Collapsible Tag Hierarchy

FactMan

Idea

• Level 5*

The tag hierarchy in the left panel works OK - it is easy to collapse groups of tags into the main tag to make it easier to locate a particular tag - I usually use the keyboard arrows for that. However, when I click on Ctrl-Shift-T, every time the hierarchy is expanded, and there is no way that I have found to be able to collapse it without clicking on individual arrowheads to collapse the group. Why can the two systems of managing the hierarchy work the same?

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Rob Freundlich said:

That's a decent workaround, but it's still a workaround. It'd still be better if the application offered "expand/collapse children" at each level, and "expand/collapse all" at the top - that's a pretty standard thing for tree/hierarchical UI's.

It does, you just hold down the Shift key when you expand/collapse the level. The workaround above is just needed for "Tags view" and when you want to collapse or expand all levels.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, FactMan said:

The tag hierarchy in the left panel works OK - it is easy to collapse groups of tags into the main tag to make it easier to locate a particular tag - I usually use the keyboard arrows for that. However, when I click on Ctrl-Shift-T, every time the hierarchy is expanded, and there is no way that I have found to be able to collapse it without clicking on individual arrowheads to collapse the group. Why can the two systems of managing the hierarchy work the same?

I don't know if I understood you exactly but I suggest you create a "master" tag where you put all your tags, and then hold down the Shift key when you collapse it to collapse everything while in Tag view.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2/21/2017 at 3:07 PM, gustavgi said:

I don't know if I understood you exactly but I suggest you create a "master" tag where you put all your tags, and then hold down the Shift key when you collapse it to collapse everything while in Tag view.

You understood me enough! Thank you, @gustavgi for this great work-around. Now that I have reduced the number of 'top level' tags, this will save me a lot of time. I will look at creating more master tags.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:07 PM, gustavgi said:

That's a decent workaround, but it's still a workaround. It'd still be better if the application offered "expand/collapse children" at each level, and "expand/collapse all" at the top - that's a pretty standard thing for tree/hierarchical UI's.

18 hours ago, gustavgi said:

It does, you just hold down the Shift key when you expand/collapse the level. The workaround above is just needed for "Tags view" and when you want to collapse or expand all levels.

True, although the Shift thing isn't very discoverable - I've been using Evernote for 11 years and I am only just now learning about it. Having the options on the right-click menu would be nice.

And then, once they're their, having them available and in the right-click menu in Tags view would be an obvious, usable, extension of that.