Search bug or user error?

• Level 5*

If I click on a "group tag" in the left panel, I get 493 notes. When I then enter -tag:xxx in the search notes box, I get all 17,000+ notes showing. I want to be able to see all notes in the group, but not those that are tagged with xxx. Is this a bug, or am I not understanding the search strategy? I guess this is another plea for full boolean search abilities!

Edit to add that it works fine when I select just the top level tag in the Ctrl-Shift-T page and then do the -tag:xxx. The answer in this case is 431 notes.

• Level 5*

Thanks - that does not work if you have multiple tags selected. The only way to make sure it works is to select the top level term on the CTRL-Shift-T page, after making sure that the subtag items have the top level tag added to them. AFAIK the only way to tag the subtag notes is to select the tag individually... Definitely something I should have done years ago before I had 17,341 notes!

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Thanks - that does not work if you have multiple tags selected. The only way to make sure it works is to select the top level term on the CTRL-Shift-T page, after making sure that the subtag items have the top level tag added to them. AFAIK the only way to tag the subtag notes is to select the tag individually... Definitely something I should have done years ago before I had 17,341 notes!

Yeah, the include all child tags except one would require an AND search.  If you have the left panel open you can select the parent and then Ctrl-click to remove the tag you don't want to see in the search.  

You can also go to Tools - Options - Navigation - Automatically select child tags to control that behavior.  FWIW.

Archived