Evernote for Windows 6.5 Beta 2 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.5 Beta 2 - you can download it here. We're excited to announce two new features.

• Shared view: can now quickly browse all notes you've received via Work Chat from the "Shared" section in the left panel.589d4a00972ff_SharedSection.png.0326cae9cbc6ce23c6983200461d705a.png

• On demand sync: an option if you want note content to be downloaded only when you see the note in the note list. This is ideal for users with many thousands of notes who want to save some disk space. You can enable this by checking the "Enable on demand sync" option under Tools>Options>Synchronization. If you do not check this option, Evernote will download all the notes content in advance. 589d4d2bcc5b0_Enableondemandsync.PNG.d329587bb082f8d9a5af380a54e31bdb.PNG

In addition we've fixed many bugs between Beta 1 & Beta 2. We continue to work on stability and fixed 4 crashes and addressed a few localization issues. Let us know what you think about the above capabilities and if you spot any issues. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows team! 

Evernote for Windows 6.5 Beta Notes

New:

• Easily browse notes and notebooks you've received via Work Chat from the "Shared" section in the left panel.
  • Choose to only download recently and frequently used notes using on demand sync by checking the "Enable on demand sync" option under Tools>Options>Synchronization.

Improved:

• Improved handling of large resources on 32-bit systems.

Fixed:

• An intermittent error syncing when connecting to a business account for the first time.
  • Issues with the printing of notes with tables.
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad on the incorrect term. What I have is not release or prerelease. Nonetheless Evernote is working hard on some real improvements and I applaud them. I know there are plenty of complainers about support; for me they are helpful and more so if you are respectful and understanding!  Evernote is my workflow and as an independent consultant my workflow is my livelihood. 

• Level 5*

Idea for On Demand Sync and cloud only notes.

Having 0 bytes shown is misleading. I would personally prefer to know how big a note is regardless of whether or not it is downloaded. It may impact my desire to open it and sometimes even let me know if it is the right note to open. For example, I know a 400kb note is not the right note if I am looking for an image attachment, but if they all say 0bytes, then that isn't helping.

Instead, can you make use of the sync column? right now it is

1. blank - sync'd and no changes pending
  2. dot - changes locally that need to be sync'd up.

Add a 3rd. A cloud or something showing the note only exists in the cloud right now. And maybe get rid of the dot in point 2 and show a cloud with sync arrows in it. Or a white cloud for cloud only, green cloud for sync pending, or something. (Please do not select two shades of gray for the clouds though...) 

Since this last update I am finding that when a sync is running I am not able to do anything until the Sync is finished, if I try to do anything then Evernote locks up with "not responding" sometimes for several minutes. Once the sync is finished everything is fine. I am not using on demand sync. I have almost 12,000 notes and am using Evernote Business.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, ianfm said:

Since this last update I am finding that when a sync is running I am not able to do anything until the Sync is finished, if I try to do anything then Evernote locks up with "not responding" sometimes for several minutes. Once the sync is finished everything is fine. I am not using on demand sync. I have almost 12,000 notes and am using Evernote Business.

Me since 2012. 

Demand sync seems to have fixed for me. 

• Level 5*
On 2/25/2017 at 2:28 PM, kvitekp said:

They belong to different sections, one specifies max number notes in the search results preview in the Quick Search window and the other one in the Assisted Search view.

Got it; thanks. I'd suggest adding "Quick Search" and "Assisted Search" to the respective prompts just to be a little clearer.

• Level 5*

There is a big in the note editor when pasting characters from the Character Map in Windows. I want to use the arrows (which are way at the bottom as U+2190 through U+2199.

Evernote INSISTS on putting these in different rows. Apps like Word and OneNote though treat them as normal characters.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, EdH said:

Me since 2012. 

Demand sync seems to have fixed for me

There is actually something else you may want to try if your database grows again: registry setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/LargeResourceThreshold specifies the size of resources in megabytes that will be stored outside of the main database. This setting is normally set to 0 unless Evernote is running on a 32-bit system with low memory, however, you can set it manually if you want to keep your main database file small.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kvitekp said:

There is actually something else you may want to try if your database grows again: registry setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/LargeResourceThreshold specifies the size of resources in megabytes that will be stored outside of the main database. This setting is normally set to 0 unless Evernote is running on a 32-bit system with low memory, however, you can set it manually if you want to keep your main database file small.

I don't understand what the setting does. I have gobs and gobs of RAM and hard drive space. What should I set it at?

• Level 5*

We need a VISUAL indicator that the search isn't complete if someone has the on demand sync option.

I typed in a relatively simple query:

tag:powerquery try

and instantly got back one result, and that was it, which I knew was wrong. After a few seconds (and probably a few seconds too quickly) tried a few other searches and gave up, finding what I needed on my phone.

I then tried again on my PC and sure enough, when I left it alone, all the hits eventually came down. So it was obviously searching the cloud through the remainder of my notes, which is fine, but there was no visual indication this was happening. I can see this taking longer for slow connections, or much larger data sets than mine.

Needs something, like dots zooming across the screen, a moving magnifying glass, a hula dancer telling me about low mortgage rates, etc.

• Level 5*

Can we get this client to stop resizing images I have annotated?

1. Clip screenshot
  2. resize by dragging handle in lower right corner.
  3. annotate image
  4. image back to 100%
  5. drag back to preferred size
  6. 2 days later, annotate some more
  7. image back to 100%
  8. scream
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, EdH said:

Needs something, like dots zooming across the screen, a moving magnifying glass, a hula dancer telling me about low mortgage rates, etc.

Hopefully optional, particularly the mortgage rates.  ;)

I thought I would do a test, me not using demand sync.  I did a search for tag:statement try and got 233 results right after I finished typing try (I have the 50 ms lag set for search delay).  I have 3777 notes with the tag statement virtually all of them PDFs.  Of those 519 are > 1MB in size.  

I know I haven't been beleaguered by the performance issues that you have, Ed so may not be a good comparison.  But still, if demand sync adds lag to searches it would be a good thing to know.  Could be something to put on the minus side of the ledger with how to backup.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, EdH said:

I don't understand what the setting does. I have gobs and gobs of RAM and hard drive space. What should I set it at?

If you set  HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/LargeResourceThreshold to 1, all resources larger than 1MB will be stored in a subfolder named <your_database_name>.exb.attachments. Your main database file will become smaller and it will take less time to vacuum it. This should prevent those unresponsive application states.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

If you set  HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/LargeResourceThreshold to 1, all resources larger than 1MB will be stored in a subfolder named <your_database_name>.exb.attachments. Your main database file will become smaller and it will take less time to vacuum it. This should prevent those unresponsive application states.

Ahhh.... that is kind of how the Mac does it, except it puts note text as a separate file too.

I might try that.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Hopefully optional

It would only be necessary with on demand sync. With my full database sync'd locally, 1 of 4 things happened for me:

1. nearly Instant results
  2. The UI would lock up and become unresponsive until it found whatever it was looking for, so you knew it wasn't done
  3. The UI would lock up and become unresponsive until it found whatever it was looking for, so you knew it wasn't done
  4. The UI would lock up and become unresponsive until it found whatever it was looking for, so you knew it wasn't done

On 28/02/2017 at 7:25 AM, ianfm said:

22 hours ago, EdH said:

Me since 2012. 

Demand sync seems to have fixed for me. 

18 hours ago, kvitekp said:

On demand sync is not an option for me, I need my notes offline because I often have to work where there is no access to the internet. Have no idea what this registry setting is all about, are you saying that by adjusting this it will stop the lock ups?

I have done some more looking at this  "not responding" issue. When I updated to this latest version I also did some tidying up of tags and notebooks, I have added some styles to various tags and notebooks. Now whenever Evernote syncs the not responding state always comes when the activity log shows:

[11680] 0% Updating 129 local item styles

I have tried several syncs and watched the activity log and every time consistently the lock up occurs at the same point that the activity log shows that message.

Should have to update the item styles every time it syncs when none of the styles have been changed since the last sync?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ianfm said:

Now whenever Evernote syncs the not responding state always comes when the activity log shows:

I have tried several syncs and watched the activity log and every time consistently the lock up occurs at the same point that the activity log shows that message.

Should have to update the item styles every time it syncs when none of the styles have been changed since the last sync?

I have noticed this behavior as well. The lockups seem to occur when the tag styles have (at any time in the past) been edited on another computer. Therefore I am very careful not to add/edit tag styles on any other computer than my main computer.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, ianfm said:

I have done some more looking at this  "not responding" issue. When I updated to this latest version I also did some tidying up of tags and notebooks, I have added some styles to various tags and notebooks. Now whenever Evernote syncs the not responding state always comes when the activity log shows:

Thank you for reporting this! The problem is identified and fixed. Item styles synchronization should not cause database contention anymore.

17 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Thank you for reporting this! The problem is identified and fixed. Item styles synchronization should not cause database contention anymore.

Great job, thanks. Sync is much better now.

• Level 5*
On 2/28/2017 at 8:29 PM, kvitekp said:

This sounds like a great option. However, I have 2 questions.

1. If I delete a note that had a large attachment, is the corresponding .attachment file also deleted? There doesn't seem to be a way of distinguishing between "active" attachments and those that belong to deleted notes,

2. Is everyone aware of the need to back up the .attachment folder if backing up the database?

• Level 5
44 minutes ago, FactMan said:

1. If I delete a note that had a large attachment, is the corresponding .attachment file also deleted? There doesn't seem to be a way of distinguishing between "active" attachments and those that belong to deleted notes,

Deleted notes that are still in Trash will have their attachments stored in .attachments subfolder. The attachment file will only be deleted when the note is expunged.

45 minutes ago, FactMan said:

2. Is everyone aware of the need to back up the .attachment folder if backing up the database

I don't think so, however, Customer Support has all the details.

• Level 5*
On 02/03/2017 at 7:32 PM, scruziel said:

6.4 disabled my ability to print pictures on one page as I could before. Will 6.5 fix this?

Hi.  How were you printing on one page?  I haven't noticed any difference in the way that Evernote treats images.

• Level 5*

I am getting this dialog box rather frequently after I use the EN Chrome and/or GMail clipper.

The problem is it is too easy for this dialog box to vanish into the background, in which case EN becomes totally non-responsive. The only way to fix this is to ALT-TAB until this dialog box shows up. Two suggestions:

1. Make this dialog box modal. If it exists, it is front and center and no other Evernote window can be brought in front of it to hide it. It is semi-modal now. No other evernote window can be used but it can be brought forward to hide this giving the impression EN is locked up. Killing the evernote.exe will fix it, and I almost did this the other day being unable to figure out why EN was non-responsive.
  2. Better yet, have a check box in this that says "Don't ask this again." Just sync the note down. Only show me a dialog if it cannot sync it for some reason.

syncnow.png

I have been running the latest beta: 6.6.3.4452 (304452) Prerelease for a while now, and it is not any better.  I was excited because the release notes said they made some improvements for 32 bit systems, which sounded like they were attacking the issue, but I still get a fair amount of not responding, mainly due to disk I/O max out, but sometimes just not responding.  Seems similar to before; if I'm not in EN (BTW--I'm Windows 10 on Lenovo laptop) for a while, and jump in and edit something, then it works for a bit then suddenly locks up.  Also seems still sensitive to copy/paste and highight/delete.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, eafpres said:

I have been running the latest beta: 6.6.3.4452 (304452) Prerelease for a while now, and it is not any better.  I was excited because the release notes said they made some improvements for 32 bit systems, which sounded like they were attacking the issue, but I still get a fair amount of not responding, mainly due to disk I/O max out, but sometimes just not responding.  Seems similar to before; if I'm not in EN (BTW--I'm Windows 10 on Lenovo laptop) for a while, and jump in and edit something, then it works for a bit then suddenly locks up.  Also seems still sensitive to copy/paste and highight/delete.

Have you considered using the On Demand sync? It sync's all note headers, but only the body when you select it. My database went from over 8GB to under 1GB and it is infintely more responsive. Not a single lock up like you describe since doing this. I've been fighting this for 4-5 years!

You'll need to log off, delete your local DB copy, log in, set the setting and let it sync headers. 30min or less over regular internet connection since it won't sync note bodies.

I'm not sure if this problem is with this version specifically, but I've noticed now if I search by a specific tag, the search is then populated by a number of other tags using the ANY operator. This makes search impossible for me. Is there a way to prevent this happening and enable me to control the search better? 

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, kitezh said:

I'm not sure if this problem is with this version specifically, but I've noticed now if I search by a specific tag, the search is then populated by a number of other tags using the ANY operator. This makes search impossible for me. Is there a way to prevent this happening and enable me to control the search better? 

You have Tools / Options / Navigation / Tags Related Options / Automatically select child tags checked. When that's enabled, any time you use a tag that has subtags, the search turns into an ANY search with those subtags and any others you may have specified. 

For me, I'd rather it be a search language option that you could use with individual searches rather than a global setting that affects all searches, but I'm guessing that that's not likely to happen any time soon.

1 minute ago, jefito said:

You have Tools / Options / Navigation / Tags Related Options / Automatically select child tags checked. When that's enabled, any time you use a tag that has subtags, the search turns into an ANY search with those subtags and any others you may have specified. 

For me, I'd rather it be a search language option that you could use with individual searches rather than a global setting that affects all searches, but I'm guessing that that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Phew! You saved me. I was going crazy. I thought it would be in the Search options. Thanks Jeff.

• Level 5*

Two bugs / issues noted:

There's a mismatch between the tool tray icon menu item "Clip screenshot" and the corresponding entry in the Evernote shortcut keys dialog, which says "Capture screen". 

Not sure if this is addressed, but Win 10 installations should avoid setting the Clip screenshot shortcut key wi Win+PrtScr, which appears to be overriden by Windows for its own screen capture functionality.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, kitezh said:

Phew! You saved me. I was going crazy. I thought it would be in the Search options. Thanks Jeff.

No problem. I barked my shins on that a few times before I figured it out. It was mystifying : select one, tag, two tags, no problem, then click on one tag and all of a sudden there's a zillion tags in the mix. Wha?

22 hours ago, EdH said:

Have you considered using the On Demand sync? It sync's all note headers, but only the body when you select it. My database went from over 8GB to under 1GB and it is infintely more responsive. Not a single lock up like you describe since doing this. I've been fighting this for 4-5 years!

You'll need to log off, delete your local DB copy, log in, set the setting and let it sync headers. 30min or less over regular internet connection since it won't sync note bodies.

I had not absorbed that part of the update mentally, even though it was stated in the releae notes.  Thank you for pointing this out; I'm trying it and will report back.  I have done the log off, move dB, restart, log in sequence and as noted, the initial sync is fast.  So far no issues.  I do work offline occasionally, on airplanes, but otherwise 95% of my work is when connected.  Thus, I think my use case is optimal for this change.  However, I also use my mobile devices a lot, and a few of the issues noted above are a concern regarding keeping things in sync, but I'll have to wait and see.  Thank you again for pointing this out to me.

35 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Thus, I think my use case is optimal for this change.  However, I also use my mobile devices a lot, and a few of the issues noted above are a concern regarding keeping things in sync, but I'll have to wait and see.  

OK, found my first problem.  Search seems to ignore notebooks.  Search is returning items from all notebooks that match.  That is going to be a major headache. Update: this is not true:(It appears I can use tags to work around this. ) Need to go back and reread all of this to see if there is a solution regarding tag selection.

OK, I'm ready to go cry.  My saved searches return ridiculous results.  I have a lot of notes added by email to my default folder using external automation (IFTTT, Zapier, Google Alerts, automatic forward from gmail, etc.).  I then do a maintenance process on that folder every day, trashing stuff I don't want, reading or filing stuff I do want.  I use many saved searches for certain content types that I recieve.  Now, those searches seem to be returning notes from my entire set of saved notes.  Here is an eample search:

58c021835974c_20170308Evernoteissues1.jpg.1a86f83befffdeebcb496ed5d264d6b1.jpg

The problem is:  only 7 of these are actually in the notebook "aa-Work in Process":

58c021877184f_20170308Evernoteissues2.jpg.b0fce5f836b0bd114799b9cb6125c9c5.jpg

I tried assigning a tag to everything in my "aa-Work in Process" folder, and using that tag in the searches, and that works.  So, it appears the notebook:"aa-Work in Process" is the part that's not working, even though it shows in the results that it is used to filter.  I believe this is a real bug but feel free to tell me a good workaround and I'll put my bottle of gin back in the liquor cabinet...

FYI, I unchecked "Automatically select child tags" which had no effect on this issue.  The only tag item selected in the Options-->Navigation is "Close Tag Picker when selection is made"

• Level 5
1 hour ago, eafpres said:

OK, found my first problem.  Search seems to ignore notebooks.  Search is returning items from all notebooks that match.  That is going to be a major headache. Update: this is not true:(It appears I can use tags to work around this. ) Need to go back and reread all of this to see if there is a solution regarding tag selection.

Could not repro this here: server side search (which is used when the search scope includes any partially synced notes) appears to correctly filter search results according to the currently selected notebooks and tags. Would it be possible to provide more details on how to reproduce the problem?

1 hour ago, kvitekp said:

Could not repro this here: server side search (which is used when the search scope includes any partially synced notes) appears to correctly filter search results according to the currently selected notebooks and tags. Would it be possible to provide more details on how to reproduce the problem?

Well, the two screen captures were the repro.  But here it is:

1) Windows 10, running current (beta) 6.5.3.4452

2) Changed setting to use On-demand sync yesterday

3) Previosuly backed up dB from Databases (i.e., eafpres.exb was moved) after logout

4) Logged back in, cursory review looked OK

5) Today, went to my notebook "aa-Work in Process"

6) Ran an existing saved search: notebook:"aa-Work in Process" linkedin

7) There are 7 notes in that notebook that match the search

8) Search returns 1212 items from many different notebooks in my setup

9) Search shows the scope is notebook:"aa-Work in Process"

10) Manually entering same search gives same results

12) Tried tags and they work--i.e. if I tag notes in aa-Work in Process, then use that tag as part of the search, it is limiting to notes with those tags

• Level 5

@eafpres The problem is identified and fixed. Thank you for reporting! Please let me know if you'd like to get an updated pre-release build to verify the fix.

Problem description: if a Saved Search that filters notes by a notebook is executed against a search scope that includes any partially synced notes, the notebook filter is ignored and notes from other notebooks are added to the search results set. This only affects Saved Searches, explicit notebook selection works as expected.

8 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

This only affects Saved Searches, explicit notebook selection works as expected.

Please note this is not the case for me:

Performing the search, initially I get something like the correct result:

58c0677129671_20170308Evernoteissues4.thumb.jpg.032c2e8d85b4d0481ec481986b7a99ef.jpg

19 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Please note this is not the case for me:

Performing the search, initially I get something like the correct result:

This is similar to my report earlier in this thread and to customer service, except mine doesn't not include a notebook. I get what looks like the correct results and then a couple of seconds later a bunch of non-relevant items populate the results page.

EvernoteSearchFilmOfTheDay.jpg

19 hours ago, jefito said:

Two bugs / issues noted:

There's a mismatch between the tool tray icon menu item "Clip screenshot" and the corresponding entry in the Evernote shortcut keys dialog, which says "Capture screen". 

Not sure if this is addressed, but Win 10 installations should avoid setting the Clip screenshot shortcut key wi Win+PrtScr, which appears to be overriden by Windows for its own screen capture functionality.

That default has changed. It is now Win+Shift+S

• Level 5*

Here is the compare between web & windows, after a sync:

Any idea what the right number is?  

I've had issues with iPad and iPhone not matching other platforms in search results, but web and windows have always matched, though not with on demand sync engaged.

26 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Any idea what the right number is?  

The right number is something around 9, depending on when I did the compare.  

I have not tried on my iPad and iPhone; first I want to get the main platform I use to work...

2 hours ago, eafpres said:

@kveitkp:  I would welcome the chance to test another version.  Please note my response above, though.

Thank you for the responsiveness on this--incredible support.

For some reason, although the Windows client is returning mainly the correct results, there are 2 notes the search retrns there not in the web search.  One is in another notebook.  I think that may be an anomaly / legacy--i.e. something got corrupted and is stuck there.  However, Windows returns on valid result that web does not.  I'll continue to monitor and see if new items are handled correctly.  Thanks for this latest updat!

58c08b77da666_20170308Evernoteissues6.thumb.jpg.5051416b9d7a1e52132b3c859fff892e.jpg58c08b7942a30_20170308Evernoteissues5.thumb.jpg.d97de3ad45d7d14f629d9b8da2cb7cd4.jpg

Good morning!  I found a bug today.  Searches within a notebook 58c17d2ecabab_20170309Evernoteissues7.thumb.jpg.86e30582d57b002a55dddb057f0ddc3d.jpgreturning delted notes  BTW, I like the feature showing the deleted status and restore button.  But I don't think the search shown should be retrieving them.  There are two in this search; the one at the bottom which is from another notebook

• Level 5*

Whew, did I miss a lot. LOVE WHAT'S COMING! Selective notebook sync has been a fantasy of mine ever since I bootcamped Windows 10 onto my 256GB MacBook Pro. Cannot wait for this. Sadly I already spent 3 days downloading my EN database onto my Windows side, but I'm going to fix that as soon as I get home and free up some space. Woo!

Bug though, using Windows 7. Seems copy/paste keyboard shortcuts don't want to work on images. Using the right-click context menu is the only way to get them into notes. 

1. Have image in note (in my case, often screenshots)
  2. Highlight and hit CTRL+C, or even right-click and select Copy
  3. Create new note
  4. Click into note so there's a blinky line
  5. Hit CTRL+V. For me, it doesn't work.
  6. Right click → Paste works every time.

Unf!

10 hours ago, eafpres said:

I found a bug today.  Searches within a notebook returning delted notes  BTW, I like the feature showing the deleted status and restore button.  But I don't think the search shown should be retrieving them.  There are two in this search; the one at the bottom which is from another notebook

This evening the odd deleted notes in search seemed OK, until I deleted some more notes, which then appear in notebook level search.  Perhaps there is some time limit?  If this is a feature, I'd like to understand it.

• Level 5
On 3/8/2017 at 0:45 PM, lisec said:

This is similar to my report earlier in this thread and to customer service, except mine doesn't not include a notebook. I get what looks like the correct results and then a couple of seconds later a bunch of non-relevant items populate the results page.

@lisec The problem is reproduced and fixed. Thank you for reporting! Please let me know if you'd like to get the RC build to verify the fix.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, eafpres said:

This evening the odd deleted notes in search seemed OK, until I deleted some more notes, which then appear in notebook level search.  Perhaps there is some time limit?  If this is a feature, I'd like to understand it.

I believe the issues you reported are fixed. Please check the next build and let us know if there are more server-side search issues. Thank you!

• Level 5*

Today you can drag a Saved search from the Ctrl+Q (Quick search) menu, to shortcuts. Is it possible to add a drag and drop function to tags in Ctrl+Q as well, like with the tag picker?

• Level 5
9 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Today you can drag a Saved search from the Ctrl+Q (Quick search) menu, to shortcuts. Is it possible to add a drag and drop function to tags in Ctrl+Q as well, like with the tag picker?

This is a bug and it's fixed: now you can drag notebooks, tags and saved searches from the Quick Search popup.

Thank you for reporting!

Running current beta, but I've seen this before too.  Anyone know why the loss of the image occurs on occasion? It's a clipped image that I've done some markups to.   I know it's got to do with syncing and annotating the image, but having the image disappear is quite frustrating. Any 'rules of thumb' to avoid it?

en ScreenClip.png

On 3/9/2017 at 10:30 PM, kvitekp said:

I believe the issues you reported are fixed. Please check the next build and let us know if there are more server-side search issues. Thank you!

Running 6.5.4.4652 it appears that in some cases, the trashed notes remain but then go away from the active notebook.  I think it is OK for now.  The feature now seems like in gmail where you get a few seconds to reconsider an action and undo it.  I like the UI wiht the 2 buttons at top right.

Here is another issue I'm having.  A minor annoyance but does degrade my user experience.  The gist is that with On-demand sync, as I click on notes they often say "Loading...".  I noticed that after a bit, the edit toolbar appears, but not the note.  Then, selecting another note and immediately back to the previous, it is displayed.  So the display behavior is sticky--it gets stuck after loading before display.58c5d92a2e403_20170312EvernotestickynoteloadingwithOn-demandsyncrev1..thumb.jpg.53c4581d3b96b441b80523167897bf52.jpg

• Level 5

@eafpres  Could you please open the Help/Activity Log windows, click on a partially synced note so that it says "Loading...", and confirm if the note editing toolbar shows after the log says that the note has been downloaded?

/Peter

Just before the following entries, I clicked on a note (title: "International Companies to Converge at Medical Fair") and it showed Loading...  All of these entries then appeared, and the editing toolbar appeared, and nothing else.  While writing this note, some other stuff happened, but the note still did not appear, still says "Loading...".  Please see below for the additional activity.

20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving 1 note
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving note "International Companies to Converge a..."
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * note content, length=0
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=5233
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={8ae48a4a-6d91-4941-9d15-24358a97549d}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=5233
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=45797
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={881991b0-385e-490b-925a-dea2b409cf6e}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=45797
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=15271
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={404476c0-2fc6-455d-a5c1-550ad1d311f6}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=15271
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=3896
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={63c1c096-9c4d-4a03-b93c-af7d727f6fb9}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=3896
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=43
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={a20bb70f-40e4-411e-85b0-59f2f8649e7c}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=43
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=19673
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={f4e38e68-373b-46f3-a8d0-3cc70d814071}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=19673
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=11430
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={fea65808-5d2e-44b1-9850-00cf4ea90145}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=11430
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=6655
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={a1285962-e031-43b1-9aa5-c2f80eddcc84}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=6655
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=3418
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={df480a38-deb1-4966-8dc2-ed74d133f572}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=3418
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=85021
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={228c111f-442f-4b6e-91b6-9d7277d2ba85}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=85021
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=34519
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={29129573-cb51-4262-91d1-3432168a4172}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=34519
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=4042
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={87f8f677-7f69-449a-a378-b38e1ac22b8e}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=4042
20:50:31 [7128] 99% Retrieving resource, total size=2983
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * guid={c082ed5e-7bc9-4506-ab61-5435d19586f8}
20:50:31 [7128] 99% * resource data, size=2983
20:50:34 [7128] 100% Submitting a batch of 14 note calls, size=232 KB
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving note content for batched note {F6F656E1-C286-4269-8CDC-EF64D8B71EDD}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {8AE48A4A-6D91-4941-9D15-24358A97549D}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {881991B0-385E-490B-925A-DEA2B409CF6E}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {404476C0-2FC6-455D-A5C1-550AD1D311F6}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {63C1C096-9C4D-4A03-B93C-AF7D727F6FB9}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {A20BB70F-40E4-411E-85B0-59F2F8649E7C}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {F4E38E68-373B-46F3-A8D0-3CC70D814071}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {FEA65808-5D2E-44B1-9850-00CF4EA90145}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {A1285962-E031-43B1-9AA5-C2F80EDDCC84}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {DF480A38-DEB1-4966-8DC2-ED74D133F572}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {228C111F-442F-4B6E-91B6-9D7277D2BA85}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {29129573-CB51-4262-91D1-3432168A4172}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {87F8F677-7F69-449A-A378-B38E1AC22B8E}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% * retrieving batched resource {C082ED5E-7BC9-4506-AB61-5435D19586F8}
20:50:34 [7128] 100% Submitting 1 notes for writing
20:50:34 [7128] 100% Waiting for 1 base writer tasks
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Writing 1 notes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local note "International Companies to Converge a...", resource count: 13, usn=0
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * guid={F6F656E1-C286-4269-8CDC-EF64D8B71EDD}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "020748c571b8d18060237fa840c00b15", 5233 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={8AE48A4A-6D91-4941-9D15-24358A97549D}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "079924904c450aa1adc386d91add06b1", 45797 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={881991B0-385E-490B-925A-DEA2B409CF6E}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "28d35fb83676e7784856e9d82a08e66b", 15271 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={404476C0-2FC6-455D-A5C1-550AD1D311F6}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "2ffb0aabb11ebf495d79189f680c2d89", 3896 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={63C1C096-9C4D-4A03-B93C-AF7D727F6FB9}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "325472601571f31e1bf00674c368d335", 43 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={A20BB70F-40E4-411E-85B0-59F2F8649E7C}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "361684229933c269ddcb0c777710e772", 19673 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={F4E38E68-373B-46F3-A8D0-3CC70D814071}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "4d5c5ca469ddf9d97d8ce45025c3c922", 11430 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={FEA65808-5D2E-44B1-9850-00CF4EA90145}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "7ec8c74e15c95df93d15ccc188ae14fb", 6655 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={A1285962-E031-43B1-9AA5-C2F80EDDCC84}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "a55b25fae475df79343014d63fa47dca", 3418 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={DF480A38-DEB1-4966-8DC2-ED74D133F572}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "a57a2d1aa9afddc39a447af6953d56b2", 85021 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={228C111F-442F-4B6E-91B6-9D7277D2BA85}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "c4c72091216aeb6f99b0abf635cb2418", 34519 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={29129573-CB51-4262-91D1-3432168A4172}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "c6894aec7782f820f8e5245fccaeabe8", 4042 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={87F8F677-7F69-449A-A378-B38E1AC22B8E}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:34 [16792] 100% Updating local resource "e89693098446d04d7ea3cfda96dcebeb", 2983 bytes
20:50:34 [16792] 100% * rsrc={C082ED5E-7BC9-4506-AB61-5435D19586F8}, note={f6f656e1-c286-4269-8cdc-ef64d8b71edd}
20:50:35 [7128] 100% Waiting for 1 base writer tasks done

Here is what happened while writing this note:

20:53:47 [6620] Client synchronization started
20:53:47 [3624] 0% Loaded updateCount: 840830
20:53:47 [3624] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=1
20:53:47 [3624] 0% SyncState: devices used: 3
20:53:47 [3624] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount: 840830
20:53:47 [3624] 0% Updating user "eafpres"
20:53:47 [3624] 0% * email last verified 2016/11/23 12:49:19 (UTC-6:00)
20:53:47 [3624] 0% Retrieving cross promotion info for user "eafpres"
20:53:48 [16148] 0% Updating 2 local item styles
20:53:48 [6620] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
20:53:48 [6620] * elapsed time: 0s
20:58:48 [15716] Client synchronization started
20:58:48 [13248] 0% Loaded updateCount: 840830
20:58:48 [13248] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=0
20:58:48 [13248] 0% SyncState: devices used: 3
20:58:48 [13248] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount: 840830
20:58:48 [13248] 0% Updating user "eafpres"
20:58:48 [13248] 0% * email last verified 2016/11/23 12:49:19 (UTC-6:00)
20:58:48 [13248] 0% Retrieving cross promotion info for user "eafpres"
20:58:48 [9428] 0% Updating 2 local item styles
20:58:48 [15716] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
21:00:10 [12840] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/03/12 21:00:00

• Level 5*

@kvitekp I know I have asked for this before, but is it possible to make the Ctrl+Q window maximum width match the maximum number of letters allowed for a tag name, since the box is already size adaptable. The maximum adaptable width today excludes the last 13-15 letters (when there is a scroll bar on the right).

I usually have some important symbols/comments at the end of a tag, which are lost if the tag name itself is long. It would be very helpful!

• Level 5
4 hours ago, gustavgi said:

I know I have asked for this before, but is it possible to make the Ctrl+Q window maximum width match the maximum number of letters allowed for a tag name, since the box is already size adaptable

Done. Thank you for suggesting!

Hi! I use 6.5.3.4452(304452) and...
When I type Win + Shift + F(shortcut key for "Find in Evernote", probably default),
in the past(I am not sure when it was or which version it was), it automatically made search-target notebook into "All Notebooks"
But now it does not.

Is it a bug?

Thanks

• Level 5
2 minutes ago, mygwdisk said:

When I type Win + Shift + F(shortcut key for "Find in Evernote", probably default),
in the past(I am not sure when it was or which version it was), it automatically made search-target notebook into "All Notebooks"
But now it does not.

Try checking the Tools/Options/Search <Search Options> [X] "Clear context on search"

On 3/12/2017 at 1:30 PM, eafpres said:

"...the Windows client has some issues for me where items are not found in search while they are found on all other platforms."

With the latest pre-release build the search problem appears fixed!  Thanks to the EN team!

3 hours ago, eafpres said:

With the latest pre-release build the search problem appears fixed!  Thanks to the EN team!

But how do I get the latest prerelease? I am currently running 6.5.3.4452 (304452) Prerelease. The link in an announcement points to this version. When I try to run "Check for Updates" in the Help Menu, I get the message that no updates available at this time and that I am currently running the latest version of Evernote. The option  "Enable beta features and updates" in Tools-->Options-->General is enabled.   

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, keisoko said:

But how do I get the latest prerelease? I am currently running 6.5.3.4452 (304452) Prerelease

My update shows this as the latest too.  I think the prior version was beta 2 and not a prerelease.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, keisoko said:

But how do I get the latest prerelease? I am currently running 6.5.3.4452 (304452) Prerelease.

I believe if you go back up the thread you will see that @eafpres was having some issues and @kvitekp offered him a release post the current published beta.  

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, eafpres said:

So is it determined that local database size is related to performance issues?  Are you referring to local or server dB? (I'm assuming local since the server is the definitive copy). We've had dialogue that the dB size isn't that large. Also if already synced how does that impact things?

I am not sure if it is size, number of notes, or composition of notes (attachments vs note text for example) but I can confirm since switching my PC to On Demand Sync, no UI freezes. My DB was north of 8GB with nearly 19,000 notes.

My Mac, on the other hand, has them all locally and no problems. The db they use for Windows though is just not up to the task. On Demand Sync resolves that for me, but at the cost of having everything locally available.

I think if everything is sync'd, and this new setting is enabled, it will start removing local content not touched in X days, so your DB should begin to shrink itself.

That will be painful to see I think as the vacuum process the DB does to shrink itself is one of the worst ways to lock the UI for a period of time. But at least it is moving in the right direction.

Though I wish they would just switch to another database. I've hoped for that for years. Given these new features though they seem committed to this database format on Windows. :wacko:

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

Great! BTW, the next beta will make the step in On-Demand Sync implementation: it will be able to purge content of the notes that were not viewed for a while. In this context "viewed" means opened in the note view or shown in the note list view. This prevents database with on-demand sync enabled from growing to 100%.

Sounds good. Is that a user setting? So I could set it to 1 month, or 6 months?

Hey Evernote.. just wondering if there is a method I can use to create 'saved search' criteria, or even tags/notebook links into a note? Currently we can create external links (to web sites) and internal links to other notes.  But 'awesome' would be being able to create a link to "anything" within Evernote and paste that into a note.  I'm thinking that it can't be that difficult to implement can it (depending on how EN already parses internal note links I suppose).  Thoughts?

Here some workarounds in meantime. With saved searches, one of the methods you can use is to create Table of Contents note. Then you can copy a note link of this note by pressing Ctrl+Alt+L and pasting it where you want. As to notebooks and tags, you can use ENScript.exe utility, which included with Evernote, to create the folder containing search shortcuts in Windows and then drag the prudent shortcut from this folder into the note you want. To illustrate the first method, here is the link to the ENScript.exe saved search Table of Contents note: http://www.evernote.com/l/AJnCjL0BL2VE260yC9gbEYe-V21TTTRAAyw/ with all the relevant ENScript.exe notes. Hope this will help you.

Here is a screenshot of a note, containing a couple of shortcuts created with ENScript.

58ddbb6c18b1e_notescreenshot.png.6ce38c0ca0393107c100a8b2ebadd278.png

I wanted to provide an update to my user experience with 6.5.4.4720

I am seeing occasional "Not Responding".  However, they are brief.  I interpret this as the dev team is making smart tradeoffis in syncing etc.  On-demand sync definitely helps, I think.

I had reported previously that when RAM utilization exceeded 60% that EN would grind to a halt, hang, etc.  This appears to no longer be the case.  A result is that my system is more stable on the whole.  This is a great thing for me.  I have one test I plan to run and will update again.  I have noted in the past that my lenovo suffers in part from a mediocre hard drive, which has some un-intelligent firmware that causes performance issues.  This seemed to exacerbate the EN issues.  As part of trying to improve this, I acquried a sotware called Diskeeper.  There is an option in that software to dynamically use RAM for caching beyond what would occur normally.  The idea behind Diskeeper is to more intelligently manage read/write behavior to improve system performance.  Unfortunately, when the caching was engaged, it took RAM utilization way up, and EN would hang.  With this latest version, I will try again and report back.

Happy Friday!

• Level 5*

BUG:

Editing a hyperlink replaces the text.

I had a link to another note in Evernote but used the hyperlink feature (vs pasting the link and letting Evernote put the green link in). I later merged some notes and wanted that to be behind the hyperlink. Right-Clicked the text with the hyperlink, clicked EDIT, pasted the new link in. The hyperlink and text were changed. Only the hyperlink should have changed.

Only workaround I can find is to remove the hyperlink first, then add a hyperlink.

• Level 5*

As part of trying to improve this, I acquried a sotware called Diskeeper.  There is an option in that software to dynamically use RAM for caching beyond what would occur normally.  The idea behind Diskeeper is to more intelligently manage read/write behavior to improve system performance.  Unfortunately, when the caching was engaged, it took RAM utilization way up, and EN would hang.  With this latest version, I will try again and report back.

Ugh. Sounds like just another product that promises to make your computer go super fast by doing things that your operating system already does for you. If it's just going to chew up RAM, then that takes it away from the OS's supply for managing its virtual memory system. Unsurprising that it didn't help. Defraggers, "*****" cleaners? Bah, not on my systems.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, jefito said:

Sounds like just another product that promises to make your computer go super fast by doing things that your operating system already does for you

Diskeeper is actually a reputable product, or was. They have since been acquired by Condusiv, whom I've never heard of. DK was the original defragger for Windows NT and it was critical to have. I've seen servers not boot due to heavy defragmentation in the past.

Less and less important in the age of SSD's, and all MS Windows products have built in defraggers that are usually "good enough."

But yeah, the RAM thing sounds sketchy.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

But yeah, the RAM thing soun

The RAM usage is only an issue if some apps become sensitive to available RAM.  I don't know why EN was behaving that way for me before, but it isn't now.  Diskeeper seems to be well behaved in that it dynamically uses RAM if it is otherwise available.  So far, my system including EN is happy with 81% RAM in use, which was crippling before.  

What I'm waiting to see is if, once Diskeeper catches up and is managing caching etc., do the minor "Not Responding" events go away or not.  That would be a very nice result, but I'll see and report back.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, eafpres said:

I have noted in the past that my lenovo suffers in part from a mediocre hard drive, which has some un-intelligent firmware that causes performance issues.

Ever consider an SSD?  I think you can get a 240 GB drive for $100 plus or minus (cost me $240 four years ago).  Though there is wide variability in ease of replacing by machine, I think most Lenovos are on the easier end (slides out from the side).  Cloning software works well also.  Just another option.

18 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Ever consider an SSD?  I think you can get a 240 GB drive for $100 plus or minus (cost me $240 four years ago).  Though there is wide variability in ease of replacing by machine, I think most Lenovos are on the easier end (slides out from the side).  Cloning software works well also.  Just another option.

The migration is what is holding me back.  It takes a long time to get everything just right on these Windows machines.  I have not personally tried to clone.  I'm worried about the registry in such a migration.  Have you done it successfully?  I've been considering taking my laptop to a professional to upgrade the drive, but that still make me nervous.  I have been considering this for at least a year.  I guess if I keep waiting it will be time for a new laptop soon.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, eafpres said:

The migration is what is holding me back.  It takes a long time to get everything just right on these Windows machines.  I have not personally tried to clone.  I'm worried about the registry in such a migration.  Have you done it successfully?  I've been considering taking my laptop to a professional to upgrade the drive, but that still make me nervous.  I have been considering this for at least a year.  I guess if I keep waiting it will be time for a new laptop soon.

I did it myself in 2013.  Got a Corsair Force Series 3 from Amazon, not promoting the product just being specific.  It came with the cloning software and connector.  Did the clone, swapped the drive, never noticed a difference other than the major speed improvement in EN and everything else.  

Using the same Lenovo today and it is still fast, 8GB of RAM.   YMMV. 

Thanks!  I'll look into it more seriously.  I know it will make a big difference.  When I got this machine, I was misled (my fault) by the specs which show a SSHD, which is bascially just a drive with some dedicted cache.  And, it turns out not a very well implemented one!

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Here's something that no longer works..  I have a series of notes with attached CSV files that I wish to save to a folder,  then merge into one spreadsheet and exclude duplications.  This the Win 10 laptop that has sync on demand activated.  All of the notes (32 of them) have an associated size,  and no dot or circle in the sync column - so I assume they're all locally available.  Select all notes and 'save attachments' (either right-click or the pop-up menu) and.... nothing happens.  Not all files actually have attachments - about 6 are just text,  but still...

Select one file with a definite attachment and try 'save attachments' again - nada.  Nothing saved.

Try several files with attachments - same result.

It appears not possible to extract these attachments other than by opening each note one by one...

• Level 5*

Thanks!  I'll look into it more seriously.  I know it will make a big difference.  When I got this machine, I was misled (my fault) by the specs which show a SSHD, which is bascially just a drive with some dedicted cache.  And, it turns out not a very well implemented one!

You are welcome.  Need anything PM me if you like.

11 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Yup, 1 day granularity.

So is it determined that local database size is related to performance issues?  Are you referring to local or server dB? (I'm assuming local since the server is the definitive copy). We've had dialogue that the dB size isn't that large. Also if already synced how does that impact things?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, EdH said:

Less and less important in the age of SSD's, and all MS Windows products have built in defraggers that are usually "good enough."

Exactly. It's not necessarily an issue of reputability, it's actual utility in the face of better OS capabilities. Norton Utilities ca. 1983 or so was a lifesaver and a necessity. In these days, it's strictly in the category of "I don't need any of this".

I do love me some SSD these days...

6 hours ago, EdH said:

If I could just reiterate for those searching with Demand Sync enabled, please give us some visual indicator that:

• The search is still happening - it happens in 2 stages
    • local search - lightening fast - searches all note subjects, tags, and locally stored note bodies
    • cloud search - to search through the rest of my note bodies not locally stored. - not lightening fast. Not even super fast by today's standards, however, it would be totally tolerable if there was an indicator that it was still searching. The moving dots from left to right seems to be the latest fad, but w/e.
  • The search isn't complete - this can be very dangerous
    • if the PC is offline, or Evernote's servers are not responding for whatever reason (weekly maint, etc), then the search only returns:
      • notes that meet the search via the subject line
      • notes that meet the search via the tags
      • notes that meet the search via the other header info (modified date for example)
      • notes that meet the search via the note body if locally stored.
    • Note bodies that are not locally stored are obviously not searched, but the search results give you no indication that happened.

This is problematic to me if a full description of what is happening.  

For my main use model, I can see notes I'm trying to search (they are new) and if they are synced (the circle thing).  But I also often search existing content.  Going back to the other thread about the upcoming feature to delete local content that isn't used recently, this could blow up my business if I miss things I should find in search that have "expired".

This could be especially problematic for notes I have sent directly into notebooks (instead of the default, which I use as an "inbox").  I route notes based on topic/content and expect they will be in search results in the future, even if I have never read them before.

I think I can work around this by more or less negating the benefits of on-demand sync, by ensuring that new stuff is synced, then contorolling settings to ensure nothing ever expires.  The problem would remain for directly filed notes, so I'm concerned about that.

Anyone care to straighten me out?

6 hours ago, eafpres said:

I sent this to support, but if it is real, then those of you using on-demand sync could probably repro.

Support confirmed this is a real issue and has been added to their queue to fix.

I found a bug regarding merging notes that are not synced:  I sent this to support, but if it is real, then those of you using on-demand sync could probably repro.  If you don't merge things, this is irrelevant.

EN Windows 6.5.4.4720
Windows 10
lenovo Y50

Previously I had enabled on-demand sync
I discontinued using as I had issues with waiting for notes to load
After de-enabling, some notes were un-synced (hollow circle icon), both recent, and past history
Performed a merge of several notes in one notebook where some were not synced
Expected result: EN would load the notes, then sync, then place source notes in trash
Actual result: EN merged to an incomplete result
I verified this by inspecting notes in the trash
Some I had to wait for "loading...." to complete (in trash)
After that, I found there were fewer entries in the merged note than in all the original notes
Also, the merged note has the headers in odd sequence--in some areas of the resulting (merged) note, there are several headers without content all in a row
There is also one "extra" note in the trash with partially merged content.

Not sure if this is the best place to post a suggestion on this version, or if I should post to the 6.5 GA, but here goes:

I would like to see on-demand sync be a notebook property, meaning I could select only certain notebooks to be handled on-demand, and leave the others alone.  I think such a feature would allow users to apply on-demand sync to less active folders, for example.  In my case, I have a lot of material coming into my default notebook from external sources (emails).  The bugs I have reported notwithstanding, I could apply it only to that notebook and it would significantly improve performance, without de-syncing my other notebooks.  I could learn to work around the downsides (for me) if it were limted to a few notebooks.

Reporting a bug.  It has been around for a while, just getting around to reporting it.  EN 6.5.4.4720 on Windows 10 lenovo Y50 laptop.  The deleted notes should not reappear.  Note that this is a search, and it is scoped to one notebook, so once they are on the trash, they should not appear in this search.  I believe the same thing happens without a search, but I'm reporting it as I found it.

590614fa5f1bd_20170430EvernoteIssue.thumb.jpg.ece029df57cae5547babc0e3acef452c.jpg

On 4/3/2017 at 0:55 PM, EdH said:

Agreed. It is a hacked workaround I wish I didn't need on my Windows PC. My Mac works fine and even if On Demand Sync comes to Mac, I won't be enabling it there given current good performance.

I wanted to post an update.  I have reverted back to *NOT* on-demand sync.  The reason for me is the behavior where notes that were synced locally are being removed from the local dB, so when I access them later, I have to wait through "loading".  My use model is I clip and store tons of information on various topics, including a lot of PDFs but other things just as note content.  I constantly search and review notes in the search results.  There isn't much of a predictable pattern, so I'm seeing often the open circles on content previously available.  The performance hit there was too much for me.

Having said that, the issues I had before with extreme sensitivity to RAM utilization seem to have been abated.  I have no idea why.  Perhpas the issue will return once my dB is fully populated again.

Bottom line, on-demand sync for new stuff was good, but pruning the dB is not good.  I realize there are issues in the Evernote dB setup for Windows.  I really appreciate the efforts to improve, but this one doesn't work for me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Stating the obvious, but it seems to me unless you have disk space or performance issues there isn't much upside to on demand sync.  If you have either problem then a good tool to have in the kit, other than the search lag.

Agreed. It is a hacked workaround I wish I didn't need on my Windows PC. My Mac works fine and even if On Demand Sync comes to Mac, I won't be enabling it there given current good performance.

• Level 5*

Stating the obvious, but it seems to me unless you have disk space or performance issues there isn't much upside to on demand sync.  If you have either problem then a good tool to have in the kit, other than the search lag.

• Level 5*

Circled things are not synced. Only header. Dots are pending a local change to be synced back to server. Blanks are fully synced. 

Search does everything synced or not but only if online and the cloud search of the circles is slower to respond. 5-15 seconds perhaps but no indication that the search is still working after local results returned. 

On 2/28/2017 at 6:29 PM, kvitekp said:

Reading back through I wonder if I should play with this setting?

I'm a bit nervous about the idea that local stuff could be removed in the future case using the setting to get rid of local data that hasn't been viewed for a configurable amount of time. If I change this setting to push more to the subdirectory will that content stay regardless of the time since last viewing setting?

in reality I probably won't care about local or not as s lot of stuff I do is in the cloud anyway.  So I mainly want to figure out optimized settings.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I'm not sure if it is the actual brand of SQL database, or the DB design.  I believe both EN Win and EN Mac use SQLite.

EN Mac stores ONLY the Note metadata (and minor admin stuff) in the DB, and stores the actual Note contents and attachments in folders/files.  So the actual SQLite DB is very small.  This has lots of advantages, including making incremental backups feasible.

I wish they would do the same on the PC. My MacBook (the new one with the anemic processor) runs circles around an i5 Surface Pro 4 with a 512 SSD. 

That is messed up. 

Archived