Sticky Notes and Instantly Editable Notes

LorenzoPearson

Idea

First, I don't understand why one can sort notes, but not make one "sticky" or "pinned" at the top of MY (with emphasis) list?  I would think that pinning a note would be one of the highest priorities for most people.

Second, I also don't understand why in the web application that when I click on a note it is instantly editable, meaning I don't have to click on an edit button, and in the Android app I do have to click on the "Edit" button?  It is extremely annoying for me, because I keep clicking on a note, it pops up, and then I'm already typing before I remember that I have to click on the dang "Edit" button.  Most of the notes I take are in a hurry, so I just want to enter the text quickly and move on.

Best regards,

Loren

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  "Sticky" notes have never been a priority for me.  I can assign various levels of priority to notes in the title - date / urgency / importance etc;  and whichever I choose is searchable or sortable as necessary.

And when you use the web application in a browser,  you're probably sitting behind a manual keyboard which isn't (as) subject to 'pocket dialling' as a phone or tablet screen. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, LorenzoPearson said:

First, I don't understand why one can sort notes, but not make one "sticky" or "pinned" at the top of MY (with emphasis) list?  I would think that pinning a note would be one of the highest priorities for most people.

For me, my general view is Date (update) Sequence. The notes I'm working on are at the top of the list

For specific work, for example project reviews, I switch to Title Sequence.  I control note order by prefixing a special character to the title.  For example -Title puts the project mater note at the top of the list

>>in the Android app I do have to click on the "Edit" button?

Some of us have been asking for such a feature to prevent accidental note edits 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, LorenzoPearson said:

I don't need to put any pinned notes permanently at the top because I can find them just as quickly using a search. (and I have over 40,000 notes)

I do put some notes toward the top - my appointments, driver license expiration, annual property tax, etc.  I always have my notes sorted by the Created Date, so it is easy to push a note to the top by editing the Created Date to reflect my personal reality (when something is due). 

• Level 5
On 2/11/2017 at 9:43 AM, LorenzoPearson said:

Second, I also don't understand why in the web application that when I click on a note it is instantly editable, meaning I don't have to click on an edit button, and in the Android app I do have to click on the "Edit" button?  It is extremely annoying for me, because I keep clicking on a note, it pops up, and then I'm already typing before I remember that I have to click on the dang "Edit" button.  Most of the notes I take are in a hurry, so I just want to enter the text quickly and move on.

Best regards,

Loren

Welcome to the forums! The idea of a note that can be pinned to the top, without needing to have its title or date manipulated in some way, is quite appealing.

I do understand, though, why it's possible to view a note on the phone without immediately editing it, since it would be so easy to make accidental edits. I fairly often just want to look at a note, not change it. Obviously, it does clog up the editing process, though.

• Level 5*
On 2/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, jbenson2 said:

A reminder: Reminders do not work in the Side View.

On Android?

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The idea of a note that can be pinned to the top, without needing to have its title or date manipulated in some way, is quite appealing.

I use Reminders for this. It makes a separate list at the head of your note list, and is separately sortable (though not a flexibly so as the normal note list). Simple, and works pretty well for me.

On 2/11/2017 at 9:43 AM, LorenzoPearson said:

Most of the notes I take are in a hurry, so I just want to enter the text quickly and move on.

If you want to take a quick note in Android, there's options for that. I have an entry in my notifications that allows a quick text note to be started from anywhere; the Evernote app has that floating '+' that allows you to start a note easily, too. I get caught on the 'Edit' thing occasionally, but I just don't edit that many notes on my Android devices, so it's not a real dealbreaker for me; it'd be different if I had to do that on the Windows client.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, jefito said:
4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The idea of a note that can be pinned to the top, without needing to have its title or date manipulated in some way, is quite appealing.

I use Reminders for this. It makes a separate list at the head of your note list, and is separately sortable (though not a flexibly so as the normal note list). Simple, and works pretty well for me.

Well, but then you have a reminder. :) I'd rather have a function that does nothing but pin a note, without creating a reminder. In fact, I wish I could turn off the pinning of notes with reminders to the top of the list. I have a fair number of them, and it's tedious to scroll through them looking for the most recently used note I'm actually after. I am learning to do searches to accomplish this, but I'd rather have it just be sitting there, unencumbered by reminders. All a matter of personal preference.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Well, but then you have a reminder. :) I'd rather have a function that does nothing but pin a note, without creating a reminder.

We can only work with the tools we have, not the ones we want. Information about reminders is for those who may be new to Evernote, not an argument that pinning not be implemented. BTW, one thing that's nice about reminders is that they can be arbitrarily ordered by dragging them up or down in the list, just like pinning. And the reminder list can be collapsed if you don't want to see them.

One thing that's not nice about the Android implementation, though, is that filtering your note list (on a tag, say) doesn't include the reminders list that goes along with them, as it does on the Windows client. That's handy for filtering down that long list of reminders.

• Level 5
On 2/13/2017 at 9:12 PM, jefito said:

BTW, one thing that's nice about reminders is that they can be arbitrarily ordered by dragging them up or down in the list, just like pinning. And the reminder list can be collapsed if you don't want to see them.

Well I'll be darned. I had no idea about either of these. That's very helpful. And the reminders stay collapsed when you revisit Evernote. Thanks, Jeff!

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-13 at 6:12 PM, jefito said:

BTW, one thing that's nice about reminders is that they can be arbitrarily ordered by dragging them up or down in the list, just like pinning. And the reminder list can be collapsed if you don't want to see them.

My reminder section is cluttered with ... reminders (actually tasks with due dates)
I use shortcuts section which has the same feature

Archived