Access Reminders function via shortcut key or keystrokes

tavor

Idea

• Level 5*

As far as I know, the only way to access the Reminders function (i.e., accessing the Reminders menu to add a reminder, or a reminder date, or clear a reminder) in the Windows app is via mouse. Providing a method to access this function via a shortkey (similar to F3 to access the tags field) would allow for much quicker note entry or reminder date editing. At the very least, an ability to access Reminders via keystrokes would be a big improvement even without a designated shortcut as users could use hotkey apps to create their own shortcut.

Keyboard access to Reminders is especially useful for those who use EN not just as an information filing cabinet, but also as a task manager (GTD / TSW and derivatives) (thereby eliminating the need for a second app to provide task mgmt).

• Like 2

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

On my Mac, I'm able to use a script to access the Reminder function 
This is triggered by a keyboard shortcut

I assume your script is using keystrokes in the Mac EN app and not using some kind of mouse macro (which adds a lot of complexity).

In the Windows app, I don't think there is any way to access Reminders using the keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

While I'm waiting for EN to provide keystroke access to Reminders, I grabbed a Snickers bar and wrote a hotkey script to do it in case anyone stumbles onto this thread with the same request (please upvote the request at the top of this thread - native functionality is preferable to an external script).

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, ReganHouse37 said:

I don't understand how this has not been upvoted at least a hundred times?

Um, maybe because it's not something that a lot of people want? I've upvoted, since I think it would be useful, but it's not really critical for me. I would suggest that if Evernote are looking at implementing this, that a set of operations would be useful:

• Add new reminder note -- sometimes I just need an undated reminder
  • Make reminder -- make a note a simple, dateless reminder
  • Add / modify reminder date (first makes a note a reminder note if it isn't already)
  • Clear reminder
  • Clear reminder date
  • Mark as done

I wouldn't expect that all of these get their own dedicated hotkeys, But I'd probably want them for Add new reminder note, Add / modify reminder date (for @tavor), Mark as done, and maybe Clear reminder

On 10/24/2018 at 4:09 PM, jefito said:

Um, maybe because it's not something that a lot of people want? I've upvoted, since I think it would be useful, but it's not really critical for me. I would suggest that if Evernote are looking at implementing this, that a set of operations would be useful:

• Add new reminder note -- sometimes I just need an undated reminder
  • Make reminder -- make a note a simple, dateless reminder
  • Add / modify reminder date (first makes a note a reminder note if it isn't already)
  • Clear reminder
  • Clear reminder date
  • Mark as done

I wouldn't expect that all of these get their own dedicated hotkeys, But I'd probably want them for Add new reminder note, Add / modify reminder date (for @tavor), Mark as done, and maybe Clear reminder

some good ideas! and yeah, I feel like the majority of people don't hotkey that heavily. I love putting people on. I changed my friend's complete work flow via a few mac hotkeys.  Hotkey life!