Encrypt with different keys?

Howdy all,

I'd like to encrypt text on a new note with a different passphrase than the one I used on a previous note. When I try to do this, I get a message in EN stating that I can either try again (asking for the previous passphrase) or change my original passphrase (NOT RECOMMENDED).  I may have missed this, but do we only get to use one passphrase when encrypting text within our notes? What if I wanted to use a different code per note or notebook?

I searched for this but I came pretty empty handed, so my apologies if this has been discussed before.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, J. Baranda said:

I'd like to encrypt text on a new note with a different passphrase than the one I used on a previous note. When I try to do this, I get a message in EN stating that I can either try again (asking for the previous passphrase) or change my original passphrase (NOT RECOMMENDED).  I may have missed this, but do we only get to use one passphrase when encrypting text within our notes? What if I wanted to use a different code per note or notebook?

I don't use Evernote's encryption but my understanding is you can use a different passphrase on notes/notebooks

• Level 5*

There's no difference (AFAIK) in this feature between notebooks.  I think it's possible to encrypt note text anywhere across any notebook with whatever passphase you wish.  Having said which,  you'll get exactly the same password prompt in every note.  How do you know which password you used for this note?  I'd imagine that the warning message is more about the problem you'll have with multiple passwords rather than any system-level limits.  Although no-one has mentioned (yet) that they hit problems with the 10th or 100th new password.  I use three passwords for my notes,  and each encrypted section has a little code in plain text to tell me which one I used for that note.  I haven't tried different passwords in the same note.  Hmmn...

Beware that if you do test the system and find yourself locked out of the notes,  there's no backup,  no way to get a master key.  Gone is very much gone forever.

Thanks for the answers.  You make a great point about remembering which password was used for which note, given that the prompt is the same.  I like the approach about the clear text to provide a hint within the note.

I'll do some testing with garbage notes to get a better feel for how this might work :)

Archived