't as polished, although that isn't a huge deal for me.
  • Web clippings: this is the biggest issue I have. Viewing and editing notes I've created my self in either NixNote or Evernote is not a problem and works perfectly. But NixNote have issues with some web clippings, especially from webpages that are complex. I have a bunch of notes that are completely unreadable in NixNote, but works fine in Evernote. NixNote wont destroy anything, so I'm not worried about it. But this right now is probably the biggest issue for me, since I have about 1000 web clippings in Evernote.

It is possible to clean up the html in webclippings to get them working in NixNote, I did that as a test for a couple notes, but I have way too many to make that a real option for me.

So for me, I can't completely switch over to NixNote because of that last issue. But for people without a huge amount of web clippings, or perhaps just simple once, I can definitely recommend NixNote.

• Like 4

The "fanboyism" is strong with these ones...

Just two cents more from my pocket to say that I'll be finally canceling my Evernote plus account due the lack of a native Linux client and the pitiful usability of the web client.

I got along well with Evernote while I was using OSX most of the time, but since I moved to Linux it's been a pain in the arse.

If someone is interested, I'll be using "remember the milk" for my GTD things instead. Yet they haven't a native Linux client neither, only provide a packed version of their website, but its web interface is way better than Evernote's one.

And I know they don't have the same features, but they have what I need even in the free version.

Farewell!

• Like 1

Something Evernote may wish to look at is the poll on opensource.com that has Evernote with the largest percentage of votes (37%).  This Linux and Open Source orientated site should give a fair snapshot and you can see the results of the poll in What's your go-to note-taking app?

Now for those using Linux that are ready to bail, you may want to look at the opensource.com article 4 desktop note-taking applications for getting stuff done and 4 open source alternatives to Evernote and see if any of these will better suit you.

• Like 3

Too late lad. I've already cut'n'run. Evernote may yet have to learn its a jolly lot easier to lose customers than win them back.

If they haven't taken note of the previous 17 pages I don't see a late change of heart. Their business plan is clear. Your choice if you want to be part of it and how much you commit so you will always will have a choice.

Best Wishes and thanks for the fish.

As a premium user for some years, I am very disappointed with this decision of not having a Evernote client for Linux. With the arrival of alternatives like tagspaces or paperworks, I am seriously consider in making the transition to a new solution. 

• Like 1
On 9/22/2013 at 9:08 PM, BurgersNFries said:

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

I I don't think it's entirely that simple. The open source community is just that - a community. EverNote undoubtedly uses various open source technologies, frameworks, tools, scripts and other resources. The way this all works is that everyone may use these tools freely, but it comes with an implicit responsibility to contribute back to the community in any way you can.  When people feel that this gentlemen's understanding is being violated, we must self police as a community - politely but firmly. The people who use Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community, we feel that Evernote should act by way of a self imposed mandate to support the community that is the very foundation on which their software is built and the systems they use operate. It does make one feel a bit slighted...

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, MJHd said:

The people who use Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community, we feel that Evernote should act by way of a self imposed mandate to support the community that is the very foundation on which their software is built and the systems they use operate.

What a load of BS
Disregarding the "Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community"
Evernote is a business paying a staff for services.
Try presenting a business case for Evernote to commit money/resources to a Linux project

• Like 1

The business case for Evernote adding Linux support is fairly straightforward.  There are many millions of Linux users out there, including those of us who pay Evernote's new higher prices for the premium offering.  But we're not going to wait forever, and I suspect that many of us will jump ship as soon as we find a solid competitor offering Linux support.  And by that point, it may be too late for Evernote to stem the tide.  One of Evernote's key features is multi-platform portability between desktop and mobile operating sytstems, so this is a glaring omission and I hope they fix it.  Maybe if the web UI was better, it wouldn't be such a huge issue.  But that has been stagnant too.  They were promising a brand new web UI years ago when I joined, and it is still missing so many basic features that I still have to use the classic one.  It's sad to see Evernote squandering their early lead in a business niche that they played such a large role in defining!

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Flash G said:

The business case for Evernote adding Linux support is fairly straightforward.  There are many millions of Linux users out there, including those of us who pay Evernote's new higher prices for the premium offering. 

Would you have an estimate of the number of Linux users willing to pay for Evernote? It's ok to include existing users

I am an Evernote Pro user since early days of Evernote. I am using both Mac OS and Linux and it's a shame that Evernote is not providing a client for LINUX. I am sure there is a business case.

I'll migrate to 100% LINUX next year and that will be the moment in time, when I'll have to say goodbye to Evernote if nothing happens. A pity, the company's management seems to try to learn it the hard way, how to loose loyal and paying customers and loosing them for good.

21 minutes ago, PeetsB said:

I am an Evernote Pro user since early days of Evernote. I am using both Mac OS and Linux and it's a shame that Evernote is not providing a client for LINUX. I am sure there is a business case.

I'll migrate to 100% LINUX next year and that will be the moment in time, when I'll have to say goodbye to Evernote if nothing happens. A pity, the company's management seems to try to learn it the hard way, how to loose loyal and paying customers and loosing them for good.

What will you use as alternative on LINUX next year?

I have just managed to upgrade my installation of Evernote in Fedora. What I can get working, without any bugs (that I have found so far) is Evernote 6.4.2.3773 in Fedora 24 with KDE. I tried the latest version, and while it works, that has the unsorted Notebook problem.

Just install Wine as 32 bit, then install Evernote 6.4.2.3773, then run winetricks and install IE8 (not the updated version, just IE8). That combination works for me and it even solved the unsorted Notebook problem for me.

• Like 1

Open Letter to Evernote, sent to the Partnership/Alliances email account (there not being any evident support/feedback account):

I am a paid up Pro user and so am in a partnership with yourselves - I'm having to use this contact address as you don't seem to have any other contact form that doesn't send you down some automated response path.

That in itself is worrying enough, what brings me here is the lack of a Linux client - but before you ditch this email as not your issue please, take 10 more seconds to finish the mail, I promise to keep it brief...

You are an employee of Evernote, you are paid by customer subscriptions. I have fully read the only 'support' info on this issue (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42393-evernote-for-linux) and the result, as with 'Feedback EMail Address' is that there isn't one.

One of the recurring themes there is the lack of a business case for a Linux client. I am now fully Linux and as such, on conclusion of current billing period, will have no choice but to cancel my subscription (I am not always connected to the net so Web is not, and never will be, a solution). Existing customers leaving has to be the best (anti-)Business Case there is.

I would be extremely grateful if you could forward this to whichever internal Business Development email acct would be appropriate.

Regards, Steve Gillam.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Steve Gillam said:

Existing customers leaving has to be the best (anti-)Business Case there is.

I don't see this as being a business case for Evernote to spend the $ to implement and support a Linux client.

I think a proper argument would include Numbers.
How many customers are being lost?
How many new customers will this platform bring in.

I'm sure Evernote has considered these numbers in their decision

Numbers? You want numbers? You can't handle numbers.  Oh sorry, I was getting a little carried away.

I really want a linux client too. I don't know how many times I've been on linux and trying to use the web client only to give up, remembering the feature I want is only available on Windows client. The web client could work but it would need many features added.

TIA. 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, jgiordano said:

Looks like evernote's trying to do whatever it can to put itself out of business. 

Could you provide more details - from what I can see Evernote was never in the "Linux Business" or is this a different topic than "Evernote for Linux"

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Could you provide more details - from what I can see Evernote was never in the "Linux Business"

More of a general statement, but the new EULA allowing employees to read your notes. As far as your "linux Business" statement, Evernote was a tech company that tried to sell schoolbags, was it in the "school bag business"? I would think a linux client is more closely aligned with their "Core" business than school bags and desk grabage...

It was in the PC business when PC was synonymous with Windows. It no longer is. Many businesses now wish to have a choice of what OS they wish to choose. Many software suppliers make hardware independence a core part of their offering. That's the way the market is moving.

Good software design these days should be layered so implementing on a particular environment should be straightforward if required.

Those of us who have had a good look at the EV code begin to understand why a Linux client isn't an easy spin off. Fair enough, many suppliers have inherited legacy code that restricts its use. The issue with EV is not that they can offer a Linux client today but their lack of commitment to ever do a hardware/software independent client. Instead they claim  an improved web client will cover the holes.

Not if some if you usage has to contingent no net connect instances.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, jgiordano said:

More of a general statement, but the new EULA allowing employees to read your notes.

Got it, I wasn't aware there's a new EULA, but there's plenty of FUD being posted.  

This relates to the discussion here

1 minute ago, Brainsys said:

It was in the PC business when PC was synonymous with Windows. It no longer is. Many businesses now wish to have a choice of what OS they wish to choose. Many software suppliers make hardware independence a core part of their offering. That's the way the market is moving.

Good software design these days should be layered so implementing on a particular environment should be straightforward if required.

Those of us who have had a good look at the EV code begin to understand why a Linux client isn't an easy spin off. Fair enough, many suppliers have inherited legacy code that restricts its use. The issue with EV is not that they can offer a Linux client today but their lack of commitment to ever do a hardware/software independent client. Instead they claim  an improved web client will cover the holes.

Not if some if you usage has to contingent no net connect instances.

Successful businesses evolve, Microsoft is a huge Linux contributor now, they have sql server for linux. They are a successful business. Dropbox has clients for Windows, Mac and linux, they continue to grow. Evernote from a valuation perspective is a shadow of what it was at its height. Their web client has always been sub-par to the point of unusable. 

I  updated EULA is the nail in the coffin IMO. 

All business models evolve and I have used EN for a long time.  I think EN is seeing its final days of being my shining star.  In our house we have 5 different computers located in multiple rooms.  At one time they were all MS boxes but now only one remains on MS.  The remaining one is MS only because I must use proprietary software for my business.  I'll be retiring in a couple years and that box will switch to Linux.

Why do I think the business model of EN is looking at future issues that are getting closer by the day.  Well there is Google and the fact that more and more people are working with cloud computing.  Also now that MS is putting their toe in nix commands, how long will it be until MS and Nix play well together.  MS sees a lot of people leaving and they don't like it.  So all the potential Nix customers that EN alienated for all the years will not be customers during the changing environment.  People are creatures of habit and the forgotten Nix people will be accustomed to another habit and it won't be EN.

I believe that as computing evolves, as computing becomes more and more a needed form to live in the world, in the legal environment it will be viewed as a utility.  Now when something becomes a utility, those companies that have written an EULA that is so one sided that both parties are not equal will be viewed as onerous by the courts.  Time will tell but I've read a lot of contracts in my life and so many have holes so big a 747 could fly through them.  Today courts do not take a kind view of one sided contracts and I think in the future software companies will have to re-write their EULA that provides a more equitable arrangement to both parties.

So that is my two cents and from looking at the long history on this forum, you are looking at years of unsatisfied people.  MY wonderment is -- why did you have such a stiff neck about the matter?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, urdrwho5@gmail.com said:

So that is my two cents and from looking at the long history on this forum, you are looking at years of unsatisfied people.  MY wonderment is -- why did you have such a stiff neck about the matter?

My guess is

• There are not a large number of potential users, especially compared to other platforms
  • Of this number, there's an even smaller number of users willing to pay

Funny thing is that this round-and-round is also self-perpetuating.

Evernote does not see enough people using Linux being interested
in using Evernote, let alone pay for their product so they don't want
to spend the resources to develop for that platform.

/\
||
\/

Linux users doesn't see Evernote being friendly to their platform and
so the vast majority will simply stay away and find other solutions (life's
too short) and who is going to pay for something that doesn't work on
their systems?

We can argue back-and-forth until our faces are blue.  Linux isn't going to kill Evernote, and Evernote isn't going to kill Linux.  What is more indicative is how they manage "other platforms" reflects how they will handle changes in the overall environment.  Are they a leader or a follower?

Dell has taken a gamble of sorts on Linux on the desktop and it seems to be doing pretty well for them. While Microsoft Windows isn't going to go away anytime soon, it is loosing marketshare and the rising starts are Linux based (Android, ChromeOS, Ubuntu Linux).

Is the way Evernote is handling supporting Linux, a growing platform in a declining market, proactive or are they reactive and waiting until the wheel's already turned?

• Like 1

I've successfully installed evernote 5.8 and skitch 2.3.2 on my Arch Linux .
The run pretty well, but the only problem that i consider is i can't directly annotate any image from my note with skitch. i have to drag it from my notes to skitch. any advice how to make skitch automatically work by click annotate image from notes?

YES, Linux is my daily driver and ever since I figured out how to do PCI passthrough it is also my only driver (save for work I have a windows tablet still) I digress, the web client is nice but I would love a full featured Linux client, especially if it supported the drawing feature, I do have a touch screen on my laptop and it would be amazing to be able to draw right there like I can in Windows.

• Like 1

I use Linux as my daily driver and would love to see a native Linux client. Nixnote2 is an acceptable alternative once you've changed the default settings, but at the very least Evernote should be supporting that developer if it doesn't intend on developing a native Linux client.

• Like 1

... and if they can't support him (because the Evernote does not believe it would make an economic sense - as is stated in so many places elsewhere in this forum), at least please remove those damned API limitations, so we can really use the Nixnote. Do it at least for paying customers! That would be a huge boost to NixNote development and wouldn't cost you anything at all. I suspect that would at least half the traffic that i generate when I am forced to use the webclient. 

• Level 5*

It will be interesting to see how many Windows 7 users move over to Linux when Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 in Jan 2020. At that point, the choice for Win 7 users will be stick with Win 7 knowing that hacks will be likely, submit to Microsoft's telemetry and control of the OS (MS chooses the updates and pushes them through whenever they want), pay the premium to enter Apple's walled garden, or move to Linux.

If enough users move over to Linux, then we might see much more software development for Linux, which in turn would draw more users in a virtuous cycle.

The only thing holding me back from moving to Linux at this point is that a couple of programs I use aren't available on Linux, and one of those apps is Evernote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, tavor said:

It will be interesting to see how many Windows 7 users move over to Linux when Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 in Jan 2020

Sorry, but "it will be interesting to see how many Windows <x> users move over to Linux when Microsoft does <Y>" is a meme that hasn't achieved significant reality in the many years since I've been hearing it. There are segments where Linux is strong, but the average Windows user's desktop is not one of them.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, jefito said:

Sorry, but "it will be interesting to see how many Windows <x> users move over to Linux when Microsoft does <Y>" is a meme that hasn't achieved significant reality in the many years since I've been hearing it. There are segments where Linux is strong, but the average Windows user's desktop is not one of them.

That's been true thus far. But with Microsoft's overbearing approach to Windows 10 and various Linux distros becoming quite user friendly (especially Ubuntu and Mint), perhaps it will be different this time . . . I hope. 

• Level 5*

The sky is not falling on Windows any time soon...

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp, etc.

Sad reality: most users don't care about Microsoft telemetry and updates (updates have always been a pain point, so that barrier has already been crossed). You buy your machine at Best Buy or Amazon, or wherever, it has Windows on it, you get  back to work. Most users have no clue as to which of the myriad Linux versions they should use, or why.

Also, in my role as a software developer, we can't afford to chase much more than one OS for our product; converting our code base to some other OS (or more particularly, some other UI / API) would be very onerous indeed; we're just not going to go there -- the market just won't support it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks for that link. Pretty interesting. Seems Linux isn't picking up any (or hardly any) Win 7 users. Though I'd speculate that the users who are switching to Win 10 now aren't very representative of those who will stick with Win 7 until 2019./Jan 2020.

The Win 7 userbase that wants to avoid telemetry and MS forced updates isn't moving to Win 10 now. Some of them may opt to jump ship for Linux when support for Win 7 ends.

• Level 5*

BTW, I'm not wholly unsympathetic here, I've just seen this movie script before, and it doesn't seem to turn out like it's written down. We'll see about the Win 7 thing (for sure, some users will go elsewhere), but my guess is that for most casual users and for most workplaces, changing over to Win 10 is a lot lower bar to jump over than changing over to Linux (or even Mac). 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, jefito said:

BTW, I'm not wholly unsympathetic here, I've just seen this movie script before, and it doesn't seem to turn out like it's written down. We'll see about the Win 7 thing (for sure, some users will go elsewhere), but my guess is that for most casual users and for most workplaces, changing over to Win 10 is a lot lower bar to jump over than changing over to Linux (or even Mac). 

For casual users, definitely easier to submit to MS and let them have their way with you.

Linux distros have gotten more user friendly and some of the front ends will look familiar to Windows users, so the bar to entry into Linux has been lowered. But it would definitely help to have more apps available so that a further bar of running virtualization or Wine doesn't have to be cleared. Need more developers, but developers need userbase, and round and round.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, piotroxp said:

Where's my Linux client?

Start here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

7 minutes ago, piotroxp said:

I'd happily pay even 100% if you just made a ***** native linux client, bros

Gee, $70 is going to go a long way towards funding development staff to build your Linux client, bro.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Start here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

Gee, $70 is going to go a long way towards funding development staff to build your Linux client, bro.

Yes, too bad there's no way to accrue payments from multiple customers and add it to whatever capitalization is required for funding development. Oh well, there's only $70 in the dev budget for this. Not enough. Right, bro?

• Level 5*

You're assuming there's a budget?  Evernote pretty much ruled out supporting another OS some time ago.  If they ever do change their mind,  we're unlikely to find out about it until there's a launch...

Well, they ***** have those 70 bucks from me if they wish to listen to their customer. 

Let's start a kickstarter for Evernote so that they build a Linux client in QT. Why not. That would make Evernote a truly democratically run company.

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You're assuming there's a budget?  Evernote pretty much ruled out supporting another OS some time ago.  If they ever do change their mind,  we're unlikely to find out about it until there's a launch...

It's great to have an employee of Evernote here to keep us informed of the inside scoop on product planning and development! 

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, crablouis said:

It's great to have an employee of Evernote here to keep us informed of the inside scoop on product planning and development! 

Don't look at me for that - I'm just a user.  And we're assuming that this is a democracy?  Evernote make the products and we're free to decide whether or not to buy,  but that's as far as it goes...

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Don't look at me for that - I'm just a user.  And we're assuming that this is a democracy?  Evernote make the products and we're free to decide whether or not to buy,  but that's as far as it goes...

Oh, but, you speak with such authority.  This is a user forum, and this topic is for users who'd like to see a Linux version of the product. So, this is the appropriate place to voice those ideas. Insofar as we, even including people like you, are free here to voice our opinions as users of the product, it is indeed a democracy. If you find that threatening, perhaps you should look for other forum topics more to your liking. There must be a hints topic, or some place you can favor us with your ingenious Evernote user hints. I encourage you to go there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, piotroxp said:

Let's start a kickstarter for Evernote so that they build a Linux client in QT. Why not. That would make Evernote a truly democratically run company.

That's cute, but I doubt that Evernote actually wants to be a democratically run company. Not that democracy is showing all that well at the moment, mind. But the Kickstarter thing could perhaps fund a small development staff to build that client separate from Evernote, which would be the Linux way, right? Or at least support Nevernote, I suppose.

3 hours ago, piotroxp said:

Even if those 70 bucks amounted to an hour of dev time, it would be money well spen

?? If you send me the $70, I'll be happy to start on the design...

• Like 1

As a software developer, I completely understand the problems involved with trying to build--let alone maintain--a Linux client.  For anything.  Yep, it costs money, not enough user base, blah blah blah.  Heard it before, been there done that, can't disagree.

So instead of creating a full-on Linux client, why not BEEF UP THE WEB VERSION.  I've been using it for a while, after abandoning things like NixNote and other similar attempts.  I'm mostly happy with it... until I lose Internet for a second or two.  

I'll pay to get premium access if the damned thing works offline.  Use offline storage.  Only support modern browsers.  All that stuff.  Just make it work so I can type up some stuff when I lose Internet, and let it sync-up when I regain access. 

I've been using the web client for a long time.  I'm super happy with it.  I just now very nearly went and paid the subscription fee, even though I'm broke.  But then.. why?  Do I get the offline storage in my browser?  I don't want to pay for something that I have to boot into Windows or fire up a Windows VM to use.

TLDR: make the web app suck less if the 'net connection goes away.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Crazed(Sanity) said:

why not BEEF UP THE WEB VERSION

My understand is a new version is in the works, and the "common editor" project should help with feature parity

However, the reality is the web platform can never be as robust as the Win/Mac platforms

I'm not clear on your reference to offline access; it seems inconsitent with the web platform.  Can you explain how this would work?

>>I'll pay to get premium access if ...

If Evernote had a $ for every user who posted this

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not clear on your reference to offline access; it seems inconsitent with the web platform.  Can you explain how this would work?

Gmail figured out how to do offline access.  HTML5, or maybe it's a browser feature (or both) has a system for storing data.  Create a system where changes are stored up until the web application comes back online.  This is opposed to the current behavior: if there's a hiccup when a save operation occurs (right after any change at all), the screen goes blank with an error saying it couldn't save.

• Level 5*

I think one of the points of the EN web app is that your data is not on your machine with the attendant data base and indexing processes.  Might be better off creating a linux client before adding everything to the web version(s).  

I've heard multiple references to the "EN web app", and it seems as though the "EN" part is not in reference to language.  Care to enlighten?

I'm not talking about a web application that persists storage by any means.  This is more a buffer: put things into storage for the current note so changes can be queued up to be sent when there's Internet connectivity again.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Crazed(Sanity) said:

I've heard multiple references to the "EN web app", and it seems as though the "EN" part is not in reference to language.  Care to enlighten?

I'm not talking about a web application that persists storage by any means.  This is more a buffer: put things into storage for the current note so changes can be queued up to be sent when there's Internet connectivity again.

EN = Evernote.  Okay, I thought persistence was implied by "Gmail figured out how to do offline access."  

IAC, I suppose the place to make that suggestion would be in the Evernote Features request forum or the Evernote Web Feedback forum.  That way folks could up vote if they want.  Some sort of save the note in process function whilst on the web, assuming you are on your own device.

• Like 1

I am a premium user and use Evernote in my daily life. Since I am currently switching from windows to Linux, I really really hope that the company will at last release a native Linux client.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Clintko said:

Since I am currently switching from windows to Linux, I really really hope that the company will at last release a native Linux client.

From day 1, Evernote has stated they will not implement a native Linux client.  
I've seen no changes to this, but never say never

There are some third party products, and Evernote's web platform

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Clintko said:

Due to some reasons, I have to switch to Linux as my main working environment. I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

Evernote rarely if ever announce projects in advance,  and have been cutting back to core activities in recent months.  It seems unlikely they're likely to have any major changes of heart.  There are limited options for Linux users - see previous posts and (sorry) the Web client...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Clintko said:

Due to some reasons, I have to switch to Linux as my main working environment. I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

Keep watching the Evernote Blog. You never know...

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Clintko said:

I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

Never say never, Evernote could surprise us all, but I wouldn’t count on Evernote releasing a Linux client

I’d be looking at alternatives

1. Evernote’s  web platform
  2. Clone applications that use the Evernote database
  3. Export your data out of Evernote