Add Custom Field

chemie

Idea

I have a unique need to add custom sorting fields to my notes. I think its not possible but I was wondering if there is a way. 

I am attaching screenshot to show what I mean by custom sorting field. Instaed of the ones listen in there, it is possible to add two more fields. Each note has 3 unique numbers and I want to be able to re-arrange notes based on that number. 

I wanted to see if it is possible because of the speed of evernote. I do not want to learn or migrate my huge data to databases, that would be an Herculean task for me. However I am open for suggestions and ideas to accomplish this. 

Thanks for your help

Evernote.png

19 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

AirTable also has an API that should let me access a specific Table or Record from Evernote, but I have not used that yet.

I just confirmed and used this.  It is very simple.

When viewing Airtable in the browser, you can just copy the URL of the table, or display a record, and copy the URL of the record.  Then just paste this into your Evernote Note.

I actually have a Keyboard Maestro Macro that creates a rich text hyperlink using the web page title and URL.  Then I just paste that into Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-22 at 5:53 PM, chemie said:

Would the script work with Numbers? I do not have MS Excel on my Mac. 

I finally got around to this after a year.  Here's the Numbers script to export to a spreadsheet.

tell application id "com.apple.iWork.Numbers"
set thisSpreadsheet to open "/Users/david/..../aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.numbers"
tell thisSpreadsheet

set newSheet to make new sheet with properties {name:yyyymm}

tell newSheet

delete every table

set newTable to make new table with properties {column count:3, row count:2, name:yyyymm}

tell newTable

tell row 1

set value of cell 1 to yyyymm

set value of cell 2 to "Details"

set value of cell 3 to "Amount"

end tell -- row 1

repeat with theNote in theNoteList

add row below last row

tell last row
                           set value of cell 1 to aaaaaa

set value of cell 2 to theNote

set value of cell 3 to bbbbbb

end tell -- last row

end repeat

end tell -- newTable

end tell -- newSheet
end tell -- thisSpreadsheet
end tell -- Numbers

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

One think I look for is that the applications are scriptable, allowing for single entry

I understand. Well technically if an application stores document data onto the hard disk somehow so that they're in a readable format, it's possible to write a script that would scrape data from the document even if the application that created it wasn't scriptable.

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-26 at 9:53 AM, Riku said:

The only downside is that I have to maintain them both.

One thing I look for is that the applications are scriptable, allowing for single entry

I know what you mean. I don't have a solution, just some experiences and ideas for handling it differently.

As for Evernote, I've started to take advantage of emojis by adding something specific to the beginning of the titles so I can comprehend much faster what type of notes they are. That way I won't have to read absolutely every title, only the ones starting with the combination of 1-3 symbols to catch my attention. To see, say, which ones are templates, which ones are how-tos, and which ones are drafts in progress, for example.

I use iDatabase if I want to create sets that always have the same custom fields that I can then sort and filter by. Select-lists, booleans, checkboxes and so on. Parameters really. At least earlier versions experienced some occasional crashes but it's great if you need to create stuff intuitively without the cold, tedious and cluttered environment of spreadsheet software. The database files end up looking like some sort of "settings" or questionnaire forms. That vs. Evernote vs. Excel are all different, thus ideal for different types of information handling. Evernote is great for a lot of text, while iDatabase is about the boxes and fields. I use them in parallel. The only downside is that I have to maintain them both. But that's the information age – we spend more and more time just trying to manage the data instead of just using and creating it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Would you mind also sharing the Excel file (with no data of course) so we have the proper setup?

Evernote-Copy-2.xlsx

57 minutes ago, chemie said:

@DTLow Would the script work with Numbers? I do not have MS Excel on my computer. 

I actually started to convert to a Numbers spreadsheet and my initial impression was Numbers/AppleScript lacks many features

If anyone converts the script  to Numbers, please post it.  I'd prefer Numbers  to Excel

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, chemie said:

Would the script work with Numbers?

Maybe @DTLow will have a better answer, but IME Apple Numbers is a royal PITA to script.

IAC, the part of the script that interfaces with Excel  would have to be completely rewritten using the scripting terms supported by Numbers.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, chemie said:

can you please share the script.

Here's the script to store Evernote data in a spreadsheet

I have it scheduled to run overnight to access any notes updated the previous day; you could also run it as you're processing a note

The first thing to modify is the location of the speadsheet file

Next would be the Excel update where the spreadsheet is updated

Evernote_Metadata copy.scpt

Evernote-Copy-2.xlsx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Main 

property theWorkbookFile : "/Users/david/Desktop/Evernote.xlsx"         <<<<<<<<<<

tell application "Microsoft Excel"

open theWorkbookFile

tell active workbook

activate object worksheet "Evernote"

end tell

end tell

tell application "Evernote" to set theNotes to find notes ("updated:day-1 -updated:day")

repeat with theNote in theNotes

ProcessNote(theNote)

end repeat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Subroutine:  Process Note

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- - Insert Metadata to Spreadsheet

on ProcessNote(theNote)

tell application "Evernote"

set theTitle to title of theNote

set theSubjectDate to subject date of theNote

set theCreateDate to creation date of theNote

set theUpdateDate to modification date of theNote

set theReminderDate to reminder time of theNote

set theLink to note link of theNote

set theNotebook to name of notebook of theNote

set theTagList to tags of theNote

end tell

tell application "Microsoft Excel"                                        

set lastRow to first row index of (get end (last cell of column 1) direction toward the top)

set therow to lastRow + 1

goto ("A" & therow)

tell worksheet "Sheet1" of active workbook

<<<<<<<<<<<<

set value of range ("A" & therow & ":G" & therow) to {theLink, theTitle, theSubjectDate, theCreateDate, theUpdateDate, theReminderDate, theNotebook}

set theTags to ""

repeat with theTag in theTagList

set theTags to theTags & name of theTag & " "

end repeat

set value of range ("H" & therow & ":H" & therow) to {theTags}

end tell

save workbook

end tell

return ""

end ProcessNote

DTLow  - I like your idea, can you please share the script. Does it require lot of programming knowledge to modify it?

i did not try creating unique tags and try to sort on them. But by the time I am done creating 3 uniques set I will reach about 12k tags. Even the through of manually creating them is scaring me to death.

• Level 5*

Airtable integrates well with Evernote.  You can set a table field to be a URL, which can be the local, Classic URL to an Evernote Note, like "evernote:///view/770598199/s27/. . .".  Clicking the link in AirTable opens the EN Note in EN Mac or EN iOS.

AirTable also has an API that should let me access a specific Table or Record from Evernote, but I have not used that yet.

Thus, I have the best of both worlds.  ?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

BTW, if you can't get Evernote to do what you want, you might want to take a look at AirTable.  It is really great system that is highly customizable.  

I am also exploring keeping my Note meta data in a simple spreadsheet
This allows me to add new fields
It also means the data will be available to me outside of Evernote

I'm currently using a script on my Mac to update the spreadsheet whenever notes are added/updated

58ae0b21b7567_ScreenShot2017-02-22at2_04_51PM.thumb.png.b14729520f07af88fe92840fc4ff3d0b.png

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, chemie said:

I have a unique need to add custom sorting fields to my notes. I think its not possible but I was wondering if there is a way. 

BTW, if you can't get Evernote to do what you want, you might want to take a look at AirTable.  It is really great system that is highly customizable.  

Organize anything, with anyone, from anywhere.
Our native mobile and desktop apps make it easy to edit, comment, and collaborate in real time — changes are instantly synced across everyone's devices.

Airtable fields can handle any content you throw at them. Add attachments, long text notes, checkboxes, links to records in other tables—even barcodes. Whatever you need to stay organized.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, chemie said:

I think that's a great idea!  ?

I suggested much the same many years ago.  Allowing the user to create multiple custom fields could turn Evernote from a general-purpose Note app into many different "custom apps", tailored for specific industries, uses, etc.

But, if I understand you correctly, you are really asking for two new features:

1. Custom Fields
  2. Multiple Sort Fields

Since Evernote uses SQLite internally, providing #2 should be relatively easy.  Mostly a UI change.

Both of these have been requested many times in the past, and unfortunately Evernote has not seen fit to provide them as of today (2017-02-22).

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, chemie said:

I have a unique need to add custom sorting fields to my notes.

Sorry, it's not possible to add fields to the Evernote database

The best you can do is use title sequence, and add custom information to the title; but that only addresses one field

Archived