Why is evernote so slow now?

• Level 5*

Hi.   I have no suggestions as to OS - if what you have works for you,  then stick with it!  If you have recently updated your Evernote version it could be that it is still updating files and rebuilding the search index.  I'd suggest you give it 24 hours and if the issue persists contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hrc2000 said:

I clicked on it. How do you tell if it's doing it or working? It just had a button that says "got it" after you click the reindex. 

So to followup, I ran it on my Mac and got58a5e96c006a2_ScreenShot2017-02-16at10_00_57AM.png.efa90e4e9c57e51ea5646c6e4839496e.png

I'm just going to give it some time to run.  No idea how long it will takes

• Level 5*

Well,  slow is not normal.  But slow can be down to lots of different things.  Disk problems,  including available space;  memory;  slow internet connection;  other applications taking up processor cycles or bandwidth;  corrupted notes;  bad app installations...  the list goes on.

It probably can be fixed,  but there are a lot of sensible general things you can do for yourself - web search for details,  including the type of device with which you're having issues.  That's also information that would help us offer some more suggestions - other than to uninstall and reinstall the app.  You may have tried that and many other small fixes - again its helpful to know what you've tried already so we can avoid wasting your time suggesting it again.

Any desktop should be able to rebuild the search index (that's on the Ctrl / Cmd click Help extended menu) which also may help.

Everything else on computer runs fast. I have a SSD which is super fast. Evernote is slow as can be. Internet speed is super fast. Applications take 1 second to open. Computer starts in 13 seconds rocket time. Application was reinstalled and still same problem. 

• Level 5*

Forgot to say:  you should also contact support directly if you're a paying subscriber at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

Did you try rebuilding the search index?  Although with a complete reinstall,  that should have been done already...

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

I clicked the button but how do you know when it's done rebuilding? There is no notification? I am not premium and don't use twitter. So what other option is there to contact them> 

My guess is that indexing has been completed by now.  Are you seeing any improved performance in searches

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

Search is not working at all and still sluggish. 

The standard troubleshooting tip is delete the app and database; reinstall the app and let the database be rebuilt from the servers

Warning: the rebuild doesn't include unsynced notes or Local Notebooks

The app AppCleaner does a good job of deleting Evernote from your device

Also reboot your Mac afterwards

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

Do you mean delete the app from mac and reinstall evernote? I did that before. Unless you are mentioning another step with database? 

Yes, the other step includes a delete and rebuild of the database

It gives you a clean start

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

Can you explain that step in detail again please?

Download AppCleaner from the App Store

Run It and select Evernote from the application list; select Remove all files

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

So this will delete the database? Will I lose all of my files and everything though? 

The master version of your data is on the Evernote Servers and your database will be rebuilt
- except for unsynced notes and Local Notebooks

You will lose your settings, and will have to redo them

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

How do you download a backup before you do it? 

To locate your databaseUntitled.jpeg.01633467b328f05810c3aacb172eae61.jpeg
Click on Evernote > About Evernote and hold down the option key

This gives you the database folder (nnnnnnn) which you can copy or move elsewhere

You can also select all your notes (Edit > Select All)
and then File > Export Notes

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, hrc2000 said:

ok there is one folder that says props and another with a number. Is that all just 2 folders? 

Ok i exported 4588 notes into an enex file. 

Is that it?

ok

I don't know the purpose of the props folder ( I also have one)
but no harm in backing it up

edit: The props folder contains a plist file that lists information like mapping the userid to the nnnnnn database

• 11 months later...
On 18.02.2017 at 06:10, hrc2000 said:

Ok I reinstalled and now i just see the spinner going i assume it's rebuilding from the internet? Or is there anything else I need to do? 

Hi! Did you decide the problem? I have the same 

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2017 at 6:29 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.   I have no suggestions as to OS - if what you have works for you,  then stick with it!  If you have recently updated your Evernote version it could be that it is still updating files and rebuilding the search index.  I'd suggest you give it 24 hours and if the issue persists contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

Evernote Support has stopped replying to me altogether! I have sent three requests and no joy. 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:51 PM, hrc2000 said:

Everything else on computer runs fast. I have a SSD which is super fast. Evernote is slow as can be. Internet speed is super fast. Applications take 1 second to open. Computer starts in 13 seconds rocket time. Application was reinstalled and still same problem. 

Same here. It sits for up to a minute trying to open a note. Or it tells you that it has timed out. And Evernote Support has stopped replying completely 

• Level 5

@Marita Palazzo I've reviewed the support tickets you opened. It appears our support agents responded to each of your requests, but we never received a reply back from you. I fear that there may be an email issue at hand. I'll follow-up with your directly via DM and hopefully we can work to address the issue. Thank you for your patience!

Archived