Nested tag groups in the shortcuts sidebar

larykirk

Idea

Nesting tags is a great organizational feature but it would be much more powerful if selected tag hierarchies could be added to the shortcut sidebar just as nested folders are.

I know you can see them in the Tags Sidebar, but if you have thousands of tags, which I do, it's impractical.

It would useful, say, to drag an "Action" tag hierarchy, with a dozen tags, to the sidebar and be able to collapse and expand it to access the individual tags.

This seems so obvious, I'm wondering if it's possible and I just can't see it.

Any ideas?

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

2 hours ago, larykirk said:

Nesting tags is a great organizational feature but it would be much more powerful if selected tag hierarchies could be added to the shortcut sidebar just as nested folders are....

This seems so obvious, I'm wondering if it's possible and I just can't see it.

Not currently possible

Note; Your shortcut nested folders reference is actually stacks/notebooks.  
You're correct - it does work

>>I know you can see them in the Tags Sidebar, but if you have thousands of tags, which I do, it's impractical.

Just wondering about the "thousands of tags"
I'm thinking since you can expand/contract parent tags in the sidebar, this would reduce the number of tags displayed and make the list more manageable

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, you could collapse the parent tags in the sidebar, but there are hundreds of those for me, so it's still pretty unwieldy. Also, since you can nest tags in a deep hierarchy if you want, unlike the 2 level notebook-stack system, it would be even better if you could continue to drill down.

Would love to see nested tags we can intentionally drag into the sidebar, like stacked notebooks, and be able to expand/collapse them as needed.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, larykirk said:

Yes, you could collapse the parent tags in the sidebar, but there are hundreds of those for me, so it's still pretty unwieldy.

if you can't figure out any grouping, there's always A B C D E.....Z
I actually have  this for my top level

58aa3715abe94_ScreenShot2017-02-19at4_23_20PM.png.9f1ab19bff0f061e9d2e1f8b684ffe9c.png

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, larykirk said:

Interesting that you got icons inside the tag names? Is that a Mac option? First time I've seen it.

Might be an Apple thing, it works well on my Mac and iPad

One of the reasons for using them is that there's no tag hierarchy on my iPad, just a huge list.
It helps create breaks

Don't know if anyone will read this at this late date, but Evernote (for Mac, at least) has its own Emoji & Symbols Menu (under Edit).

Just hit Control + Command + Space Bar to bring up the menu. You can insert any of these images and symbols anywhere in Evernote, including tags. Sure does help to break up text and make it easier to find things.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 22.22.18.png

Screenshot 2017-08-16 22.21.57.png

Archived