select multiple notes in new web interface?

Carr1e

I'm an involuntary convert to the new version of Evernote web because of an issue in the old version that I'm told will not be fixed but makes my notes entirely inaccessible.  

So.  I'm trying to make it work.  Trying so hard.  I've encountered another gotcha that I'm hoping I'm missing something simple on.

How.  Do you select multiple notes?  In the old version, you just ctrl + click.  In the new version, I've tried ctrl, shift and alt.  Tell me there is a way.  Please.  

@Carr1e,

I took a quick look at your case and it looks like the issue you were encountering - note snippets not appearing in the old version of Evernote Web on Chrome v56 - will be fixed in our service release this Wednesday. In the meantime, until the fix is released, you should be able to view the note snippets in the old web version in any other browser outside of Chrome. I hope this helps!

2 hours ago, kgg said:

I took a quick look at your case and it looks like the issue you were encountering - note snippets not appearing in the old version of Evernote Web on Chrome v56 - will be fixed in our service release this Wednesday. In the meantime, until the fix is released, you should be able to view the note snippets in the old web version in any other browser outside of Chrome. I hope this helps!

@kgg, you just made my week.  There are literally tears in my eyes.  I don't know how to tell you how painful the last week has been... the struggle was real.  Looking forward to tomorrow!

Similar issue. Combining notes, will this be fixed as well? With this new UI we cannot click multiple notes that means we cannot combine notes. Very frustrating, it would be wonderful if we have the option to revert to the previous UI. Nothing against new and improved, except we are missing functions we are accustom to using, and depend on using.

Using web Evernote on Chromebook, Chrome OS update 2017-02-20, version 56.0.2924.101

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, katmai said:

This new web interface cannot move existing notes to other notebooks.

You certainly can: use the notebook dropdown in the toolbar above the note to select the new notebook.

• 8 months later...

@kgg, It's happening again!  Search results are disappearing.  Again, I started with support who is again telling me I have to migrate to the new web version and still, the new version doesn't do suggested searches or multi-select, making it entirely unusable with the number of notes, labels and notebooks I'm working with.  To add insult to injury, I can't use the windows app either because google authenticate isn't working.  In the meantime, I can't get at my data.  I'm so frustrated!   I have tickets open on both issues.  Any hope of getting a fix?

9 minutes ago, Carr1e said:

@kgg, It's happening again!  Search results are disappearing.  Again, I started with support who is again telling me I have to migrate to the new web version and still, the new version doesn't do suggested searches or multi-select, making it entirely unusable with the number of notes, labels and notebooks I'm working with.  To add insult to injury, I can't use the windows app either because google authenticate isn't working.  In the meantime, I can't get at my data.  I'm so frustrated!   I have tickets open on both issues.  Any hope of getting a fix?

Hi Carr1e,

Truly I understand your frustration with Evernote. Since the beginning of Evernote I have been a paid member, that will end at the end of this subscription, January 2018. Though Evernote has been a outstanding program it appears to be going down hill; feature bloat and instability, web version is exceedingly lacking. It has caused me so much frustration that the past week, almost finished, I have migrated my documents out of Evernote.

May sound crazy, my Evernote documents are now all in Google Drive and Google Keep, with a few in Apple Notes. There are upsides and downsides, yet accessing and sharing my documents makes my life already better. Yes, I will miss many of the Evernote features, however they can truly be left behind. My sanity is most important.

With whatever you decide to do I wish your well.

@DTLow  Sure.  #1 is just after doing the search.  You can see the note count at the bottom of the search results panel.  Then I scroll down and back up using the scroll bar in the middle panel and screenshot 2 is the result.  You can still see the post count at the bottom but all the results after the first two are just... gone.  Once this happens, the only way to use evernote again is to reload and start over with search after search, hopefully more specific so that I don't have to scroll to find it in the list.  This makes searches for a note among thousands - not possible. 

I opened ANOTHER ticket with Evernote, who's initial response - again - is 'use the new version of web'.  But I can't because the new version doesn't have suggested searches or the ability to multi select notes, which ALSO makes managing and searching through many notes, notebooks and tags untenable.  I'm hoping that, again, they come back with something more amenable to keeping long term customers who are more likely to have more notes and need the ability to manage and search them easily.  

evernote 1.PNG

evernote 2.PNG

@RicD, I am exploring a collection of options as well.  I'm already an avid google drive user and I found a great visual planning tool, BeeCanvas, and a mindmapping tool, MindMup that integrates with it and might provide something that I was missing with Evernote entirely but also serves to underscore that moving all of my writing into Google docs would be the hot ticket.  I will probably also move all of my bookmarks into Google keep.

For my more important information, projects and research (genealogy, health etc),  that I need to be searchable and accessible,  I am looking at NibusNote, which is very similar to the new Evernote web products but with the ability to select tags for search, which is at least half of my battle with the new version of Evernote web (multi note select only in the app, which is on par with Evernote). 

DropBox Paper has promise but it's not there yet, for me.  I used to use simplenote, which is still charming so it might be a good fit for the less intensive stuff.  Kdan noteledge looks amazing but a lot of it's features are focused at apple and I'm a PC.

I explored these options in February the first time this happened but then, once they resolved it, felt (perhaps falsely lulled into) a sense that Evernote just had a serious customer service oversight and had corrected it.  Shame on me.  

At any rate, I have, again, started the process of cleaning up my notes for import into the tools of my choice.  Evernote and I had a good run, I suppose.  Of course, all of the information in this post was based upon my referencing my notes in NimbusNote, because Evernote isn't functional as I write this.  Yay, Evernote?  

Hi Carr1e,

Please be aware with the following I am not dissing Evernote, just explaining why I am leaving. In the past I was an extreme Evernote supporter and assisted many folks wanting to use Evernote. 

Yes, you most definitely looked at many more systems and programs, than I . One that appears promising is Bear, however I think it is only available for Mac.

As an aside my computer life began with a Commodore 64, C/PM, MS DOS, Windows, Apple. Oops, I am dating myself. A few years my eight year old MBP died, then I moved to use a Chromebook, looking to a new MBP.

In an above post quote: "...But I can't because the new version doesn't have suggested searches or the ability to multi select notes, which ALSO makes managing and searching through many notes, notebooks and tags untenable...". unquote. This comment explains much of my frustration.

After many years of using Evernote and paying for their service my decision is I want all my files, scans, and the like outside a note taking app such as Evernote, OneNote, and the like. Google Keep and Apple Notes are now my quick captures, they are much quicker, easier to work with, move around in, share, and manipulate than Evernote.

At one time I had ten thousands plus notes in Evernote; wow on all my devices it was slow and had issues. Went through my notes pared them down to 1,300-ish important do not want to live without notes. Much of what I deleted can easily be searched for on the web equally as fast as launching Evernote searching my own notes. I am quitting being a digital hoarder.

Those 1,300-ish notes were either converted to PDF or copied/pasted into Google Docs; yes much work. Counted 140-ish are in Google Keep with all copied to Apple Notes as well. Again, both apps are faster and easier to access my files than using Evernote.

Using my smartphone all my scans go to Google Drive. Wow, these smartphone scanning apps are amazing, their quality is just as good as my Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner. Oh, for Mac users in the Finder (think Windows Explorer) we can tag files the same as Evernote.

With this setup when there is need to send a file I can easily send it. With my iPhone using Google Keep capture a document it will be OCR'd, converted to text as well. With Apple Notes I can scan a form sign it then return it; easy-peasy lemon-squeeze. With my files removed from Evernote into Google Drive now I can easily move my files and folders, something I could not do with the Web version of Evernote.

To Keep it simple I am using the directory structure in Google Drive, it is ever much easier than my struggles of late with Evernote on the Web. Using a Chromebook there is not a Evernote app you are pointed to Evernote on the Web. On my iPad and iPhone there is an app, but I have become quite frustrated with them. Old school is where I am going; files in folders I control.

With all my file outside of Evernote I am better able to do what needs to be accomplished. Also, I do not have to concern myself about what will occur with the next Evernote update, UI change, and the like.

Before Evernote the Cloud as a storage medium was not much of a viable option. Today the Cloud is amazing, so much so I neither need Evernote holding all my data in their container on my HDD/SSD, nor on their servers. Oh, I do not maintain any documents, images, videos, locally, everything is on the Cloud. Regardless of any tragedy that may befall my computers my files are safe.

Yes, I could go on about this issue, but it would become quite boring; if the above is, I apologize. Again, I hope you find a solution that fits you well.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, RicD said:

a proprietary note taking app such as Evernote,

My understanding is the Evernote format is not proprietary; it's mostly html code (web page stuff)

I mostly use office/iwork file attachments and they also remain in their native format

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

My understanding is the Evernote format is not proprietary; it's mostly html code (web page stuff)

I mostly use office/iwork file attachments and they also remain in their native format

Yes, you are correct, on my part a poor choice of words. At the time I made my comment I was thinking of the Evernote backup file, .enex.

Also, I have a plethora of iWork files as well, many Numbers and Pages files, only two Keynote. For the past few years most of the folks I correspond with switched to Google office suite, thus I have been working mostly in Google Docs, Sheets, a few Slides files. As for using MS Office, only when one sends me such a file, quite rare.

Archived