Evernote v8.0.4 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued feedback. We released v8.0.4 this morning with performance improvements, fixes for top crashing issues, and a fix for some notes not loading in the note editor.

What's fixed in 8.0.4:

• Performance improvements with note loading
  • Some notes that would appear as blank will now load
  • Crash on launch observed by some users - due to issues with some saved searches
  • Crash when viewing a PDF on iPad and rotating the device - we have an updated PDF viewer that fixes this issue
  • Crash when submitting a support ticket

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

P.S. We continue to troubleshoot the prompt for App Store sign-in issue that some users are seeing.

11 minutes ago, markkul said:

Results: No speed improvements, and most of my shortcuts are now gone.

Let me be more exact: iOS version on my iPad still goes even worse with most of the shortcuts gone, but the missing shortcuts are normally available on Windows Mobile 10 and Windows desktop clients. So luckily the shortcut problem apparenly is isolated to iOS client.

• Level 5*

My shortcut list is incomplete, my shortcut searches don't display

The saved searches are still there

So I went to Saved Searches and tried to recreate the Shortcut.  It says the shortcut was added, but still doesn't show up in the list

If I recreate the search using the searchbox, I can add it as a shortcut

I'm using this as a temporary workaround for my most needed shortcuts

2 hours ago, cifip said:

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued feedback. We released v8.0.4 this morning with performance improvements, fixes for top crashing issues, and a fix for some notes not loading in the note editor.

What's fixed in 8.0.4:

• Performance improvements with note loading
  • Some notes that would appear as blank will now load
  • Crash on launch observed by some users - due to issues with some saved searches
  • Crash when viewing a PDF on iPad and rotating the device - we have an updated PDF viewer that fixes this issue
  • Crash when submitting a support ticket

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

P.S. We continue to troubleshoot the prompt for App Store sign-in issue that some users are seeing.

Matthew Smith

I've just downloaded the new version for iPhone 7.

I normally sort my reminders within a list manually dragging them into an order I like.

This functionality appears to have been removed. Please help me find it .....I must be missing something....surely it's not been removed?

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-02 at 0:13 PM, Matthewsmithcomments said:

I normally sort my reminders within a list manually dragging them into an order I like.

This functionality appears to have been removed. Please help me find it .....I must be missing something....surely it's not been removed?

Looks like reminder manual sorting has been removed for IOS
We only have two options, the default reminder date sequence or the standard title/createdate/update sequence

Note: from the Release Notes

What's coming soon:
  • Reminders enhancements

Surely this is madness!! I have 3500 notes

i use the app every 5 mins

i constantly re order my reminder list manually (drag and drop)

and now I can't do....you removed it!

IT has to be one of the most basic functions in an organisational tool. 

PLEASE, please please can you escalate this to your technical director, developer team, Helpdesk director and CEO as this must be a massive oversight that will cost you 1000s of users very fast

please help

I am commenting on 8.0.4 on iphone 6s.
Yes, I can confirm the iTunes login request.
Yes, I can confirm the "cut short" saved searches.
Yes, I can confirm the missing short-cuts.
Yes, i can conform that I like the 7.xx version better / don't like 8.xx

No, I am not happy and wait for the next (hopefully) super-improved release.
For now, I find it to complicated to move to OneNote, but I checked.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Matthewsmithcomments said:

Surely this is madness!! I have 3500 notes

I have about 20 open reminders;  3500 does seem like madness :)

I never felt the need to re-order my reminders

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-02 at 1:05 PM, Matthewsmithcomments said:

I re order the reminders constantly in the day as my priorities change.

For me, the purpose is to remind me on a specified day/time

This changing priorities seem like task management stuff
I copy my task notes list into my daily journal, and I adjust the list as my priorities change

Not sure what the outstanding work on reminders is; possibly it includes manual sequencing

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Matthewsmithcomments said:

Hi DT are you on the Evernote team? Or just a user?

Evernote user like yourself

This is a user discussion forum but Evernote Staff occasionally pop in
- they are clearly identified in the sidebar

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, stuball said:

Also note that adding a saved search to shortcuts does not save that search to the shortcuts list --- that list remains static at 7, but hay they can be re-arranged!

I can add new saved searches to my shortcuts,

Until they get this sorted out, I recreated my critical search shortcuts 

and I do arrange my shortcut list - that's important to me; @Matthewsmithcomments might be able to make use of this 

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Matthewsmithcomments said:

That's cool :-) when you said daily journal do you define that as a note in Evernote or hard copy?

Just another note in Evernote.  

It's more functional on my Mac; I generate it with a script, and use copy-links for my task list

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-02 at 2:22 PM, TonyLim said:

Is there anyway to get back the version 7.x?

You can review the forum posts and see suggestions.  
I use iTunes on my Mac

So it would appear that we can no longer have saved searches in our shortcuts in the 8.0.4 version.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

It would be great if the devs would just concentrate on fixing what is broken and not creating more bugs in the process. <_<

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, grberk said:

So it would appear that we can no longer have saved searches in our shortcuts in the 8.0.4 version.

I have saved searches in my shortcuts

There is a bug that hides existing search shortcuts, however we can create new search shortcuts

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have saved searches in my shortcuts

There is a bug that hides existing search shortcuts, however we can create new search shortcuts

I deleted one of my saved searches, and then re-created it and re-added to my shortcuts. After syncing my desktop and phone, I still have nothing new in my shortcuts.

*sigh*

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, grberk said:

I deleted one of my saved searches, and then re-created it and re-added to my shortcuts. After syncing my desktop and phone, I still have nothing new in my shortcuts.

Did you do this deletion/recreation on your iPhone?

The search shortcuts I created on my iPad are still there

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Did you do this deletion/recreation on your iPhone?

The search shortcuts I created on my iPad are still there

I didn't before, but I did just now. How do I add a saved search to the shortcuts on the phone? I don't see a way to do that.

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, grberk said:

I didn't before, but I did just now. How do I add a saved search to the shortcuts on the phone? I don't see a way to do that.

On my iPad, it's

Run the search

>> Click on the . . . at the top      edit: click on thr +Q

>> Click on Add To Shortcut

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On my iPad, it's

Run the search

>> Click on the . . . at the top

>> Click on Add To Shortcut

I don't see that option on the iPhone app. No Add to Shortcut option at all.

-.png

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, grberk said:

But after choosing "Add to shortcuts", I see the little green notice box come up that says "Search added to shortcuts", but when I go to the shortcuts, nothing new has been added.

And the saved search was a brand new search you created on your phone

Have just updated and tested on iPad. And it's definitely improved.  Load speed ??  Not crashed ??  Notes that were blank are now showing ?? So i am a lot happier. ?  I could comment on items i do miss. Search across personal and business accounts ☹️ I miss presentation mode. ☹️.   One area that would be a great improvement would be; "along-side note commenting", rather than workchat or in addition to it. Dropbox Paper are doing that bit well.    Overall Evernote .... ?...?  ???

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, grberk said:

Good lord, I finally got it to work. This really sucks, though.

Glad you got it worked out

It sucks less than some of the other stuff getting fixed

I'm just using it as a temporary workaround to get my most needed shortcuts into IOS

If you're on v8, I'd still recommend implementing 8.0.4

Well, after having seen that there was quite some activity in beta testing 8.0.4, I finally dared updating my main Ipad from 8.0.2 to 8.0.4 (my Ipad mini enjoys 8.0.3 with the known trouble).

Pros: The install worked finely. (Some relief after upgrading 3 iOS devices to 8.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2 and 8.0.3 including the deinstall-/reinstall-routine ...)

Cons:

1. Saved searches gone from the favourites - very unfriedly act, did nobody in beta testing see this??

2. Arggh, now I have the itunes-request on my main Ipad as well!!

Some way to go. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-03 at 7:05 AM, cargoblues said:

I have one question to the Evernote team : "Why did you make such a bad and basic app, starting from a very powerful and convenient

We've been reporting the issues we've seen in this release, and Evernote has been working on fixing them

I still believe the basic app is powerful and convienient

I will be converting my work devices when the issues are resolved

>>Do you realize that your customers have no reasons to stick to Evernote ?"

Do you realize Evernote has over 200 million users.  I'm still one of them

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

If you're on v8, I'd still recommend implementing 8.0.4

Not me.  8.0.2 and holding and wishing I had held off on the 8.0.0 update.  I have no major issues with the UI change but am waiting for the introduced bugs to calm done before further updating. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan Gaby said:

As an Evernote Certified Consultant I'm going to have to revert to the latest version of Evernote iOS 7 until the app is more stable and features restored. 

I really need the two features restored or fixed:

1. Scanning Business Cards - I'm networking like crazy and have come to rely on the scanning feature to allow me to capture information on the card and add information to contacts and connect to LinkedIn. Since 8.0 I have not been able to do so.
  2. Scanning Evernote Moleskine for Business notes - I noticed that the ability to scan notes on the notebook and share the top portion of the page with others was gone. I contacted support and its not supported still.

All in all this feels like a public beta as opposed to a solid update with all the bugs figured out. 

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm displeased that the decision to create a dual user environment (Personal / Business) was made. I should have one account that encompasses both my business activities and my personal activities. I mean, as I move with in my day I'm one person, so I should have access to all my notes and notebooks without toggling back and forth between business and personal. 

I'm not running Evernote for OS 6.11 for this reason either. 

Jonathan, check the Settings and go under Camera.  Business card scanning is in there with the options you need, unless I'm missing something.  Moleskine options are in there too.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

We've been reporting the issues we've seen in this release, and Evernote has been working on fixing them

I still believe the basic app is powerful and convienient

I will be converting my work devices when the issues are resolved

Are you working for Evernote ?

I'm running on an iPhone 6 and can confirm the following:

• Crashing still occurs at random intervals.  Sometimes you try to resume using the app and it just kicks you back to the home screen.
  • Still seeing popup for iTunes login
  • Some of my saved searches that are shortcuts don't show up in Shortcuts.  They're over in Search.
  • Sometimes the app just freezes without crashing.

I've been pretty patient and calm about the whole thing.  I'm not going to get on here and make demands and threaten leaving.  I do have some SERIOUS concerns though.  It's obvious at this point, something went very wrong during the QA phase for this product.  I mean, did anyone even beta test this thing on an iPhone6?  How long did beta-testing go on?  What about internal Evernote testing?  Is it like 1 person?  I don't want heads to roll over this.  We all make mistakes.  But maybe it's time to beef up the staff in that area or change some policies or something.  This is getting kind of ridiculous.    

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jonathan Gaby said:

All in all this feels like a public beta as opposed to a solid update with all the bugs figured out. 

It most definitely feels like release 0 of a new version

>>I'm displeased that the decision to create a dual user environment (Personal / Business) was made

You didn't mention the loss of Presentation Mode

I'm confident the issues will get resolved with time, however I'm making sure my contacts know about these significant changes, and that they may want to not upgrade to v8

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

Are you working for Evernote ?

No, just a user like you

This is a user discussion forum.  Employees do pop in ocasionally, but they are clearly identified in the sidebar

For me the Login Prompt is gone. After reinstall saved searches are back. I didn't have a crash on any version.

Saved Searches do not appear on Shortcuts though (i can live with that, i only learned about this in this thread.)

What I'm still missing is a way to reverse the sorting order. and sort by tags maybe...

On 2/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, cifip said:

Glad to hear you are still working on the App Store sign-in issue, as it is still an issue and asks every time I open the app......not very productive!

3 hours ago, ormsin.l said:

I post performance for you to review your product 

iPhone 6+ (ios10.2.1) vs Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.3)

Why new phone slower than my old phone while running evernote? 

https://youtu.be/-YeMkjfy_Co

https://youtu.be/-YeMkjfy_Co

Good video comparing the lag and stuttering.

Evernote 8.0 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch is our fastest, most elegant iOS app ever:

lol

On 2017-02-03 at 9:49 AM, righteousdork said:

I'm running on an iPhone 6 and can confirm the following:

• Crashing still occurs at random intervals.  Sometimes you try to resume using the app and it just kicks you back to the home screen.
  • Still seeing popup for iTunes login
  • Some of my saved searches that are shortcuts don't show up in Shortcuts.  They're over in Search.
  • Sometimes the app just freezes without crashing.

I've been pretty patient and calm about the whole thing.  I'm not going to get on here and make demands and threaten leaving.  I do have some SERIOUS concerns though.  It's obvious at this point, something went very wrong during the QA phase for this product.  I mean, did anyone even beta test this thing on an iPhone6?  How long did beta-testing go on?  What about internal Evernote testing?  Is it like 1 person?  I don't want heads to roll over this.  We all make mistakes.  But maybe it's time to beef up the staff in that area or change some policies or something.  This is getting kind of ridiculous.    

I have iPhone 7 and all you mention found  here too, and on iPad Mini 4

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-02 at 2:00 PM, csihilling said:

my previously working shortcuts got hosed.

You had me alarmed about hosed shortcuts

Not hosed; but not visible either
The saved search is still available so I can access them via the Search icon

I also recreated some of my searches and created new shortcuts

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

You had me alarmed about hosed shortcuts

Not hosed; but not visible either
The saved search is still available so I can access them via the Search icon

From a shortcut perspective my definition of hosed:  if once they were there and then they are not.  And this is from 8.0.3 to 8.0.4, not from v7.  Unless no saved searches in shortcuts on IOS is a new feature.

Is anyone else seeing crashes in 8.0.4 when opening notes in notebooks shared from other accounts? Are there particular conditions under which this occurs? Not sure when this began -- maybe from 8.0 -- but I haven't focused on this separately from the other crashes.

Slightly off topic:

Still having problems with EN on iPad I tried Onenote for IOS: the interface is really impressive! The tabs show clearly alle your tags/labels.

Maybe EN 9.0 could have a lay out like ON?

:-)

However, Onenote on my Android phone and my Linux-PC (web version of Onenote) is very slow.

6 hours ago, rolands6 said:

Slightly off topic:

Still having problems with EN on iPad I tried Onenote for IOS: the interface is really impressive! The tabs show clearly alle your tags/labels.

Maybe EN 9.0 could have a lay out like ON?

:-)

However, Onenote on my Android phone and my Linux-PC (web version of Onenote) is very slow.

Maybe EN 9.0 could have EN 7.x UI. it could be a great improvement, don't you think ?:rolleyes:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, cargoblues said:

Maybe EN 9.0 could have EN 7.x UI. it could be a great improvement, don't you think ?

I think the trend is towards this uncluttered UI; we first saw it on the web platform

And by the time EN 9 comes around, everyone will be used to the new UI
If Evernote changed it, there will be 100's of posts like: I hate the new UI, how do I revert to v8

On 2/5/2017 at 10:55 AM, DTLow said:

I think the trend is towards this uncluttered UI; we first say it on the web platform

And by the tune EN 9 comes around, everuone will be used to the new UI
If Evernote changed it, there will be 100's of posts like: I hate the new UI, how do I revert to v8

I've made that same comment about users hating any new interface, and then treasuring it after it's replaced by a newer interface. That happens.

I don't think that applies here. The commentary about missing, and non-functional features has been very specific. The performance issues can't be dismissed. The nuisance sign-ins don't make any sense. The user criticism of the new interface is pointed, specific, and grounded.

Meanwhile, the criticisms about poor pre-release testing are at best understated. I've seen the release philosophy that "if it compiles, it's ready for release". The 8.0 release has that scent to it.

Anyone is welcome to be an EN apologist. But to achieve any traction, you have to go beyond memes and proverbs. The EN community -- insulted by poor testing, interrupted by absent or broken functionality, and frustrated by EN's bunker mentality -- expects and deserves some consideration.

JMHO

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-05 at 10:36 AM, iamhondo said:

The commentary about missing, and non-functional features has been very specific.

Evernote was clear about deimplementing some features (Presentation Mode);
others (Reminders) are still in progress.

So, I don't think we'll see Presentation Mode on IOS

Its a good reason not to upgrade to v8

hace 28 minutos, iamhondo dijo:

I've made that same comment about users hating any new interface, and then treasuring it after it's replaced by a newer interface. That happens.

I don't think that applies here. The commentary about missing, and non-functional features has been very specific. The performance issues can't be dismissed. The nuisance sign-ins don't make any sense. The user criticism of the new interface is pointed, specific, and grounded.

Meanwhile, the criticisms about poor pre-release testing are at best understated. I've seen the release philosophy that "if it compiles, it's ready for release". The 8.0 release has that scent to it.

Anyone is welcome to be an EN apologist. But to achieve any traction, you have to go beyond memes and proverbs. The EN community -- insulted by poor testing, interrupted by absent or broken functionality, and frustrated by EN's bunker mentality -- expects deserves some consideration.

JMHO

Bravo!

23 hours ago, iamhondo said:

Anyone is welcome to be an EN apologist. But to achieve any traction, you have to go beyond memes and proverbs. The EN community -- insulted by poor testing, interrupted by absent or broken functionality, and frustrated by EN's bunker mentality -- expects deserves some consideration.

JMHO

This is a very accurate analysis. Bravo.

22 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote was clear about deimplementing some features (Presentation Mode)

I wish it was possible to dislike comments. Because I dislike this comment. 

Evernote was *not* clear about this change - except in a forum post that the majority of Evernote users will never see. This is the kind of thing you disclose in the description. Apparently Evernote learned nothing from Penultimagate.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, pgdahl said:

This is the kind of thing you disclose in the description.

Are you referring to the release notes in the App Store?
I agree - those descriptions lack detail

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Are you referring to the notes in iTunes?

The description you get, when you look into what a new update entails on the device. I figure it is the same message in iTunes, though. (If you have automatic upgrades ... alas). And no, leaving it out from what's included in Premium is not being clear. 

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

People    Please Please Please turn off automatic upgrades

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, Evernote is the only reason I have disabled automatic upgrades. 

On 2017-02-05 at 11:01 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote was clear about deimplementing some features (Presentation Mode); others (Reminders) are still in progress.

So, I don't think we'll see Presentation Mode on IOS

Wait! What?  Has EN stated that reminders will be eliminated?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Mdd said:

Removing reminders will be very strange.    I hope they are not going 'anti people' all the way

Some reminder features didn't make it into this release.  Evernote says we can expect enhancements 

What's coming soon:
  • Reminders enhancements
On 03/02/2017 at 11:05 PM, cargoblues said:

I have one question to the Evernote team : "Why did you make such a bad and basic app, starting from a very powerful and convenient app ? Do you realize that your customers have no reasons to stick to Evernote ?"

I like your comment but disagree... EN is hard to opt out from.. many of us have thousands of notes on EN. but there is no reliable method to export out EN notes and then import into other options like ON or Notatability .. SO for now love it or hate it your notes are married to EN

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mdd said:

there is no reliable method to export out EN notes and then import into other options like ON or Notatability

Disagree on the export; Agree on the import
although ON has an EN importer app of sorts

From the very beginning, I made sure it was easy to export my data from Evernote

• Level 5*
On 2/5/2017 at 0:36 PM, iamhondo said:

Meanwhile, the criticisms about poor pre-release testing are at best understated. I've seen the release philosophy that "if it compiles, it's ready for release". The 8.0 release has that scent to it

Unfortunately, this is old news.

While I have seen premature, half-baked, not-ready-for-prime-time releases of EN Mac and EN Windows, EN iOS seems to be the most often occurrence.  This is not the first, not the second, . . ., not the fifth, maybe not even the 10th  time this has happened.  It has happened so often that it is a clear pattern, and IMO, an expected event.

Evernote was highly embarrassed several years ago when a popular, credible, tech writer came down hard on Evernote for releasing such buggy software[1].  For a brief few months, it looked like Evernote had learned their lesson, and corrected the culture and system[2].  Unfortunately, within the year Evernote had forgotten, and returned to releasing buggy software.

So, I've given up on expecting well-tested, high-quality software releases from Evernote.  I still use Evernote ONLY because nothing better has come along.  But one day . . .

Footnotes/References:

1. Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant | jasonkincaid.net, 2014-01-03, Jason Kincaid.
  2. Response by then Evernote CEO Phil Libin, 2014-01-04

10 hours ago, Mdd said:

I like your comment but disagree... EN is hard to opt out from.. many of us have thousands of notes on EN. but there is no reliable method to export out EN notes and then import into other options like ON or Notatability .. SO for now love it or hate it your notes are married to EN

Yes you're right, for now my notes are married to EN. But I've read somewhere on this forum that there is a way to export EN notes to ON. The problem is I liked EN and if I've chosen EN it was because of the originality of this app. Cleaver and powerful with a hint of fun were the words to describe it when I talked to friends about EN. That's a pity.

You never know the path you haven't walked yourself.

True enough that there is even a small utility that ON  had developed which was supposed to import from EN effortlessly..but in practice it is  unreliable and hangs in the middle of the import process.  I struggled for a while then gave up on it. 

17 hours ago, cargoblues said:

Yes you're right, for now my notes are married to EN. But I've read somewhere on this forum that there is a way to export EN notes to ON. The problem is I liked EN and if I've chosen EN it was because of the originality of this app. Cleaver and powerful with a hint of fun were the words to describe it when I talked to friends about EN. That's a pity.

This is a good example to have a better option and not get caught with our pants down again. Should have stayed with the big guys, less options but works.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, FireManTTSOM said:

This is a good example to have a better option and not get caught with our pants down again. Should have stayed with the big guys, less options but works.  

Not sure who "the big guys" are, but there's certainly no problem exporting our data

Everyone has the option to upgrade; not upgrade; or not use Evernote.

Whatever you decide, have a backup plan

>>Anyone find a better option please post.

Hold off upgrading until a more stable release that you're happy with

App auto upgraded to 8.0.4.

Seriously?? I want the previous version back.

I used to go to TAGS in one step and look for the note I want, now it 2 steps and not intuitive at all. Offline speed is terrible

It keeps giving me the itunes password prompt whenever I start using the app.

I don't think I've ever plugged my iPhone into iTunes, but I may have to figure that out to downgrade.

At this point, I'm fine with the feature set as-is.  I would just love the app to not break ALL THE TIME.

I realize I'm just adding to the chorus of p!$$ed off users, and I'm usually pretty reasonable about these things.  But this is just bonkers that this is happening. I don't even know if this is possible, but they should just do a recall on the code.  Revert everyone back and let this thing bake some more.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:24 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Unfortunately, this is old news.

While I have seen premature, half-baked, not-ready-for-prime-time releases of EN Mac and EN Windows, EN iOS seems to be the most often occurrence.  This is not the first, not the second, . . ., not the fifth, maybe not even the 10th  time this has happened.  It has happened so often that it is a clear pattern, and IMO, an expected event.

Evernote was highly embarrassed several years ago when a popular, credible, tech writer came down hard on Evernote for releasing such buggy software[1].  For a brief few months, it looked like Evernote had learned their lesson, and corrected the culture and system[2].  Unfortunately, within the year Evernote had forgotten, and returned to releasing buggy software.

So, I've given up on expecting well-tested, high-quality software releases from Evernote.  I still use Evernote ONLY because nothing better has come along.  But one day . . .

Footnotes/References:

1. Evernote, the bug-ridden elephant | jasonkincaid.net, 2014-01-03, Jason Kincaid.
  2. Response by then Evernote CEO Phil Libin, 2014-01-04

@JMichaelTX, as usual, you're dead-on correct. It's as if the left hand (mobile team) has no idea what the right hand (desktop team) is doing. They just toss updates out here to see what sticks...or doesn't. :::urgh:::

The lag is making me use Evernote less and less on my iPad. These are notes that are mostly offline synced. I tap a notebook at the top and nothing happens, tap a few more times eventually Evernote responds. 

19 hours ago, FireManTTSOM said:

Terrible...pitiful update.  Nothing is better.  In some was worse.  Login all the time, slow, jumpy, hangs up.  

Anyone find a better option please post.  I am done...

I switched to Bear. I don't like it as much as I liked Evernote 7, but it works better than Evernote 8, costs only $15 a year, and does pretty much everything I need. I miss presentation mode, but in their infinite wisdom Evernote removed that from 8 anyway so it's not really a loss. 

The last time I remember a release missing the mark this badly was Media 100 7i. That failure sank the company. It removed features, was buggy and focused on things their customer base didn't care about. Sound familiar?

9 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

I switched to Bear. I don't like it as much as I liked Evernote 7, but it works better than Evernote 8, costs only $15 a year, and does pretty much everything I need. I miss presentation mode, but in their infinite wisdom Evernote removed that from 8 anyway so it's not really a loss. 

The last time I remember a release missing the mark this badly was Media 100 7i. That failure sank the company. It removed features, was buggy and focused on things their customer base didn't care about. Sound familiar?

I don't know if this mess is going to sink Evernote and I don't wish it. In fact if I had to make a wish, it could be : "Members of the EN team, please, please, read our posts on this forum and give us back EN we knew". Is it too much to ask ?

3 hours ago, cargoblues said:

I don't know if this mess is going to sink Evernote and I don't wish it. In fact if I had to make a wish, it could be : "Members of the EN team, please, please, read our posts on this forum and give us back EN we knew". Is it too much to ask ?

I'm with you. What I wish for is an apology from the CEO and an immediate revert to 7 for all users. Then spend however long it takes to properly develop AND TEST version 8 including all of the features they dropped.

My point was I'm as baffled by this release as I was by then"let's take a high end video editing product and focus it on creating low end internet video" release from Media100. In their case they needed the upgrade revenue to stay afloat and nobody bought the upgrade. They went into bankruptcy shortly thereafter and never recovered. Evernote needs the premium revenue to stay afloat and they have alienated many premium users including myself. 

A month ago I was one of Evernote greatest advocates. But it's been taken away from me and I'm mad. And because some of the features, particularly presentation mode, are "not coming back" there is no chance I will "learn to love the new" product. 

On ‎08‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 5:09 AM, FireManTTSOM said:

Terrible...pitiful update.  Nothing is better.  In some was worse.  Login all the time, slow, jumpy, hangs up.  

Anyone find a better option please post.  I am done...

After this disastrous update to v8.x I started to explore other options. As a Premium Member  I take this as a very irresponsible move of EN towards users as myself that are professionally dependent on notes.

I have no final opinion yet, but I have to say for the moment I am very pleased with OneNote testing it quite heavily between my Windows, Mac and iOS (iPhone 7 and iPad Professional) platforms. It would be in terms of functionality and UI behind EN v7.x but with all these serious weaknesses of EN v8.x in terms of functionally, lags, speed, not functioning downloads of Offline Notebooks and other unacceptable unreliabilities OneNote is definitely a serious option.

I know all of us have different demands on applications, but for a lot more than basic functions ON seems to be a rock solid way to go. Especially as these shaky updatings seem to be a repeating fact in EN history. Give ON a try.

Adding my $0.02 Evernote 8.0.4 has problems with offline notebooks. Was using on iPad pro with iOS 10.2.1, opening the app would freeze about 10 seconds, then i was able to select a note or notebook or anything really, then it would take another 5-10 seconds for the note content to load and allow me to type ... even through it was synced as an offline notebook/note. Deleted and reinstalled. When i did not sync any as offline notes, it responded much better - like it should!  As soon as i turned on any offline notebook, BLAM ***** again.  Adding my voice the cries of return back to the previous version. 8 is a DISASTER!  Been premium subscriber since 2008.

The most frustrating thing of all is the arrogance and lack of response from EV.  Just shameful, good example of how to kill off a business.  None of us would treat our paying customers this way. We are reasonable people for the most part.  Tell us it will be fixed in a week and we move on.  No communication tells us you could care less about your customers. 

As many have replied, looking for other options and one will rise to the top quickly.  $$$ on the ground just waiting to be picked up. 

1 hour ago, FireManTTSOM said:

The most frustrating thing of all is the arrogance and lack of response from EV...

Absolutely. Just cricket sounds here.

The failure to address issues with the concerned users (like us) is more likely to drive me away than bugs. Technology issues are a "now" concern. But customer relationship issues become chronic and detrimental to the business. Once the dive starts, it's hard to reverse.

EN has a very short window to demonstrate they're interested in staying afloat. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Uncle Bob said:

What I wish for is an apology from the CEO and an immediate revert to 7 for all users.

3 hours ago, FireManTTSOM said:

The most frustrating thing of all is the arrogance and lack of response from EV.

1 hour ago, iamhondo said:

Evernote maintains this forum and started these discussions to keep us informed of the progress
They have a development team working on fixing the issues, and posting patches as they complete the work

As always, you have the choice to be part of this process, or you can delay upgrading until the development is completed

Reporting issues is a good response;  whining is not

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote maintains this forum and started these discussions to keep us informed of the progress
They have a development team working on fixing the issues, and posting patches as they complete the work

As always, you have the choice to be part of this process, or you can delay upgrading until the development is completed

Reporting issues is a good response;  whining is not

Wow.. that reeks of arrogance.

Time will tell whether Evernote is because of customers or the other way around.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, mdd16 said:

Time will tell whether Evernote is because of customers or the other way around.

@DTLow has his own opinions and way with words, as we all do.  He does not represent or speak for EN in any way, just himself.  

3 hours ago, iamhondo said:

The failure to address issues with the concerned users (like us) is more likely to drive me away than bugs. Technology issues are a "now" concern. But customer relationship issues become chronic and detrimental to the business. Once the dive starts, it's hard to reverse.

EN has a very short window to demonstrate they're interested in staying afloat. 

Well.. EN can choose to think that there is just this small band of 8-10-20-100 people who come and make noise here.  This is not the real mass of public which is paying and making EN as rich as it is.  Whether it is a short window of opportunity to stay afloat may be debatable.. Clever strategic planning can make a company and product survive and thrive despite product being far from perfect.. Microsoft has stayed .. seems like forever.

But feeling the due responsibility towards a paying customer is a matter of emotional make up of a person, which collectively eventually becomes the culture of a company.  How a company wants to connect with its customer is entirely a matter of choice that needs to be well established early and firmly.

I have always been delighted by Apple's support.  My MBP has been out of warranty for nearly 2 years now and I have not covered it in extended warranty, and yet if I make an online request for a support call, they have never refused to be with me for hours on phone to solve my issues.  Recently also they patiently worked with me on live chat to resolve the questions I had regarding iCloud storage.  They just charge me Less than 12.00 Dollars a year and yet give me personal care that makes me loyal to them in return. Companies that invest in confidence of customer go a long way in keeping their future strong and progress steady. Customer care is like religious faith, you may choose to have it or not, life will go on with our without.

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, mdd16 said:

I'm not sure what that means but I want to make it clear that we're all users here and I'm expressing my personal opinion as an Evernote user

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, humanengr said:

Not even wrong. The upgrade should not be released until development is completed.

Regarding completed development, I prefer the Mac platform where there is a clear beta period and releases are clearly identified.  User's specify if they wish to participate in beta testing

Archived