Sync and Formatting Issues

Hi There,

Long-time fan of Evernote, I can't imagine life without it at this point. HOWEVER! Lately, my internal formatting of notes keeps getting wrecked.

For example, I include bold/italic/underline in my notes.

Then I'll go back to a note, and all my text will be one giant block of text. Talk about frustrating!

I will say that at work, where I access Evernote most, I do NOT have good phone service and NO Wi-Fi. I am wondering if the "Evernote cannot sync," which constantly pops up when I edit a note, has something to do with this. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Justin

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're not Evernote as such here,  just a (mostly) user-supported forum;  if you're a paying subscriber it's a good idea to contact support directly at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

You're certainly right that being unable to sync can be a major problem - particularly if you edit a note at home,  then edit the same note at work,  without it being updated from one end or the other.  Oddly I don't see any way that conflicting edits can mess up your formatting.

I'd suggest you check and make sure that you're using the latest Evernote version (currently 8.04) and if this comes up again,  contact support.  Duplicate the original corrupted note and hang on to that in case support need to see it.

Meantime make sure you manually sync your account before you come to work,  and as soon as possible after you leave,  to try and keep all your notes on the same version.

• Level 5*
On 2/18/2017 at 0:46 PM, jwnicholsdds said:

Hi There,

Long-time fan of Evernote, I can't imagine life without it at this point. HOWEVER! Lately, my internal formatting of notes keeps getting wrecked.

For example, I include bold/italic/underline in my notes.

Then I'll go back to a note, and all my text will be one giant block of text. Talk about frustrating!

I will say that at work, where I access Evernote most, I do NOT have good phone service and NO Wi-Fi. I am wondering if the "Evernote cannot sync," which constantly pops up when I edit a note, has something to do with this. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Justin

May be totally unrelated, but I have had table formats in notes reduced to a block of text with v8.1.  That has been reported as a bug.  Does not seem coincidental that there would be another unrelated bug borking formats....  Could be though I suppose.  :wacko:

Anyway, might want to report it through Twitter. 

I don't use twitter  so how am I supposed to report a bug????

I'll add to this thread and hope that Evernote reads them.   It used to be a great product.  IMO not so much anymore.

I am also seeing text format issues. The Web (firefox browser V51.0.1 (32-bit)) version has no highlighting (anymore?).  The Android version (7.9.8.2) has no text coloring (anymore).   When notes go back and forth all the formatting gets totally screwed up.   I sure that here used to be highlighting and text color in both the Firefox and Android versions.   

In addition if I remove formatting (simplify) all kinds of spaces between lines appear.

And copy/paste frequently results in a different size/color text than the copied text.

• Level 5*

Hi.

On 04/03/2017 at 9:14 PM, nvanbeancounter said:

I don't use twitter  so how am I supposed to report a bug????

Twitter is about the only option for Basic account users to get a direct response from Evernote.  Evernote have said they're aware of the copy/ paste issue and are working on it.  The fix may not be in the next update though - that's already in Beta.

Thanks for the info.  I really don't need them to get back to me. I just want to report bugs. I'm not going to sign up for Twitter just to reach Evernote.    I've been a basic member since 2012.  I didn't upgrade when they locked it down because I don't need lots of the functions and I use less than 5% of the monthly allocation. I certainly am not going to pay for something that is more buggy now then before they restricted the basic functionality.  

IMO they need to fix the formatting  options so they are the same in all platform versions.  For the life of me I can't figure out why the would take away text highlighting in one platform and text color in another. Maybe a premium member would care to take it on?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Premium subscriber and been using Evernote for several years. In the last couple of months my notes get corrupted often, formatting lost, it has become a recurrent issue (using iPhone, iPad and Mac, all on latest versions). It is very, very disappointing to see this happen after so many years.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Caul said:

I'm a Premium subscriber and been using Evernote for several years. In the last couple of months my notes get corrupted often, formatting lost, it has become a recurrent issue (using iPhone, iPad and Mac, all on latest versions). It is very, very disappointing to see this happen after so many years.

AFAIK this isn't a common experience,  and the fact your issue occurs on several platforms suggests it might be down to a slow or intermittent internet connection.  However as you're a premium subscriber you'll be able to use the support ticket link or chat feature. This is a (mainly) user-supported forum so we don't have the same level of access.

Thanks, I'll submit a support ticket to the Evernote team then.

As an aside, I don't think my network connection is slow or intermittent, and even so, the software should deal with it IMHO. You don't get corrupted frames in YouTube when your connection is slow. The thing simply stops. I think it's a major problem when it comes to trusting an application with you data. 

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestion.

• Level 5*

Take your point about YouTube,  but you're not expecting the video to be updated as you watch it - the feed is mainly one way.  Evernote has to maintain your editing screen with all the current content,  accept changes,  and send those edits back to the server to update the original.  Not as much volume traffic as HD video but much more of an interactive process.  Anyway - what do I know;  I'm just a user...  :(

Hi there! I am a Premium Subcriber with the same issues mentioned above. 

Formatted tables get lost and the whole Information is collected at the beginning of the note in a large bulk of text. 

That is extreamly inconvenient if your table was full of information. And this is not a problem due of a slow internetconnection. I've nearly all the time 4G with at least 100Mbit. 

Unfortunately I can't find a possibility the reproduce the issue because it happens randomly. 

I hope for fix very soon ?

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

As a premium subscriber you should have access to Note History - will that bring back the formatting when you next hit this issue?  How to access and use note history

Thanks for this information! 

I've never heard about this before, but it works fine - as a workaround (!)

But the main problem still persists - so thats why I contacted the support and they asked me for my activity log.

So I hope this will take us to the solution ;-)

• 3 months later...

Hello.  I have been having the exact same issues, as of a few weeks ago.  It is extremely frustrating.  I do not have any issues with slow internet, so that is not the cause.  I have no issues on my various windows laptops, but I have an iOS phone and the formatting changes.  I tried uninstalling, clearing cashe, deleting the note and readding.  Nothing is working.  It appears this is a common issue so I am hopeful it is fixed quiickly.

Archived