Am I able to bulk format notes / set a default style?

Lowey

Idea

Hi Guys!

I know that Evernote supports rich text formatting and that I can jump in and one by one apply formatting to my notes, but I was wondering, am I able to bulk format my notes? Say for example if I decide that headings, body text, table text etc. should all be a respective style, can I somehow do this? I don't mind if I have to use third party utilities or somehow jump in a use code.

I just can't deal with ugly notes!

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Lowey said:

Say for example if I decide that headings, body text, table text etc. should all be a respective style, can I somehow do this?

Evernote does not offer a "styles" option.  You can't do a bulk format change.

• Level 5*
On 2/17/2017 at 5:39 PM, Lowey said:

am I able to bulk format my notes? Say for example if I decide that headings, body text, table text etc. should all be a respective style, can I somehow do this?

As @DTLow said, EN Mac does NOT support true Styles.  The only thing you can do to change all Notes, is to change your Default Font in EN Preferences.  However, this will change ONLY text that has NOT had any styling applied to it.

The only option I can think of for changing the style of multiple Notes is to write an AppleScript.  However, this would be a very significant challenge since you would have to do one of these, and both are not easy:

1. Change the underlying HTML to add the styling you want.
  2. Select all (or, if possible, parts) of the Note text using GUI scripting, and apply the individual formatting choices (bold, font, size, etc) that you want.

Again, while both are feasible, it will be a challenge, even for an experienced AppleScript programmer.
So, unless you have many, many Notes to reformat (say > 100), it is probably not worth the effort.

Oh, just thought of one other possibility.  Change your Note font and size in EN Preferences, and then go to each Note, click in the body, and press ⌘⇧F to "Simplify Formatting".  Test it out on a few notes and see how you like it.  It will often reset the Note font/size to your EN default, and get rid of a lot of junk formatting.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived