(Archived) Android test/beta release for note viewing issue

engberg

If you are having problems viewing notes on your Android device that were created on other platforms (e.g. Evernote for Mac or Windows), then please download and install this beta test version:

http://s.evernote.com/androidbeta

This should fix the compatibility issue, and a few other related problems with large notes, large images, and memory usage.

This is still a beta test release version, and has a few known issues that we're still working to fix for a "full" release:

[*:i2t6rb2m]Editing a note on Android may insert extra blank lines
    [*:i2t6rb2m]If you search for a note and match words in an image, the words won't be highlighted within the image when you see the note.
    [*:i2t6rb2m]Note decryption doesn't work.
    [*:i2t6rb2m]If you "Share" to the Evernote application from another Android application, it may fail in some cases.

We're working to clear up the rest of these issues as fast as possible.

Thanks

Thank you! I just tested the beta and I can indeed open notes created on my Mac. This is a big relief, since using the web version of Evernote on a small-screen Android phone is not much fun. I can live with the other issues until you get the release finished.

I installed the beta and I am now able to open notes. Also, I noticed I can now check off to-do items, as well, which is awesome.

One issue with to-do items, though. When I open a to-do list in the Android client, all of the items are checked. Even if I uncheck them and leave the note then go back in, all of the check boxes are still checked.

Just tried this beta and the issue with taking photo notes on my Desire 2.1 has gone. This only occurred with the previous beta... so THANK YOU!!! :-D

P.S. I never experienced the viewing problem... just the weird photo note thing I reported on the last beta thread...

Another issue (I'm just reporting these, not sure if you guys are aware or not).

On my Droid, I press the Snapshot button, it goes into the camera and I am able to take a picture. When the picture is taken, I get the Cancel, Retake, Done buttons on the right hand side. When I press the Done button, it tries to go into the note creation screen (I think), then pops back to the Evernote home screen and errors with "No snapshot found to upload". If I take the picture with the camera, then click Share and share it to Evernote, it works fine.

billarkin -

What version of the client do you see on the "About Evernote" screen?

I just tried this on my Verizon Droid Milestone (the Motorola phone with the sliding keyboard), and it worked ok. Is that the device you have?

Thanks

FYI Devs....

84430 seems to be the latest build although it wasn't announced. Available from the link at the top of this thread (was originally 84235)...

Snapshot works as with the previous build but I have just noticed something relating to the HTC Desire resolution issue.

When the camera is open and you go to the resolution menu, you get the option to only choose 640x384 as before, however I tried something I didn't spot previously and that is I deselected the wide-screen option. This then alters the resolution to 640x480, but only that again.

At least the resolution is a bit better but Evernote is still not reading the cameras capabilities properly.

The supported resolutions should be

Wide-Screen

640x384

1280x768

2048x1216

2592x1552

Normal

640x480

1280x960

2048x1536

2592x1952

Hope this helps

The Released version that is in the Android Marketplace crashes when I try to enter a simple note, and I can't download the beta. My phone says "Cannot finish the download. There is not enough space", even though there is plenty of space on the phone.

I have an Incredible.

This thing sucks. The Evernote app, that is. The phone is great.

If you don't have enough storage space on your device to install our application, you may want to delete some stuff that you're not using.

The Released version that is in the Android Marketplace crashes when I try to enter a simple note, and I can't download the beta. My phone says "Cannot finish the download. There is not enough space", even though there is plenty of space on the phone.

I have an Incredible.

This thing sucks. The Evernote app, that is. The phone is great.

I don't have that message on my Incredible, it installed just fine. The incredible has a 8 gig space for media, but its separate from the 512 (or so) megs reserved for apps. Its possible Evernote is trying to download to the app area, but you think there's enough space because the media space still has room...

Just guessing.

I am unable to edit notes created on my Mac from my Droid Incredible. The error message I receive:

java.lang.RuntimeException: entity replacement text must be defined after setInput!

Android, 1.4 (84616)

Thanks

I'm getting the same exact error, just updated to the latest version on the Android Market. Using HTC Incredible Android OS 2.1.

I think they just yanked Evernote from the Market...

Edit; Never mind, its there now. Either the blog saying it was on the market came before it was actually posted, or they took it off temporarily.

This problem is fixed in the current version on the Market.

Version 1.4 (84727) fixes this issue. You can check your version from the application via the About menu item.

If you have an older version (e.g. 84616), then please uninstall the application and reinstall the latest from the App Store.

Thanks for the reports

I've just upgraded to the latest version and I like the new search bar functionality. Also glad to hear offline notes is in the pipeline - and you're recruiting an android developer which gives me great confidence for the future!

I still have the same issue as cook_a mentions above: for snapshots, I can only get low resolution at 640x480.

I'm also using a HTC desire. Is this issue possible to resolve?

I want to snap lots of text & newspaper articles, however not being able to use higher resolution is frustrating.

Thanks for any advice on this.

If you have a text-only note (i.e. no boldface, bullets, etc.) that you can't edit on the Android, it would be helpful if you could Export that note from one of the desktop clients so we could take a look at it. You can open a support inquiry at the bottom of:

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/

When you receive the auto-reply email from the case, you can reply to that and attach the Export file (*.enex) so we can inspect the note.

Please also say what other client you used to edit the note, and what version of that client. (For example, if you're using Evernote for Windows, then say what version of the client from the "About" screen.)

Thanks

Archived