New note without inheriting context?

• Level 5*

If I have any filter applied to the notes, e.g., selecting a notebook or tag, and then press CTRL+N (or click the New Note icon), the new note inherits the context (e.g., it will inherit the selected notebook or tag).

This is useful, but sometimes I want a new note without any inheritance of context. I can achieve this by pressing F6 prior to CTRL+N.

Is there a shortcut that achieves the same result in one step? I can create a hotkey with a 3rd party app, but if it can be done natively, that's preferable.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, tavor said:

This is useful, but sometimes I want a new note without any inheritance of context. I can achieve this by pressing F6 prior to CTRL+N.

Is there a shortcut that achieves the same result in one step?

What about using the EN global hotkey for a new note?  I haven't tried this -- it's just a guess.

• Level 5*

For the tags thing: Tools / Options / Note / [] Assign selected tags to notes

For the notebook thing: An Evernote note always belongs to a notebook, so one's assigned when you create  a new note. The assumption is that if you are working in a specific notebook at the time you're making a new note, then that's the notebook that you want it to reside in. I don't know of any way to override this behavior. If you're in "All Notebooks", then the notebook used is your default notebook (right-click on a notebook / Properties / Make this my default notebook)

• Level 5*

I thought about this once but I have the All Notes and New Note icons so close together on the menu that I just click - click.  IACm per @gazumped a PhraseExpress hot key could look like this.  Then Ctrl-/ would open a new note within default notebook.

ScreenClip.png.e373ccf292077a350a8b0fc2ba783895.png

• Level 5*

I'm reluctant to use a 3rd party app. I used to use AutoHotKey, but it's more overhead, and it was easy to forget about it when upgrading computers (I upgraded computers and my old AHK file/shortcuts were lost).

That said, if there are enough functions that I am using frequently that cannot be accessed via app-native shortcuts, I may bite the bullet. I think I'll start a note containing functions that aren't available via a simple hotkey. Once the list gets long enough, I'll be motivated to install an app for this.

Do you guys find PhraseExpress superior to AutoHotKey for hotkeys? AHK can do a lot of automation, but may be overkill for just shortcuts.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, tavor said:

I'm reluctant to use a 3rd party app. I used to use AutoHotKey, but it's more overhead, and it was easy to forget about it when upgrading computers (I upgraded computers and my old AHK file/shortcuts were lost).

That said, if there are enough functions that I am using frequently that cannot be accessed via app-native shortcuts, I may bite the bullet. I think I'll start a note containing functions that aren't available via a simple hotkey. Once the list gets long enough, I'll be motivated to install an app for this.

Do you guys find PhraseExpress superior to AutoHotKey for hotkeys? AHK can do a lot of automation, but may be overkill for just shortcuts.

I've only tried PE so can't provide a comparison.  I find PE invaluable for repetitive tasks, time stamps for completed and paid items. cleaning up emails I send to EN, and the like..

Relative to losing shortcuts, I placed my PE phrase file in a Dropbox folder on my PC.  Now I get a backup (which is great since I have torched a few phrases whilst editing) and I can access the same phrases on my backup laptop utilizing the DB sync so to speak.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Can the Reminders function (i.e., accessing the Reminders menu to add a reminder, or a reminder date, or clear a reminder) be accessed natively (within EN) via keystrokes? 

If so, that would be a powerful motivator for me to get a 3rd party hotkey app. I hate having to click that small alarm clock icon.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tavor said:

Can the Reminders function (i.e., accessing the Reminders menu to add a reminder, or a reminder date, or clear a reminder) be accessed natively (within EN) via keystrokes? 

If so, that would be a powerful motivator for me to get a 3rd party hotkey app. I hate having to click that small alarm clock icon.

Not to my knowledge.

Archived