native linux client

aventador972

Idea

@QuackGoesThePenguin can I please ask you take your moderator issue to PM or a new thread?

You are disrupting an important discussion on persuading Evernote to commission a Linux Client. That is the important bit. Whether the moderator is a white knight or Evernote stooge doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters to me (and I suspect other contributors here) is that Evernote reconsiders its decision. And does it for its own benefit as well as ours. We are all frustrated but letting that frustration rip isn't going to help.

Peace please.

An off-topic comment asking to stay on topic? The irony.  Mods are not white-nights, they are people not gods.

Since Evernote makes a very nice plugin for FireFox (which I'm running on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS system right now), I'm a bit puzzled by all the vitriol in this thread. The plugin works cross-platform just fine. The web app seems a bit clunky, but I understand it has substantially improved, which implies that it will continue to improve in the future.

There is a native app for Android -- did Evernote do that one? The device on which I use Evernote the most is my Android phone, at least for looking up stuff. On my Windoze and Linux systems, I mostly use the FireFox plugin.

I already consider Evernote to be something that resides in the "cloud" and is accessed via a browser (mostly). It certainly appears that is the direction that the Evernote company is headed.

Any rate, Evernote (I'm a premium user) is something I use pretty much everywhere.

Except on my computer at work, because the company won't allow it. But for there, I have my smartphone.

Since Evernote makes a very nice plugin for FireFox (which I'm running on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS system right now), I'm a bit puzzled by all the vitriol in this thread. The plugin works cross-platform just fine. The web app seems a bit clunky, but I understand it has substantially improved, which implies that it will continue to improve in the future.

There is a native app for Android -- did Evernote do that one? The device on which I use Evernote the most is my Android phone, at least for looking up stuff. On my Windoze and Linux systems, I mostly use the FireFox plugin.

I already consider Evernote to be something that resides in the "cloud" and is accessed via a browser (mostly). It certainly appears that is the direction that the Evernote company is headed.

Understood -- but not everybody is online all the time. 

Just yesterday I wanted to add a note in a subway (no internet there, sorry). 

Being old school, I saved my note as a text file, too -- otherwise I would have just lost it, and evernote didn't even warn me. 

I would consider this a bug (or annoying feature :) ). 

Having a decent native client would solve this (yes, I'm running linux). 

A web-app that works offline would help as well -- is this being planned perhaps? 

Soy un usuario latinoamericano, y creo que es de gran importancia su version para linux ya que la mayoria de los estudiantes utiliza Evernote y no creo que tengan el dinero suficiente para comprar un sistema operativo como windows o peor aun, un Mac, en mi pais el OS de Microsoft vale alrededor de $50.000 pesos y un iOS ni hablar. por eso creo que al desarrollar una version para linux Evernote estaria ayudando a la formación del futuro de Latino america.

I pay for Evernote Premium and would also love a native Linux client!  I use the web client, and I'm glad it exists, but it's much less powerful and slower than the Windows and Mac clients.  And the new beta webapp is even less powerful, though I hope that will improve.

• Like 1

Upvote for a native GNU/Linux client!

I am puzzled at the controversy. 

There is an Android client, and as you may know Android is a fork of the Linux kernel.  But what would be better is if the Evernote Corporation would leverage the Open Source community to enhance and extend their work.

Individuals at my company use Evernote Premium, like I do - but we can't consider Evernote Business until it can support a truely hetrogenious environment that we (and many more companies) now live in.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I also had a lot of issues with 5.8.1 on Linux. I reverted back to 5.6.4 which works very well. As for the comment that "Evernote always USED TO BE broken under Wine", that is not my experience. I've been using evernote for 2 years on Linux under Wine. And been quite happy with it. I does need some customization to work well (especially for Fonts) but if you do those. It's quite good. I have it running 24/7 with out issues.

The only issue with 5.8.1 was the sorting bug, in the notebook section and that I can't see the Title of a note (it's still there and can be edited). And as I understand it, these issues have happened for Windows native users also... so it's not a Wine issue.

I'm on Fedora 20, with KDE.

As for downloading old version, I always save old version of software I use... just in case :) But a quick google, and you should be able to find it, for example at CNet.

Hello,
As I'm a premium user (who uses Evernote every day for professional purposes) I want an official Linux client.

I won't use Apple as, in general, they aren't secure enough (latest iCloud breach)

I won't use Windows as it's not useable for the stuff I do.

I've a secured linux, that I've been assembling and configuring for quite some time and I'm happy with it. And since I've decided to pay for evernote, it would be nice to have a Qt-enabled client, that actually works (as nixnote2 is not the best, open source implementation).

Thank you for your time,
Kind Regards, Pete

• Like 2

probably not allowed to do this, but there is an open source project on github which looks very similar to evernote for storing all your *cough* paperwork *cough* and it could use some open source community support to improve.

• Like 1

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

This has been hashed, rehashed & re-rehashed.  It's a business decision & it's odd that that is perceived as "giving the full finger".  It's not b/c EN hates linux and/or linux users.  Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like. 

Calling a clearly wrong decision a "business decision" is not the way to go for any company, just as Google did with GDrive for Linux. Instead of using Google's Drive on all of my computers, I'm using MegaSync now - if a company intentionally doesn't give an f about a userbase, the userbase will disappear. It's from the Linux and open-source community that several innovations stem, several of them are powering not only Evernote, but also Google, Rackspace, Dropbox, Amazon... I could go on, but you see what I mean. As I'm also a premium user, I would expect Evernote to make a proper Linux client. If not, then I'll just cancel my subscription and move on to whichever vendor gives me what I want at the end of the day. It's plain and simple, and I knew they didn't have a Linux client when I was deciding on a note-taking service - but it was the best service available. As new services come by, my needs may be no longer met by Evernote.

Mega has a proper linux client, and their business model is exactly the same as Evernote's. AMD, Copy, Dropbox, a multitude of other private companies have proper linux clients/linux driver support because we are an increasingly significant part of the market. It's not wise to let go of people who actually know stuff about technology (everyone using Linux knows a little more about computing than your average Joe - it's a bloody fact, and not a truism).

The more the people use the command line, the more they will be eager to pay for good services. It's greed that is stopping you from embracing Linux, not sound business advice.

Oh, and a protip - make a feature that will allow your users to simultaneosuly work on a note via your PC and your smartphone (ie. my Nexus 5 as a handwriting-input-device). Call it multi-device input. $$$ Profit.

Edited by piotroxp

Bang on, BurgerNfries!

THE business decision here is not to do a Linux build - think of the distro and Desktop Manager pain in order to do it.  Is it worth also mentioning that ChromeOS has a client for Evernote?  Yes that's inflammatory to some but I kind of like the idea of a very skinny linux distro that is shelled as chrome to effectively present the functions of Evernote in the same way as the said browser.

Not only that - I am a die-hard Linux user for heavy workstation and and server work, but let's face it - who needs the data locally?  How often since 2010 has anyone in this post been without an internet connection for very long?  If you're using linux on the go (laptop) there may be an exception, but event there I would find it hard to support that ALONE as a valid business justification for the (huge amount of) work involved.

Lastly, given the multitude of sharing options in evernote now, why not just distribute your notes in the same way as you would on a tab or phone?

Bang on, BurgerNfries!

THE business decision here is not to do a Linux build - think of the distro and Desktop Manager pain in order to do it.  Is it worth also mentioning that ChromeOS has a client for Evernote?  Yes that's inflammatory to some but I kind of like the idea of a very skinny linux distro that is shelled as chrome to effectively present the functions of Evernote in the same way as the said browser.

Not only that - I am a die-hard Linux user for heavy workstation and and server work, but let's face it - who needs the data locally?  How often since 2010 has anyone in this post been without an internet connection for very long?  If you're using linux on the go (laptop) there may be an exception, but event there I would find it hard to support that ALONE as a valid business justification for the (huge amount of) work involved.

Lastly, given the multitude of sharing options in evernote now, why not just distribute your notes in the same way as you would on a tab or phone?

What pain are you talking about, particularly? What distro, what DM? If ChromeOS is Linux, Android is also a Linux, I see no viable justification of just giving the finger to the Linux community by not supporting Linux! Don't you see it?

Plus, if there is already an Evernote clone (partly functional, but does it's job pretty well - nixnote2). What is stopping a software company to step in and make their own features work as they themselves have designed them to? It's better to help a little with an already running project and profit out of premium accounts, instead of just ignoring a lot of your users.

And honestly, arguments about choosing DM's, desktop environments and all those other "problems" are just a load of bull. If I want I can have XFCE, KDE, Gnome, Unity, basically any DE and DM I want on my setup! Choose your favourite library and just do it.

PS: https://www.insynchq.com/linux

Edited by piotroxp

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

This has been hashed, rehashed & re-rehashed.  It's a business decision & it's odd that that is perceived as "giving the full finger".  It's not b/c EN hates linux and/or linux users.  Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like.

Sure, its a business decision, and sure they can do whatever they want. But with enough squeky wheels they may find 1.) there is a big enough market out there and/or 2.) they are alienating a group of people and getting a bad corporate rep.

Bang on, BurgerNfries!

ChromeOS isn't a workstation Linux distribution for a sys admin. As far as who needs data locally? 

Anyone with a laptop (consultants, engineers, sales engineers) that travel, work in remote sites, secured areas, closed datacenters, subways and tunnels, people who fly.... Just because it's not your need, doesn't mean the need doesn't exist.

ChromeOS isn't a workstation Linux distribution for a sys admin. As far as who needs data locally? 

Anyone with a laptop (consultants, engineers, sales engineers) that travel, work in remote sites, secured areas, closed datacenters, subways and tunnels, people who fly.... Just because it's not your need, doesn't mean the need doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure no one is saying there is not a need. What is being said, is that Evernote has stated publicly they had no plans to make a linux client & there has been no evidence they have changed that opinion.

Not only that - I am a die-hard Linux user for heavy workstation and and server work, but let's face it - who needs the data locally? 

I'm pretty sure no one is saying there is not a need. What is being said, is that Evernote has stated publicly they had no plans to make a linux client & there has been no evidence they have changed that opinion.

Just in case you missed it even though I quoted it, he asked WHO NEEDS DATA LOCALLY? 

SO he is saying there isn't a need...

I didn't mention the business decision or anything else, if you can't take the time to read the post please don't comment.  

I've been running Evernote (Windows) on linux using wine with little trouble for a while now. However, in version 5.8.1, note titles disappeared!!

The problem was the same with wine or crossover. New and old installs.

Anyone else noticed this problem and has a work around?

Yes, I have the same issue with the latest version on wine.

As far as the web goes, performance is good but there are a number of issues with navigating notebooks, switching notebooks, moving notes etc.... 

I've been running Evernote (Windows) on linux using wine with little trouble for a while now. However, in version 5.8.1, note titles disappeared!!

The problem was the same with wine or crossover. New and old installs.

Anyone else noticed this problem and has a work around?

Yes, I have the same issue with the latest version on wine.

As far as the web goes, performance is good but there are a number of issues with navigating notebooks, switching notebooks, moving notes etc.... 

As a rule of thumb I tend to stay about one version of wine behind so that the kinks can be worked out.  I would suggest uninstall, then use play on linux to install.. that should give you the ability to choose which version of wine to use. If you have any issues just reply and I will look up what I'm using at home.  I currently use ubuntu 14.04.  Can't remember which version of wine EN is using.  But I am not having any issues.

I also just joined the forum so I could throw my two cents in. 

I do devops/sysadmin work on a monitoring system for a very large cloud storage company, and I was going to write this huge paragraph about how many of us would love to use Linux as a desktop OS, but instead I just want to say that although I'm tied to Windows/OSX by unfortunate standards like MS Office, I prefer to use a linux laptop for taking notes and writing, and sometimes without half-decent internet access. If Evernote would even just build offline sync into the Chrome app, they would have another customer here. This is why I use Dropbox instead of Google Drive or even my own company's solutions for personal cloud storage, for example. 

I realize that regardless of how easy it would be to make, it may not be profitable to support and update yet another product. I don't know what the numbers are. However, even if there was an unsupported perpetual Beta version that never got an official release (cough google cough) you would at least be making another $45/year from me. Until then I'll continue using inferior products that are compatible with all of the platforms I prefer to use. 

I also just joined the forum so I could throw my two cents in. 

I do devops/sysadmin work on a monitoring system for a very large cloud storage company, and I was going to write this huge paragraph about how many of us would love to use Linux as a desktop OS, but instead I just want to say that although I'm tied to Windows/OSX by unfortunate standards like MS Office, I prefer to use a linux laptop for taking notes and writing, and sometimes without half-decent internet access. If Evernote would even just build offline sync into the Chrome app, they would have another customer here. This is why I use Dropbox instead of Google Drive or even my own company's solutions for personal cloud storage, for example. 

I realize that regardless of how easy it would be to make, it may not be profitable to support and update yet another product. I don't know what the numbers are. However, even if there was an unsupported perpetual Beta version that never got an official release (cough google cough) you would at least be making another $45/year from me. Until then I'll continue using inferior products that are compatible with all of the platforms I prefer to use. 

It might be helpful for people to post a comment on this page looking to re-ignite some consideration around a native client. https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/05/evernote-tips-productive-2015/

As a business descion should there not be some threshold of profit or strategy in which not having an official Linux client is reviewed?  Like petition signatures or crowdfunding the dev work? 

The open souce community might be relativly small but there are a lot of innovators and early adopters.

Are there any plans to add note merging or HTML5 offline storage to the web app? 

• Level 5

@jjwells Private businesses can make business decisions any way they want to.

Of the three things you suggested, they've said next to nothing: Linux client, web app note merging, Web app HTML5 offline storage.

It would seem to me, though, that note merging is the easiest and most likely. But I'm just a customer of Evernote's (though an IT technical specialist of 30 years' standing).

• Like 1

I cannot agree less that Evernote respects its users.   Because Windows is dying, and so many people use/ are moving to Linux, what more comes across is that Evernote must have been paid off by Microsoft to not develop Evernote for Linux.

This isn't Evernote not doing something some people want them to.  This is Evernote shooting itself in the foot while making it impossible for its users to use this platform.

What most strongly gives me this impression is that I just tried to DOWNLOAD the install file on my Ubuntu machine, to try it on wine and playonlinux and eventually on crossover, but the download page loads a message that the download file is not even available to users of Linux.   That is just plain unecessary - unless Evernote is actually DESPERATE to prevent its users from moving to Linux, and the ONLY logical reason for such a sentiment is if Evernote has an arrangement with Microsoft. 

You know, I WILL move to Linux, there ARE Evernote type clients, might be as good, might not, but if they don't fully sync with Evernote, guess what.   

I've been a PREMIUM member, that is, PAYING, of Evernote, for years, and it will be bye bye Evernote!    

And I won't even be alone.

Don't even bother coming back with some snooty rejoinder that "We have no plans to make a client available for Linux at this time."   Really?   You think someone does not clearly understand that!    You're just LOADED with disrespect.   

Incidentally, I'm about to put the Evernote install file in my dropbox account in order to move it from my Windows machine to my LInux machine.  Once I have it in my dropbox account I can incidentally share it with anyone who needs it.   tiggernut24 at yahoo dot com .

And don't even bother getting snooty about it, Evernote!    I do NOT think so.  You don't respect us, I don't have a whole lot of respect for you.   

For the nameless one who posted about three posts before me, there is Nixnote and everpad, and springseed.   You have to go to their web sites - and it takes some googling to find nixnote/ nevernote's download page, and more work to find the 32 bit version.   Evernote in their snootiness mentioned another version somewhere above.  One or more of these purports to sync with evernote.    I don't know how well they work; I haven't yet tried them.

I have several things I use that don't have versions in Linux; especially my picture puzzle games, my typing practice software, and my genealogical program.   I got them all running in Wine/ Playonlinux, and crossover is supposed to be a better Windows emulator.   

But you know what, Evernote is hardly perfect.  It keeps momentarily hanging on me.    

Dora

Someone mentioned that they have been pleased with the Evernote app.   Well, guess what. I just tried it.  It is specifically for Android.    

Not only does Evernote have a deal with Microsoft not to make Evernote available on Linux, their developers live on another planet.   The one where people use them smartthings instead of a computer.   

Just to say I had a bad experience with running Evernote under Wine. It installed and ran fine. Then when it decided to upgrade it wouldn't because of a registry issue. But it nixed the working system and there is no easy way to clear the registry out. As I run many other Windows programs under Wine I don't want to re-install that.

Which underlines the product is unsupported and unsafe as a mission critical product for organisations running Linux. For that you need to look elsewhere, Evernote appear to wish to be the last man standing amongst major cloud vendors in not offering a Linux client. I don't think they have grasped the cloud, amongst other benefits, makes a for a device independent client world. Hence not only do they not gain Linux business but are going to lose Windows business. A double whammy.

Brainsys, take a look here. The registry issue isn't really about wine. It happens all the time on regular windows also: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64641-success-unable-to-reinstall-error-already-installed-by-another-user/

I've had it a couple of times. And I've always been able to solve it with the instructions available in the above referenced posts.

Great News!  For everyone that is running Ubuntu.  There is now an app that works with your Evernote account. 

From terminal type:

Sudo apt-get install reminders-app

Ensure that you go to System Settings - Online Accounts and add your Evernote account.

Open Reminders app and link to evernote.

It does not have all the features,  But at least we know that there is progress being made.

If anyone has any issues let me know.

It would be great to be able to use Evernote in Linux (being a Linux user for the past 12 years, I would love it, but I am not holding my breath).

Unfortunately the trend is not in favor for making Linux clients for a number of reasons

1. smaller market share (compared to Windows)
  2. requirement to port or adjust coding for the *nix environment (OS X is BSD-based which is similar, but different), this includes different desktop environments (KDE, Unity, Gnome/Xfce/Lxde, etc.)
  3. packaging for the different distributions (.rpm, .deb, etc.) and different distributions file layout

To make it worthwhile they need to either

1. Release the client as open source, so the different distributions can have their own package managers take the source code and compile it for the distribution
  2. Make it in a cross-platform manner so they only have to write it once

These days, #2 is where companies are going!  I haven't been able to try the Windows client before, but outside of Java the best cross-platform desktop (laptop) client available is a web interface.

This is currently the best write-once-run-anywhere solution.

And Ubuntu (at least, others are too) is pulling in web applications into the environment as first-class citizens and making the line between native/local apps and web apps harder to see.

Although I really wonder how much tweaking there really needs to be to convert an Android version to run

+1 for a Linux version.

I'm just about to switch OS from Windows to Ubuntu, and Evernote is the only App that I use that doesn't have a native Linux version :(

Here's another well known app that is not available for Linux (despite the company promising they would make one... 5 years ago!) and so you are forced to use 3rd party FOSS apps instead:  Google Drive

You may not use it, but a lot of people do and it is almost the same exact situation as Evernote.

Dang, but this has been one amazing topic.  Incredible.  Just a few observations:

1)  The internet seems to be populated almost exclusively by children who have learned from playing video games that programming is easy.  Well, not so much.  There is a BIG difference between writing a small program to balance your checkbook in BASIC and running a large programming PROJECT.  In particular, it is not just about slinging a few lines of code.  There are MANY more considerations that go into the "simple" decision to port a product to a new OS.  Consider that each time a release is made, there has to be (or should be) considerable testing to validate that the data is available on all platforms without corruption.  So while posting +1 might make some think that they have accomplished something ... that is hardly the case.

2) The world is NOT a "democracy"! What a very silly idea. Companies are in the business of making money.  They don't give a fig about "insulting" users.  I'm sure they don't intend to insult anyone, but that cannot be their focus.  They are in the particular business of producing a product which is stable and attracts users.  Linux has its place (particularly in the server area and on some smart phones and refrigerators  :D but it is really a vanishingly small market.  It is composed, as is well demonstrated by the "fan boy" nature of some of these posts, by die hard devotees -- not serious business people.  Linux is not, and likely never will be, a large presence.  Those who say it is easy to use, are those who don't mind building bridges out of Tinker Toys.  I don't know where some people get the time to fuss with the endless fiddling it takes to get a Linux system working and KEEP it working.

3) The problems that Evernote has trace back to the developers not keeping their eye ENOUGH on the ball ... IOW, making tweaks to the UI (an attempt to please users) rather than paying attention to getting the core functionality working well.  When copy and paste does not work the same way on all platforms, the company has no business focusing on anything else.  I get it, some new features are pretty cool.  I love the idea of automatic sorting of new notes into notebooks with tags (as in the Moleskine and Post-It features.)  But what is the problem solved by that?  Putting that kind of feature into a product which has serious instability in its core functions is just asking for trouble.  Now, on top of everything else, people complain about how color detection is done and that sticker recognition has bugs.  (Oh, and my new find ... the camera function leaves the flash on after taking the picture, thus draining the battery!)  OY!

4) I'm not sure how well whining about things works.  People are asking for a Linux app and the developers are saying that they have other fish to fry.  Who here really thinks that crabbing about it over and over and over and over ... will change anyone's mind?

5) Moderators? ... what can I say?  Some are really very rude, and have been since I first asked a question several years ago.  I'm not sure why Evernote management does not kick them to the curb.  Who thinks it is a good idea to treat those with questions or problems like they are dunces.  And the parsing of distinction between "moderator" and "employee" ... what is that about?  Either you "represent" the face of Evernote to the public or you do not.  If not, then don't pose as a "moderator".  If so, then have some manners.  OTOH, it pays to remind one's self that the Moderators do provide good information, from time to time, and if there were NO value AT ALL, we would not come here to avail ourselves of the possible advantages to asking a question here.

6) I'm not sure if this is the most AMAZING thread ever, but it has to come damn close.  Reading it was kind of like passing an accident on the freeway.  Really, what more can be said about the issue of porting to Linux?  It will happen or not.  All the whining in the world will not affect the outcome.  Nor will threatening to cancel your subscription.  One person said that EN just lost $150 for not porting to Linux.  Really?  How far do you think $150 will go toward paying the hundreds of thousands of dollars to add support for a new platform.  Just a bit unrealistic.  Simply SAYING that a Linux port would be profitable does not make it so.  A sharp stubby yellow Ticonderoga #2 on a yellow pad is what is needed to make that kind of decision ... and that is what has been done, I take it.  If it is THAT important to work on a Linux platform, then just use text files and a simple search engine to keep your notes.  If that does not have enough function, then find a way to live with and love Evernote on the web or under a Windows emulator.

7) And last point: Evernote is a powerful program provided FREE ... and for some added function ... for $45/year.  It is kind of bad manners to complain in such circumstances.  I have to admit, it drives me batty when some obvious craziness rears its head, but that is just some orneriness leaking out.   :huh:

Let the games continue.........

So sad there's no Evernote version for Linux. For a strong community of power users of computers, that's to left out an important userbase that not only knows about computers but also have a strong passion to contribute to make the software they use better and even better...

BTW, i'm going to steal CaptainTime and wuote it elsewhere xD

Choosing Linux as an operating system and complaining about software availability is like living on an Island and complaining about ferry costs.

To those who think that we shouldn't voice our oppinion or ask for a feature. If no one does that, how will Evernote or any other company producing products know what their customers want? Not saying anything, and staying silent is a sure fire way of not getting the features you want. I also want a Linux version, and I understand why there are software not available on Linux. It is more expensive to do cross platform development. And so far linux as a desktop OS (disregarding phones) it is still under 1%.

While its more producive to give constructive feedback than complaining, it's most definately not bad manners. As a software developer myself, I do want as much feedback as possible, so I can make as good software as possible for my users. And it doesn't matter if you pay for it or get it for free. Although, I think you as a user should have some more rights if you do pay for the software, since without that money, we developer would not have jobs.

So for those that want a Linux version, please continue making your voice heard. Those that doesn't care about Linux... why are you here wasting you time, I bet there are other features you want in Evernote, why not make that known to Evernote instead.

To those who think that we shouldn't voice our oppinion or ask for a feature. If no one does that, how will Evernote or any other company producing products know what their customers want? Not saying anything, and staying silent is a sure fire way of not getting the features you want. I also want a Linux version, and I understand why there are software not available on Linux. It is more expensive to do cross platform development. And so far linux as a desktop OS (disregarding phones) it is still under 1%.

While its more producive to give constructive feedback than complaining, it's most definately not bad manners. As a software developer myself, I do want as much feedback as possible, so I can make as good software as possible for my users. And it doesn't matter if you pay for it or get it for free. Although, I think you as a user should have some more rights if you do pay for the software, since without that money, we developer would not have jobs.

So for those that want a Linux version, please continue making your voice heard. Those that doesn't care about Linux... why are you here wasting you time, I bet there are other features you want in Evernote, why not make that known to Evernote instead.

I think you miss the point by a country mile.  This whole "we want Linux support" has gone WAY beyond simply "asking" for it.  You have your answer ... in fact, you got your answer over and over and over.  The answer is: "No!"  In what way is it not like the yelling and stomping of a 2 year old to keep on insisting that you WANT it?  Do you think that if you ask loud enough and long enough that the economics will suddenly make sense to the developer and you'll get it?  You simply don't seem to grasp what is going on.  This is not something that is your right and is being withheld from you by a mean parent.  The owner of the company sees no profit in spending his resources that way and so has decided not to do it.  It baffles me that some people don't seem to get that.

Hey, I'm on your side.  In fact, let's port it to OS2, so long as we are at it.  There must be four or five guys somewhere running OS2 on some ancient IBM hardware.  O.K.  Enough.  I'm off to grab my crayons and make some placards demanding "Evernote for OS2 -- NOW!"

• Like 1

I think you miss the point by a country mile.  This whole "we want Linux support" has gone WAY beyond simply "asking" for it.  You have your answer ... in fact, you got your answer over and over and over.  The answer is: "No!"  In what way is it not like the yelling and stomping of a 2 year old to keep on insisting that you WANT it?  Do you think that if you ask loud enough and long enough that the economics will suddenly make sense to the developer and you'll get it?  You simply don't seem to grasp what is going on.  This is not something that is your right and is being withheld from you by a mean parent.  The owner of the company sees no profit in spending his resources that way and so has decided not to do it.  It baffles me that some people don't seem to get that.

Hey, I'm on your side.  In fact, let's port it to OS2, so long as we are at it.  There must be four or five guys somewhere running OS2 on some ancient IBM hardware.  O.K.  Enough.  I'm off to grab my crayons and make some placards demanding "Evernote for OS2 -- NOW!"

A good business never closes the door on anything that can attract more revenue if it's within the scope of their strategy. Smart executive teams are constantly re-evaluating their markets. Companies reverse or change decisions all the time so relax their buddy, it's the internet if you don't like whining, leave. 

I'm glad to see that hundreds of people have expressed their desire for a Linux version just in this thread alone.  Let's hope someone from Evernote is listening.  I love Evernote, and I pay for it, but the web client is just not powerful enough.  So even I would switch to a competitor if they introduce a credible native Linux app before Evernote does.

I'm glad to see that hundreds of people have expressed their desire for a Linux version just in this thread alone.  Let's hope someone from Evernote is listening.  I love Evernote, and I pay for it, but the web client is just not powerful enough.  So even I would switch to a competitor if they introduce a credible native Linux app before Evernote does.

+1

Well said. I happily pay for Evernote Premium as it's an awesome product, but being forced to use the web client on my Linux machines prevents me from using many of the more advanced features.

I just installed Evernote on Mint 17.1 with Crossover.   This suggests it is probably possible in Wine and/or Playonlinux but not necessarily easy.    Several dependencies did install with it, though it didn't use the ties feature (where a recipe for that piece of software would have been used to install the dependencies).   

It works sort of well.  Everything displays, including the pdf files, though I did install Fox pdf reader in the bottle (Crossover term for a virtual drive devoted to that software as with Playonlinux).    The subject types in invisible ink, but appears in visible ink in the contents.  

We all make choices, and choices have consequences. You choose the set of consequences based on the choices you make OR you choose the consequences and that makes decides your choice.

Remember the day when you wanted to play Mario Bros., but your parents would only let you have a Sega Genesis?

Not everything in life should be free or available to everyone. I don't know where people came up with that idea. Sure it might be nice if you were a have-not and graduated to a have, but life isn't like that.

These are just general statements and not direct toward anyone in particular.

As for feeling slighted, I know how Linux users feel about not having access to certain software. That's how I came across this thread-looking for e-note for Linux.

I feel the same way about Disney's decision to trash the StarWars expanded universe. Choices-Consequences.

We all make choices, and choices have consequences. You choose the set of consequences based on the choices you make OR you choose the consequences and that makes decides your choice.

Remember the day when you wanted to play Mario Bros., but your parents would only let you have a Sega Genesis?

Not everything in life should be free or available to everyone. I don't know where people came up with that idea. Sure it might be nice if you were a have-not and graduated to a have, but life isn't like that.

As for feeling slighted, I know how Linux users feel about not having access to certain software. That's how I came across this thread-looking for e-note for Linux.

I feel the same way about Disney's decision to trash the StarWars expanded universe. Choices-Consequences.

So you're saying that if people want something they should just shut up beacuse life isn't fair? Great attitude!

Btw; cool nick....

+1 Linux version

+1 Redo the osx client to be more like the windows version

So you're saying that if people want something they should just shut up beacuse life isn't fair? Great attitude!

Btw; cool nick....

+1 Linux version

Obviously people don't understand supply and demand. While at the original time Evernote may have felt there wasn't demand, but it's our work to change that.

Anyone who thinks it's final should look at companies that don't adapt. I mean Microsoft is considering going open source and porting .net to Linux. There is demand for .net on Linux.

A quiet voice is no voice...

Soy usuario de Evernote desde hace años. Todavía sigo aprendiendo a usarlo en mi vida cotidiana y me encanta. Pero nunca pasé a la categoría Premium por una sola razón: Soy usuario de Ubuntu desde hace más años. Y sigo fiel a mi convicción de usar Linux por sobre todas las cosas. No creo ser el único que piensa de esta forma. Por eso quiero pedirles que por favor nos tengan en cuenta!

QUEREMOS NUESTRA APLICACIÓN NATIVA DE EVERNOTE PARA LINUX!!!!

Gracias...

Btw; cool nick....

+1 Linux version

Obviously people don't understand supply and demand. While at the original time Evernote may have felt there wasn't demand, but it's our work to change that.

Anyone who thinks it's final should look at companies that don't adapt. I mean Microsoft is considering going open source and porting .net to Linux. There is demand for .net on Linux.

A quiet voice is no voice...

I could not agree more. I know M.S. has yet to port Onenote to Linux, but Office is marketed to create a need for Windows. Even porting office to a Mac does that; lets a designer share proofs documents with customer service and bean counters on Wndows.

However, the most simialr product (marketing wise), Microsoft has is Skype. Yep... they continiue to devleop Skype for Linux:

ap-get install skype. What about another product that is close to Everneote in terms of revenue and user-base? Dropbox: apt-get install dropbox.

C'mon evernote: if Keepnote ever goes in the cloud and establishes a good app for OSX and Windows with a good wizard to transfer my Evernote notebooks, you guys will lose out. I pay for both Skype and DropBox, but only use free. If there were a Linux evernote client AND better tools for code snippets in Evernote I'd sign up for a paid account ASAP.

Give us something to pay a premium for and we'll signup for premium serives....

I'd love to see Evernote for Linux.

However, I don't feel entitled to demand that Evernote produce something they consider to be uneconomical, or don't think they have the resources to accomplish. That's up to the market. Evernote is a great product, even if the Linux access is limited to a browser, but if any of you folks would like to do one better, let me know. If there is ever something comparable for Linux that is cross-platform (so I can use it from my Android, my iMac, and my Windoze systems), I will sign up for that in a heartbeat (assuming there is some way to migrate my current database), and quit paying for Evernote. Until then, I'll just use Evernote.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Evernote for Linux.

However, I don't feel entitled to demand that Evernote produce something they consider to be uneconomical, or don't think they have the resources to accomplish. That's up to the market. Evernote is a great product, even if the Linux access is limited to a browser, but if any of you folks would like to do one better, let me know. If there is ever something comparable for Linux that is cross-platform (so I can use it from my Android, my iMac, and my Windoze systems), I will sign up for that in a heartbeat (assuming there is some way to migrate my current database), and quit paying for Evernote. Until then, I'll just use Evernote.

You don't feel entitled to demand software is made for the operating sytem in use, before paying any money?  Do you demand bags fit your vacuum? Or just buy anything people sell you?

As of yesterday I've stopped paying for Evernote Premium. I've been vocal about the Linux client since page 4(I think) of this topic. And I will continue not to pay until there is a proper Evernote for Linux. Actually planning a switch already.

After a year of Premium, and being forced to use it via a web-browser (with a Windows client sometimes available from my company's computer), I see no point in further investing my time. Plus, for real, developing  a QT app for Evernote shouldn't be a biggie at all (with NixNote already out there - LOL). Throw a 100k $ and I'll spend 6 months building it for you.

Plus, Quora is on it already: http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-Evernote-alternative-for-Linux

I'm much more eager to change Evernote to something else, than change my whole workflow and OS. Sorry Evernote, you're becoming irrelevant (for me at least).

• Like 1

You don't feel entitled to demand software is made for the operating sytem in use, before paying any money?  Do you demand bags fit your vacuum? Or just buy anything people sell you?

Try marching into Wal-Mart and demanding that they sell you a car. If you are lucky, you will only get laughed at.

But since you think that sort of thing is ok, maybe I should demand that you write an EverNote replacement that will run on Linux. See how well that works?

If somebody *does* write an EverNote replacement that is suitably cross-platform, I may well buy it -- and drop my premium subscription to EverNote, even though the cost only amounts to a flea-bite. But jumping up and down and pitching a fit because EverNote doesn't see fit to do it is unlikely to accomplish much -- except getting yourself laughed at.

• Like 1

As of yesterday I've stopped paying for Evernote Premium. I've been vocal about the Linux client since page 4(I think) of this topic. And I will continue not to pay until there is a proper Evernote for Linux. Actually planning a switch already.

After a year of Premium, and being forced to use it via a web-browser (with a Windows client sometimes available from my company's computer), I see no point in further investing my time. Plus, for real, developing  a QT app for Evernote shouldn't be a biggie at all (with NixNote already out there - LOL). Throw a 100k $ and I'll spend 6 months building it for you.

Plus, Quora is on it already: http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-Evernote-alternative-for-Linux

I'm much more eager to change Evernote to something else, than change my whole workflow and OS. Sorry Evernote, you're becoming irrelevant (for me at least).

That's called voting with your wallet. Hope it works. And if you should find what you are seeking, let us all know.

Dear Howard,
Last time I checked, we're still in 2015, where companies have MESSAGE BOARDS, hosted on the INTERNET, for their USERS, where said USERS may propose solutions (be it sound or not) that will ENHANCE a USERS's experience of SAID COMPANY's PRODUCT. I had to make it in capitals because your post gave me too much cancer to handle. It was either caps or comic sans. Bottom line, I don't want a Wal-Mart type of Internet. I want a tech company to at least acknowledge the fact, that not all users of their great product (which Evernote in fact is, and that's why I even bother posting) are domain-bounded fanboy mindless sheep (let's keep that phrase in the "figure of speech" section). But hey, whatever, it turns out I'm good without premium, since I just stopped using evernote for critical tasks.

Now, allow me to reiterate my claims, for why an Official Linux Evernote Client would win my money back, by going premium again -

• Because there is already an unoffical client https://github.com/baumgarr/Nixnote2 , and the development can be checked out here.  So, as I understand, being a major software company like Evernote, it will be too crippling of a task to create an official version, which in fact took one man three years to develop for free? Is it just me, or is there something else at stake here, say, keeping the mindless domain-bounded sheep domain-bounded? I have yet to see a completely reasonable, meritorically correct argument against an Evernote client for linux. All I hear is
  • In fact, I curate my own distro established in 2008 only for my uses - it's synced across all my machines, gives seamless integration between designer apps I use, stuff like smartphone integration and such,  my drives are physically encrypted by enc2fs. I'm happy with what I've done, took me a while to build it, and I do not expect myself to go back to any product of Google, Microsoft or Apple as my primary workstation os. Probably not in this millenium, at least, and I don't think any vendor can convince me.
  • Basically, even though Linux has developed significantly, you still have to spend some time hacking your system to fine-tune it to your needs. BUT - from a software development standpoint, the flurry of available technologies (say, hmm, this? for starters) is not stopping a mediocre software development team from building a great piece of a product. Especially, when you have an open-source "clone" already available! In all honesty, going open source exclusively for a linux client would only benefit Evernote. And a lot.
  • ?????Profit

I hope we are now on the same page here. Thanks for your message, points taken, but I hope I cleared things up for you why I'm just posting again and again in this topic.

ED: I can clearly see that tere are in fact two popular threads on this subforum, it's this one with ~140k views, and another one, 160k topic about using Evernote as a todo list. If I was evernote, I would really recap wtf is happening here.

Try marching into Wal-Mart and demanding that they sell you a car. If you are lucky, you will only get laughed at.

But since you think that sort of thing is ok, maybe I should demand that you write an EverNote replacement that will run on Linux. See how well that works?

If somebody *does* write an EverNote replacement that is suitably cross-platform, I may well buy it -- and drop my premium subscription to EverNote, even though the cost only amounts to a flea-bite. But jumping up and down and pitching a fit because EverNote doesn't see fit to do it is unlikely to accomplish much -- except getting yourself laughed at.

That's called voting with your wallet. Hope it works. And if you should find what you are seeking, let us all know.

• Like 1

Yay, just got an e-mail from iTunes Store. The premium subscription price has gone up 15%. Good thing the automatic renewal got paused because of this. I will resume it if/when there is an official Linux client available. Also, they really should port the Windows version to OSX because it is superior.

What are you talking about, crazy Duck Man? Your analogy is far off kilter, I cannot help but to think you're stoned.

Let's put this in perspective: I go to the local car dealer and all they have are snowmobiles. I tell them, "I would buy one if I could commute to work on it. But we live in Arizona and it never snows here, they are not even capable of driving on the freeway. If you ever get a nice sports car, or SUV I might do business with you".

See the difference between right field, left field, and even being close to the ballpark?

What are you talking about, crazy Duck Man? Your analogy is far off kilter, I cannot help but to think you're stoned.

Let's put this in perspective: I go to the local car dealer and all they have are snowmobiles. I tell them, "I would buy one if I could commute to work on it. But we live in Arizona and it never snows here, they are not even capable of driving on the freeway. If you ever get a nice sports car, or SUV I might do business with you".

See the difference between right field, left field, and even being close to the ballpark?

Thank you for this.

If only the chrome app can run offline, then at least I can work with something while the developers take their sweet time to create that linux native app. 
Alas, all it is, is just an oversized bookmark. 

+3 on a Linux client (I would have to install it on 3 computers). It beats the sh*t outta me, why Evernote has no Linux love, while for the rest they are present on pretty much every other platform (even Kindle). I have read several threads, but could not find any official comment on thist. What's up with that?

Google Keep have offline mode - technically this is possible to make Evernote chrome app that can work offline, maybe not for all 1000000 of notes, but few hundreds of last + think about Chrome OS + speed of loading.

Just started working on this today.  Evernote in a Docker container using wine : http://thshaw.blogspot.ie/2015/07/running-evernote-in-docker.html @@tomwillfixit

There may be some issues but it's kinda cool.

I'm not that familiar with docker so can you please write a bit more about this? What's the difference to running/installing win evernote client with wine and so on? Thanks

It is sad you guys do not have an official app for linux. My favorite note taking and I can not use it in my favorite os. The computer industry privacy controversies are making me ever more uncomfortable at each new update and is pushing me back to linux, which I have always enjoyed but I still need the software availability for work so I would like to keep my evernote. There is almost a decently working open source alternative for everything now but not for evernote. The third party clients out there just do not work good enough.

• Like 1

With the changes to Microsoft and the new version Windows 10 that tracks every thing one does.....will Evernote as a company be looking to support other OS?  I am moving to Linux in the near future and don't want to lose my evernote.  But I am not willing for Microsoft to track all that I do on my computer either. 

• Like 1

Native client would be best, but at least a web client that does everything is a must for serious work. 

By everything I mean at least: offline work, easy back-up of my database, and, well, all the features of a windows client -- randomly I found, that one cannot link from one note to another, except in windows client. 

I paid for the premium account, but, frankly, I don't understand what is the advantage of Evernote over, say, Google Doc. I start to realize, that it is probably just a gigantic hype, so will probably migrate my notes elsewhere, before the bubble bursts. 

Interesting point. I've had a premium account for a long time, but I never thought about using google drive. I checked it out and tried to see if I would miss something from Evernote and two things came to mind. 1 - The web clipper, really love that functionality. 2 - Tags, I guess you could add that to the document it self, but not really the same thing. Other than that, I guess there isn't much difference, Evernote I think is a bit faster to work with, but other than that, I don't know.

As someone that is using Linux Mint currently, I'd have to ask the various posters if they have tried NixNote as an alternate client in Linux?

I mean, sure I'd love to see a native client, but Evernote has indicated in the past that they do not plan on developing one. There are ways to work around it, and I believe people have had decent luck with WINE.

As someone that is using Linux Mint currently, I'd have to ask the various posters if they have tried NixNote as an alternate client in Linux?

I mean, sure I'd love to see a native client, but Evernote has indicated in the past that they do not plan on developing one. There are ways to work around it, and I believe people have had decent luck with WINE.

Yes. I gave up on Wine. It was good at first but couldn't cope with updates. They knackered the registry. On another linux system later versions would not install at all. There is much in forums as to why.

NixNote 2.0 is ok if you can get it running. Because they are alphas/beta they are not likely to be in your repositories and do not use current libraries. Hence you have to do manual install and then enable backports and run different library versions in parallel. Fun if you are a geek but no solution for a production system. Which is why I have deprecated Evernote. I'm sure even EV can't argue with that if you wish to plan for an OS agnostic future.

I run Evernote in Wine on two different Fedora (20 & 21) boxes. Unfortunately the only version I've managed to get working is 5.6.4.4632, any newer than that and it wont start using Wine.

I tried NixNote about a year ago, but I though it was too rough. And I agree with Brainsys comment also. I would love continue working with Evernote, but I'm affraid I have to start looking for an alternative since I'm a bit worried how long I can stay on 5.6.4 version.

I run Evernote in Wine on two different Fedora (20 & 21) boxes. Unfortunately the only version I've managed to get working is 5.6.4.4632, any newer than that and it wont start using Wine.

I tried NixNote about a year ago, but I though it was too rough. And I agree with Brainsys comment also. I would love continue working with Evernote, but I'm affraid I have to start looking for an alternative since I'm a bit worried how long I can stay on 5.6.4 version.

I've used evernote on wine with F21 for a while. I am currently using EN version 5.8.7.5 I think. It runs ok, sometimes I have issues but overall ok. The web is just lacking some features and also has some usability issues. I just say that Evernote was cutting jobs and closing offices and concentrating on business. It will suck if they ***** the consumer. I've been a premium user since the 09 or 10 and would hate to have to close my account. 

I'm still waiting for the official Linux client.

How's that going, evernote? How's that "failed unicorn" status hangin'?

In fact, as I have to pay for Premium again, I feel highly discriminated that your web-based service does not offer support for other operating systems. I hope to one day sue you.