Evernote on External Drive

Just recently downsized to a 32Gb notebook (I know, should have gone for 64Gb) and storage is at a premium.  Is it possible to move Evernote to my SD card?  It always insists on loading onto my C/ drive.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Not a good idea I'm afraid.  If you do move Evernote to the SD card you'll lose some functionality and speed.

Is your issue with the app or the database?  I have a separate notebook that is downloaded to my phone,  and I swap notes into and out of that notebook on my desktop so I always (when I remember) have the notes that I need available on or off line.  My main notebooks are kept in the cloud (and on the desktop) so they don't add to the footprint on my phone. 

The app itself uses (on my Android) 60MB - whether that also includes some notes or temporary storage I don't know.

Sorry.  Engage brain before typing.  I just noticed your comment about a C:/ drive and registered this is a notebook not a mobile.  So lets try again...

SD cards in Android are a bit of a problem (see above).  However if they come off as just another removable drive in your OS,  then moving the database there wouldn't be a major hassle - but make sure that SD card is available every time you open Evernote otherwise bad things will happen...

Thanks!  My SD card stays in the computer all the time, and holds everything I can put there (e.g. music). How do I move the Evernote database to the SD drive?  Can I keep it from syncing to the C drive?

OK -- I moved the files to the SD drive (you're right, pretty easy once known!).  But, the database files are about 3.5 Mb, while Evernote on C/ has grown to 237 Mb.  Could it be that the application is that big, while the notes themselves are (relatively) small?  If that's the case, I might as well put the database back on C/.  I still would like to move the app itself to the SD.  Some apps give you a chance to install them in some spot other than the default location, Evenote doesn't.

• Level 5*

Wow.  That's a lot of disk space...  and I just checked in Windows - the full Evernote folder (excluding databases) is about the same size.  So.  Unless someone with more expertise can suggest some sort of symbolic link to redirect  C:/ calls on the Mac,  I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can at https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - or message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps - to see whether they have any better suggestions.

The only other options I can think of are either:

• uninstall Evernote completely and use the Web access - though it's much less capable than the desktop option.  Updates are supposedly in progress.
  • set up a new basic account and run your existing account from another desktop with one or more notebooks shared to the basic account.  Move notes into and out of the shared account as required,  so that you only store a subset of your notes on the notebook.  (NB that may not reduce the current app footprint)

Archived