Finding a whole word

TdeV

I'm searching in Evernote because I surely have something there, and that's where I want to start.

I tried searching also on egullet.org (so I could also check for "sous vide") and discovered lots of notes from people watching American football.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Today is Valentine's and I have a Cornish Game Hen.
I just tried a search for hen (and "hen") but I keep ending up with notes containing "then".

How about search for the combination of two words    Cornish Hen
That should eliminate some of the false hits

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Today is Valentine's and I have a Cornish Game Hen.

I just tried a search for hen (and "hen") but I keep ending up with notes containing "then".

I've googled a bit, but unsuccessfully.

Help? ;)

Hmm.  A hen search isn't supposed to return anything that starts with then I don't think, EN only searches the start of a word.  You might want to refresh your sort context to all notes and try again.  And maybe try bake or roast or oven as well.

But if you like Garlic there's always http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8938/cornish-game-hens-with-garlic-and-rosemary/

:)

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, csihilling said:

A hen search isn't supposed to return anything that starts with then I don't think, EN only searches the start of a word

Yes. A search for 'fee' does not match 'coffee', for example (though it would match 'feed').

Exception: if the note comes from an image, then 'hen' might very well be matched with 'then', if the OCR picked it up as a possibility.

hen finds notes with words starting with h-e-n

"hen" finds notes containing the word hen

What threw me was that the display of the note showed the letters "hen" highlighted throughout the text on the note displayed on the right of my screen* (including words which start with the letters h-e-n) but that the actual search was "Viewing 50 notes in All Notebooks matching ALL of the following: contains the words HEN"

* I use Note List which shows the notes on the left and the contents of the selected note on the right.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, TdeV said:

hen finds notes with words starting with h-e-n

"hen" finds notes containing the word hen

What threw me was that the display of the note showed the letters "hen" highlighted throughout the text on the note displayed on the right of my screen* (including words which start with the letters h-e-n) but that the actual search was "Viewing 50 notes in All Notebooks matching ALL of the following: contains the words HEN"

* I use Note List which shows the notes on the left and the contents of the selected note on the right.

It is a bit confusing in that that all the notes will contain at least one word that starts with h-e-n but within the note display h-e-n will be highlighted whether h-e-n is at that beginning of the word or not.  So the h-e-n in t-h-e-n or w-h-e-n will be highlighted.  But there is a h-e-n in the note.

ScreenClip.png.c0f16c3761dddef3109082a86080fd51.png

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Exactly, @csihilling!!!

Yeah, thing to remember is that the group of notes contains your search word.  So if Cornish Hen isn't in the list after you type Hen,

1. Either your context isn't right (the notebook or stack you are searching)
  2. Hen is missing from the note
  3. The note isn't there.  

Last gasp is to go to all notes context and search for Hen.

Now if the note was a screen clip, there is a chance the screen clip did not get OCRd in which case the note would not get found unless Hen is in the title of the note.  Was the recipe a screen clip?  

Archived