Evernote crash on Windows

Problem with Evernote on Windows 10 - Every time I add a new notebook or add anything to an existing notebook or note the application (v 6.4.2) crashes. The second I type anything or paste anything you get an immediate crash - the application just closes with no error messages.

Everything used to work ok until about a week ago. I've uninstalled the application (including uninstall with Revo uninstaller) and reinstalled but the problem remains. Installing on another PC everything works fine. The web app also works ok. I've tried installing an older version but still get the same problem.

Windows 10 sfc scan shows no problems, virus scan shows no problems, no other applications have a problem....

Not sure what to try next. Any advice welcome!

• Level 5*

Hi.  When you say you Revo'd and reinstalled - did you also rebuild the database from the server?  It sounds like you may have a corrupted note causing problems,  and if you reinstalled but kept the same database,  that would just continue the issue.  (NB If you have any local notebooks,  export the content to ENEX files before you try a rebuild.)

The steps are: 

1. ensure Evernote not running
  2. rename databases folder to databases.old
  3. log back into Evernote
  4. make hot drink of choice (it can take a while...)

Hi, many thanks for that info.

>  1. ensure Evernote not running

I had to kill Evernote processes in Task Manager (otherwise 2. said in use)

> 2. rename databases folder to databases.old

Done

> 3. Log back into Evernote

Opened Evernote & entered password. Evernote closed down at this point

Reopened Evernote & it opened ok & spent some time syncing.

When that was finished I opened an existing note & tried to enter some text - but once again at that point Evernote crashes & closes down

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK - did anything else change a week ago?  Anything about your device,  the network it's attached to,  updates to the OS,  new software...?  Can't think of what might cause this instant crash syndrome you seem to have.  I run Evernote on Win 10 and it's pretty stable. I do suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter so they're aware of this situation.  No other reports (AFAIK) yet,  but maybe an update is going around that causes an issue...

No major changes or anything I can really identify. I can't be specific about the date this started happening because I don't use Evernote every day but between 31 Jan and 6 Feb.

I've run Evernote on this PC for a little while and had no issues. My tablet runs Windows 10 and I've seen no issues with that. Windows logs don't show any problems.

I can't contact support because unfortunately I'm only on the free version but perhaps I'll dig out my twitter account & try.

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

2017-03-22  I have the same problem. Anytime I try to paste anything from my Windows clipboard into an Evernote note, the program crashes immediately.  I've had this problem for a couple of months. 

• Level 5*
On 22/03/2017 at 1:16 PM, Gwerr said:

2017-03-22  I have the same problem. Anytime I try to paste anything from my Windows clipboard into an Evernote note, the program crashes immediately.  I've had this problem for a couple of months. 

See suggestions above !  

Archived