Evernote Bug Runs Slow On Mac

I have mac os and have experienced really slow usage. I can't even use the search feature. When I go to copy notes the wheel comes up and I just sit there. None of my other programs on my computer act like this slow. I have a very fast solid state drive and plenty of ram and fast quad core i7 processor. Can someone please help me understand what is going on or what to do so I can search notes again and not have it run ultra slow? thanks! 

I have a very similar issue, in which EN is really slow on my Mac, throwing off the spinning wheel multiple times during usage. Most times when changing notebooks and searching. Of course EN will say our Macs are the issue, no matter what computer we have. 

Just now, martinewski said:

I have a very similar issue, in which EN is really slow on my Mac, throwing off the spinning wheel multiple times during usage. Most times when changing notebooks and searching. Of course EN will say our Macs are the issue, no matter what computer we have. 

They are wrong because every other program on my mac runs supuer fast. My computer starts in 13 seconds and I have an SSD where programs open in 1 second. 

• Level 5*

Funny,  I just made a very similar post to this in another thread too...

Slow is not normal.  But slow can be down to lots of different things.  Disk problems,  including available space;  memory;  slow internet connection;  other applications taking up processor cycles or bandwidth;  corrupted notes;  bad app installations...  the list goes on.  

It probably can be fixed,  but there are a lot of sensible general things you can do for yourself - web search for details,  including the type of device with which you're having issues.  That's also information that would help us offer some more suggestions - other than to uninstall and reinstall the app.  You may have tried that and many other small fixes - again its helpful to know what you've tried already so we can avoid wasting your time suggesting it again.

Any desktop should be able to rebuild the search index (that's on the Ctrl / Cmd click Help extended menu) which also may help.  Desktops and others may be running related Evernote services like IFTTT,  Context and type-ahead searching any or all of which could be slowing things down.

I suggest you contact support directly if you're a paying subscriber at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• 10 months later...

I've encountered a similar problem with my Mac right after I started using Evernote. My first thought was that Evernote caused the problem, but then I noticed that the system slowed down in general while I was using other apps like Skype or Safari.

The reason might be that your system is overloaded with various apps and files. Also, most recent app updates require more RAM so old macs can slow down throughout couple of years. There are few things you can do: 

1) Identify unused files and apps and clean your system yourself. There are some helpful instructions online, they'll help you save some time. 

2) To save even more time, you can use one of cleaning tools that do major part of work for you. I used to clean up my mac with Cleanmymac and was pretty satisfied with results. Cleaning all the system junk by myself would take a couple of hours. There are alternative Mac cleaners - Dr Cleaner, Mackeeper, Macclean app, so you can choose the one you like best. 

3) If that doesn't help, take your mac to some hardware service center and check your hardware health. If your mac is over 2 years old, chances are, you need to replace some of it. 

Hope it helps!

Archived