Exporting EN Notes

JErnestGo

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JErnestGo said:

How do you export EN Notes to Google Drive as a Google Doc, or PDF File? and/or save EN Notes on Desktop as PDF File?

Exporting is easy on the Windows/Mac platforms, just select the notes and File > Export

Converting formats is more complicated; Evernote only offers two export formats html or xml

You will have to look to third party sources of format conversion

Which platform do you use?

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Exporting is easy on the Windows/Mac platforms, just select the notes and File > Export

Converting formats is more complicated; Evernote only offers two export formats html or xml

You will have to look to third party sources of format conversion

Which platform do you use?

I am using MAC OS and I'm trying to find a way to store Files from my EN that need fewer interaction, so I am moving them to Google Drive.

• Level 5*

You could (presumably) print notes to PDF files and save those,  or if you don't need access to the notes,  export them to ENEX and save externally.  Delete the originals until/ unless required - then import and access.

For information - the Windows Beta app has just come up with a feature called 'on demand sync' which will presumably make its way to Mac shortly - notes that aren't in use are not downloaded to the device.  I just set up my account on a backup laptop.  The database should be 16GB+,  but currently occupies less than one.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-22 at 2:35 PM, JErnestGo said:

I am using MAC OS and I'm trying to find a way to store Files from my EN that need fewer interaction, so I am moving them to Google Drive.

I got that - but why are you also converting format to pdf
I find the native html export format works for me, particularily with attachments

Export Note does export and pdf conversion

On 2/26/2017 at 1:22 AM, DTLow said:

I got that - but why are you also converting format to pdf
I find the native html export format works for me, particularily with attachments

Export Note does the export and pdf conversion

I find the use of PDF more versatile than other formats. 

I find that the EN Note can be converted into PDF, albeit that there is still a need to manually move that PDF to Google Drive. Unless it is the other way around where EN can pull files on demand from Google Drive.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

I find the use of PDF more versatile than other formats. 

I'm thinking that over time, this html thing might catch on  :)

Actually my practice is to convert all my static data to pdf attachment
For example, all my web clipplings, scans, stored emails, ....

In exporting to html, a folder is created for each note and all attachments are preserved in their native format (pdf/jpg/doc/...)

I haven't managed to automate the pdf conversion, but it's just a couple of clicks on my Mac

The advantages I see for PDF format

• Pdfs can be easily encryped
    encrypted in my notes; also encrypted in my backups
  • The data becomes read-only; a feature missing in EN
  • The data can be emailed - it's portable 
    Emailed html data sometimes is displayed strangely for recipients

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/27/2017 at 0:27 AM, DTLow said:

I'm thinking that over time, this html thing might catch on  :)

Actually my practice is to convert all my static data to pdf attachment
For example, all my web clipplings, scans, stored emails, ....

In exporting to html, a folder is created for each note and all attachments are preserved in their native format (pdf/jpg/doc/...)

I haven't managed to automate the pdf conversion, but it's just a couple of clicks on my Mac

The advantages I see for PDF format

• Pdfs can be easily encryped
    encrypted in my notes; also encrypted in my backups
  • The data becomes read-only; a feature missing in EN
  • The data can be emailed - it's portable 
    Emailed html data sometimes is displayed strangely for recipients

Google drive does NOT render HTML files. I read this was due to some people attempting to cache entire websites on their GDrive. And I found HTML support in other services like Dropbox or Onedrive to be rather spotty, especially on mobile devices.

Also, keeping any kind of a document that you may need to update with notes in HTML is difficult / requires special tools.

Adding notes to PDFs, on the other hand, is very easy from any platform. I actually prefer annotated PDFs to Word files for keeping track of issues like billing. 

Archived