(Archived) Tag / Sub-Tag question

Hi,

I have a short question:

when I use the mouse to select a tag in the left side pane, then Evernote filters to show all notes containing this tag.

However I rather expected Evernote to show also all notes containing subtags of the selected tag.

Is the current behaviour by intend? If yes, what's the purpose of having a tag hierarchy, other than being able to present tags in a tree in the side panel.

I mean the hierarchy won't help when searching/filtering notes, right?

Regards,

Herbert

• 3 weeks later...

Crane, it does work (I tried it out before I sent that note), but for some mysterious reason, it has to be a slow double click. I should have mentioned that.

Are we talking about the same thing? EN 3 beta, on windows. Click on a tag, then click again, and I should get the tag and it's children?

I've been trying it (even before I sent my first response), and all I get, regardless of my double-click speed, is a toggle between tag on and tag off.

Sigh.

Very strange. It definitely works for me--and yes, Windows client version 3.0.0.550 (27500).

Did you check the number of notes selected at the bottom of the screen after double-clicking?

What is slightly confusing is that the pattern of bolding doesn't change after the second click.

In my test setup, when I click the tag, it reads: Test tag (1) > Test subtag (1 of 3). And both lines are in boldface. Then if I click the tag a second time, it reads: Test tag (1) > Test subtag (3). And both lines still boldface. But at the bottom of the screen I can see that I have now selected 3 notes rather than 1.

Nope, I just get a count of 1 of 2 vs. 1 of 500+, i.e., one of the two notes in Test 1, or one of all the notes in all my databases.

And I know I can't manually select Test 1 and Test 2, because that just gives me the intersection of the two categories.

Oh well. It's not like I'm actually going to be using EN3 anyway :)

I don't understand why we're getting different results, but I agree that these experiments feel a bit divorced from reality at the moment.

I suspect that EN3 doesn't really handle subtags well at all, because the world of tagging on the Web seems almost always to consist of stupefyingly long, alphabetical lists of single-level tags. How that model represents an improvement on the sophisticated system of categories (not to mention category intersections) in EN2 is beyond me. I feel that we're being asked to sacrifice a great deal for the sake of Web synchronization.

One great thing about EN2 is that, if you wish, in the category panel you can mimic the appearance of a hierarchy of notes and get at least some of the benefits of an outline arrangement -- without giving up those wonderful categories. Now in EN3 we just have some very stripped-down tags (and saved searches in a different list). The obvious conclusion is that it's no longer possible to do much in the way of organizing information; EN has become merely a repository of data that is easy to search.

The obvious conclusion is that it's no longer possible to do much in the way of organizing information; EN has become merely a repository of data that is easy to search.

That's it in a nutshell, unfortunately.

we're being asked to sacrifice a great deal for the sake of Web synchronization.

I definitely can't select all subtags (in a kind of OR search) as I was able to in the previous version.

Could anyone in EverNote clarify whether this feature is going to be re-incorporated (ough... I reeaally don't like to ask for things that were already in previous versions...) soon or is something that can't be fixed due to the web synchronization?

The presence or absence of this basic, easy, elementary and totally intuitive ability would allow me to decide whether I can still find a use (a more restricted one) for EN3 or not...

Thanks,

Archived