Changing Font size in left panel and note list

The font size for all the notebooks and notes in the left panel are too small to comfortably see.  The same is the case for items in the note list.  I know how to change the font for the content in each individual note but can't figure out how to do it in these other instances.  I am running on a HP Windows 10 and have the Evernote Plus subscription.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  Thank you.

• Like 6

If you go into your windows 10 display settings there should be a lever which you can drag to zoom the size apps are displayed on your machine.

I do not know of any setting inside the app itself that would let you change the font size of the left and middle pane.

4 hours ago, bryan_fink said:

Thank you Eric.  I will use that tool until evernote comes up with an option.

I believe there should definitely be an option to change UI settings. You are the second person in four days I am having this conversation with. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 3:37 AM, EnricoNahler said:

I believe there should definitely be an option to change UI settings. You are the second person in four days I am having this conversation with. 

Absolutely! I also need the font size in the left panel (note list in particular) to be larger. I do not want to set the overall Windows font size to be any larger. Evernote needs to have this option.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Overall I think people want more customization to their Evernote and want to make it look the way that works for them. Different size fonts, different layouts for ShortCuts, or note views, more color options etc. I am all for it as well. I use it all day long and it is the app that I spent the most hours according to RescueTime everyday. 

Thus, I want it to feel, look the way I like it.

Of course, with a lot of customization options, comes a lot of problems for the developers and for the users. I would trust the Evernote team to walk that fine line nicely.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm new to Evernote...well, back to Evernote having used OneNote for years.  Why?  The simplicity of PDF OCR and notes searchability.  Why might I switch back?  Your menu sizes are too small and uncustomizable.  It's great to have the Note itself respond to the scroll wheel, but the sidebar and editing icons are minuscule...so much so that I showed the interface to 2 colleagues and a UI/UX researcher who, without knowing/using Evernote, swore up-and-down that I was missing some obvious customization command because "there's no way anyone would design display fonts so small, as a default."  I see this string has comments dating over 5 years.  I run a software company so if you're not going to make this change due to some UI/UX philosophy, please share it so we can all make our decisions accordingly.  If you are planning to address, please share that as well.

Love your product but like others have noted, this 'display font size inflexibility' and display default font size is too small and really kills the user experience of the product.  I've gone from being excited within each note to dreading any task that involves formatting of a note or accessing/navigating notebooks in the uncustomizable left pane.  

Please let us know your thoughts.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Cash_Boston said:

Your menu sizes are too small and uncustomizable

Unfortunately, there aren't many customization options at this time when it comes to stuff like that. I would love to see more options to customize the left panel for sure. Icons, colors, text sizes etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for the over-40 crew that struggles with the UI.  As a practical matter, I'll need to start managing my notes in sublime-text where I can modify anything in the UI I want and just sync the notes across machines with google-drive.  Even as I write this I'm wondering what keeps me in evernote.  I'm sure after a long think I'll come up with something, but if I can't read Evernote and I can read Sublime-text in whatever font and size I like, well there isn't much thinking to do.

• 1 month later...

Yes! PLEASE! More important than any of the new bells and whistles. As a general principle it would be great if Evernote staff did a thorough review of usability before they embark on any feature changes. 

Adding my voice. I would like the display font size for the navigation panel and note list to be increased in size. Changing my display settings in Windows 10 doesn't appear to have any effect.  Even if you just have Normal and Larger would be an improvement. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yep. Font size and an incredibly small line height in the side bar is really a huge usability issue. Especially on huge screens where those letters are barely legible.

Also, there is no way to customize stacks which, except the clicky triangle to open them, looks exactly like notebooks, tags etc.

The Evernote UI design is really really lacking, at least on Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

I add my voice to the general request: Make Note Title Size adjustable! The Desktop versions (I use Mac) should have this. It is ridiculously small. Otherwise Evernote co is pushing us to the Web versions which can be size controled. HGH

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously, 3 years later and Evernot still hasn't addressed this issue??? So to increase Evernote to a viewable size we have to change settings in Windows and make everything else on our devices way too big??? Is this a joke? Is there really no UI customization to increase accessibility for older users???

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, BC66 said:

Seriously, 3 years later and Evernot still hasn't addressed this issue??? So to increase Evernote to a viewable size we have to change settings in Windows and make everything else on our devices way too big??? Is this a joke? Is there really no UI customization to increase accessibility for older users???

Nope.

I think Evernote may be having a hard time staying afloat, which would explain their lack of responsiveness and their failure to make improvements to the app. I’m beginning to explore alternatives like OneNote and Devonthink. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jeffsf said:

I think ...

Any facts behind your thinking, or do you just make up stuff

>>hard time staying afloat

The latest information is Evernote's finances are cash flow positive   
However, the majority of users are unwilling to fund this service/product

>>I’m beginning to explore alternatives like OneNote and Devonthink. 

I can tell you Evernote makes it easy to export your data   
Explore the export feature supported on the Mac/Windows platforns

• Level 5
22 hours ago, BC66 said:

I'm active on software forums for two other Windows software programs, and the same sort of problem is present and persists for them as well. I've read that Windows simply does not handle high-resolution hardware very well, so that it is in fact necessary to change Windows settings. I'm also older, and I guess "lucky" enough to still be on Windows 7 on a good-but-not-great display. The Win7 part has to end soon (just what I need to spend time on), and I'm just hoping that Win10 won't ***** up the display settings.

DTLow,

I am not an expert on internet businesses and have not crystal ball. As I thought my note made clear, this is an impression, or a guess if you wish. I haven't seen any significant feature changes in years, and this internet search makes clear that there are questions about how well the company is doing, but I hope they will succeed. I'm a long-time premium user and have found many aspects of Evernote admirable. At the same time, they have never been very responsive to appeals to give users more choice  in configuring the interface and organizational structure, from font sizes to folders.

Please don't think I'm an enemy, just someone who wonders, based on the app update history and articles like those you will find here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=evernote+staff+layoffs.

Cordially,
Jeff Byers

I believe the list of note titles at the left of the screen will be substantially larger in the next version of Evernote. I've signed up for the beta but haven't been able to see it yet; on the other hand, that's my impression from the various "Behind the Scenes" videos.

• 3 months later...

I guess I'm a lucky 58-yr-old.  With my glasses, on a high res monitor at the back of my desk, I can read everything fine.

For me, the issue is that the drop targets are too small and finicky.  If I want to drag a note to a new notebook, or drag it to a tag, I have to slow way down and very carefully place it.  I would like to make the font bigger to allow more slop in my motions.  Same thing dragging tags the other direction.

Even better for my use case, I'd like an easy way to temporarily make either the left panel or the notes list larger.  Increase the size, drag a bunch of stuff, shrink it back.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:57 PM, Malwarebytes-user said:

Hi Guys,

It is very common problem .You can easily increase or decrease the font size of windows computer. 

How to increase font size?

The technique you linked to works only in browsers.

Also, as others have pointed out in this thread, previously, we don't want to blindly increase the font sizes across all of our programs.  Nor, all the text within Evernote.  We need more specific control.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Edit your 61.js (probably in installed location -> evernote-client/resources/app/) and add following styling:-

-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;text-rendering: geometricPrecision;text-shadow: 1px 1px 2px grey;

for left-panel styling class (_3v6XgEPgYy3tu47n0Phh74), moreover similarly you can change size and font-family.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestion.  But, I couldn't find the file 61.json.  And, my Username\Appdata\Local\Programs\Evernote-client folder is blank.  I have "Hide protected operating system files" unchecked.  In the ...\Evernote\resources folder is a subdirectory called app.asar.unpacked.  But, that doesn't have any *.json files that I could find.

• Level 5

Just to make sure everyone is aware of this:

There are 2 groups of EN versions, the old ones (on Windows version number 6.25 and below) and v10.

Nearly all posts in this thread describe solutions with legacy clients, see the subforum of this thread.

Only the posts from 2021 are as far as I see related to v10.

So first make sure which version you are running before trying to tweak your system.

v10 posts should be placed in the new subforum.

For editing your 61.js on windows you need to unpack and pack the "..\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\resources\app.asar" which should be done through "github.com/ctxis/beemka" as it injects the "asar" files and regular "npx asar" will not work properly because it misses some node_modules and signature creation, this tool might be reported as trojan by your antivirus (shall be false positive) so use at your own discretion.

• 4 months later...

I face the same problem with the Evernote Legacy App on macOS Monterey. The "list view font" size is too small.

1. Does anyone have a solution for that?

2. Does anyone know the name and size of the font that is actually used by Evernote to display the "list view" items?

• 1 year later...

I think it may be a problem with designers being arrogant and insensitive as to the usability of their products.  "Who cares if they can't read it.  It's beautiful just the way it is.  Allowing users to customize the style would spoil my beautiful design!"

This is hardly limited to EN.  Outlook is a pretty cool program, but I use Thunderbird instead because the UI is more flexible (although not as flexible as it once was.  Lots of examples like that.

Sigh!