PDF In-line Image

llewellen

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, llewellen said:

The link for the pdf now shows in the Note.  How do I get an inline image of the pdf into the Note? 

Not a web user, but I took a look at some of my notes.
I see pdfs in my notes as an "attachment" indicator.  There is no option for an inline view

I think the inline view option is only available on the Windows/Mac platforms 

But I did stumble across how to do this a couple of days ago and I do have images that I originally uploaded as pdf's displayed in a note as an image.  For the life of me, I can't remember or figure out how I did it but I know it's possible because the images are there on display.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, llewellen said:

But I did stumble across how to do this a couple of days ago and I do have images that I originally uploaded as pdf's displayed in a note as an image.  For the life of me, I can't remember or figure out how I did it but I know it's possible because the images are there on display.

Images display inline.  If you convert your pdfs to images you can see them

With respect, your response is not helpful because, rather than providing a practical answer, it just begs a further question.

In any case, the files in question are now displayed in the notes as images.  I have no idea how that happened because I did nothing further.  Perhaps there is a delay while Evernote converts from pdf to image.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, llewellen said:

With respect, your response is not helpful because, rather than providing a practical answer, it just begs a further question.

Sorry I can't be helpful; I can only let you know the facts

Another fact is that Evernote web is not converting your pdf to image
- you have to take care of this yourself

• Level 5*

I'd second the fact that Evernote Web doesn't (yet) display PDF files as inline images,  though the installed desktop versions do.  Files attached in Image format are displayed correctly.  It's possible to export a PDF file to separate page images if you have a PDF editor.

OK, but I do now have inline images that started out as pdf files.  I think what must be happening is this.  I started a new note.  While in that note I clicked the Attach icon and uploaded a pdf file.  It shows in the note only as a link to the file (it has the little paper clip icon).  I clicked on that and opened it.  Then I used Clipper, took a screenshot and clipped that to Evernote (Clipper prompted me as to which notebook I wanted to save the image to).

It seems to take a long time for Evernote to process this but eventually the image shows up in a new note and I can then delete the note that has just the link.  Extremely cumbersome.

BTW I am receiving two copies of each Reply to this post.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't know how you'd be receiving two copies of each reply - that's a forum feature that works fine for me.  As to processing each page twice to get an image - that's not exactly a recommended process.  All devices can take a screenshot.  If you really really must have a visible document in your note,  it would be far easier and quicker for you to investigate how to get a picture of the area you want to clip using the existing operating system or some third party software,  and to attach that to a note.  Clipper itself has a screenshot option you could use.

OK, I think what I'm hearing is this.  If I have a pdf file I want to display as an image in an Evernote note, I should first open the pdf file in a pdf viewer, use Clipper to take a screenshot and then have Clipper post that in the note.

Why does it seem to you unusual to have an inline image in a note?  Maybe I'm just spoiled from using OneNote where that is a simple, everyday function.  But that goes back to our earlier dialogue about Evernote being focused on being a repository, whereas OneNote is intended to be much more of an active workspace.

• Level 5*

To display a PDF file as an inline document - ie with pages visible - in the installed desktop application,  just attach the PDF to a note.  That may show up as a file icon in other devices because for storage,  bandwidth and speed reasons the Web and mobile apps don't pre-download note content.  The only way to see inline documents immediately in these clients is to use JPG or PNG file types rather than PDF.

If you already have a PDF file it should be possible,  in a PDF editor,  to convert the document to images using Save As or Export.  Sometimes the security settings in third party PDF files are set to prevent this sort of operation,  so that's note a guaranteed work-around.  All browsers can display PDF files however,  so another option is to display the file in a browser and use web clipper to save individual pages.  Or use screenshots when the PDF is open in a reader or online.

Bear in mind that images are an inefficient way to store documents - an image occupies something like double the space of a searchable PDF page.  And the text recognition is 'different' - searching for "house" might also get you hits for 'horse', 'hearse' and 'homes' because image recognition is less precise than OCR (Optical Character Recognition) when it comes to content.  Also JPG and PNG files can only store one page at a time - so lots of files for big documents;  PDF files can store multiple pages.

Archived