To-Do Aggregator

DarrinL

Idea

This feature is actually the one thing that I have been searching for on all the different note taking apps - the ability to aggregate all to-do's written in different notes into a single view.  The problem that I am solving is that I am in 7-12 hours of meetings per day and in each one I take a significant amount of notes.  I would like to continue taking them in Evernote, but in each of those meetings there are to-do's that I write down that I need to action.  Generally, I don't have time to switch between the current note that I am in to take notes on the discussion and a different note to jot down a to-do AND if I do that, then I lose the context of the to-do.  I know that there is the note filtering feature (todo:false), but that doesn't exactly do what I want.  I don't want to see all the notes that I have to-do's in and go through them.  What I want is a separate view (maybe an auto-generated note or something) that aggregates all the to-dos that are in all of the different notes into a single list.  This way I could see the list of to-do's and action on them in one place.  On each of the to-do's on the aggregated list, there should be a note link to the note where the to-do came from so that you can easily go back and get the full context if you need it.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  You say you checked out note-taking apps - as far as I can tell most to-do apps include some version of the aggregation feature you mention.  It sounds like you might get more mileage out of making one task note for your meeting and spinning off sub-tasks for the various additional jobs that result.  Tagging the sub-tasks with project names and tasked colleagues would allow you to create different views.

It would be necessary to use third party software anyway - I don't know whether or when Evernote would add the sort of functionality you're looking for.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, DarrinL said:

This feature is actually the one thing that I have been searching for on all the different note taking apps - the ability to aggregate all to-do's written in different notes into a single view.  

I'm the opposite; un-aggregate tasks into separate notes.  That way, I can display in various views using saved searches.

You're limited on the Web platform.  

Some of us developed scripts to implement this on our Macs.  We parse the text in the notes and perform the required actions

I am currently using another note taking platform while I wait for Evernote to create this feature.  Confluence does this very well.

Ideally, I want to be able to insert a "To Do" check box, add the task and then add a date beside it. Then have Evernote create a automatic note (or have a template available) that then has a table with that information, as well as the name of the originating note.

This would bridge the gap between Evernote and a stand alone Task management system.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Have a look at Filterize - it's possible to set up a self-updating list of links to to-do items in one Table of Contents which will add new items as you create the notes,  remove them when they're done and let you manage this and various other functions automatically.  Seems well worth looking at,  though it only has a limited 'free' level...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Tim Mair said:

Ideally, I want to be able to insert a "To Do" check box, add the task and then add a date beside it. Then have Evernote create a automatic note

Not an Evernote feature.
I could script this (Mac).  There's also third party Taskclone

>> that then has a table with that information, as well as the name of the originating note.

I  just use a saved search to produce a  list of the task notes.

Archived