Why is EN banging away on my hard disk?

I have a 500GB SSD as my main (C) drive, and a 1TB HDD for "overflow".  Whenever EN does anything, I can hear the HDD banging away, and it slows EN way down.  I checked Tools > Options > General, and it says the local files are at C:\Users\<myusername>\Evernote.  I checked and this folder is NOT linked, nor is anything in it linked.  Also, I used to run the PC with the HDD unplugged and EN worked fine.  That might have been before EN did whatever-it-did to it's local database a while back.

Anybody have any idea why EN is banging away on a drive that doesn't contain it's db files?

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, prz said:

Anybody have any idea why EN is banging away on a drive that doesn't contain it's db files?

EN routinely pounds mercilessly on its database file, and your OS might use another drive for caching that information. Evernote recently moved its database folder to your user profile area, probably so it worked right for those that purchased in the Windows Store, and also because people that had local notebooks only would lose their data when moving between PCs because they didn't know their files were 10 levels deep in a hidden folder that never gets migrated from machine to machine with normal tools.

But I don't know if the temp files EN creates during copious database maint is also in that local profile folder. It could be using your HDD, or ti could be handing it off to your PC to figure out where to put them while it works.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

But I don't know if the temp files EN creates during copious database maint is also in that local profile folder.

They are. Which is why it's a _really_ bad idea to put the database folder into a file sharing program like Dropbox.

• Level 5*

There are those more technical than I, but I can't think of why EN would cause activity on your off drive if all your EN data is on C:.  Are you sure it's EN?  Some things I found that beat the disk/cpu to death are the MS file indexing and telemetry processes.  I turn them off as best I can.  Maybe open up task manager the next time it happens and see what is consuming the resources. 

The correlation is crystal clear.  Click on something in the EN client, edit a note, anything in EN - clickity-clack.  Every time.  I tried Process Monitor, but I'm having trouble searching for paths starting with "G:\" (the label of my hdd).  It seems took a very long time to run, then crashed.

Figured out how to get Process Monitor to show me G: accesses, and...  the problem vanished.  Hang a scope probe on the circuit, and it starts working...  I did kill and re-start EN during this process.  Maybe that's what fixed it.  Anyway, I'll be ready with Process Monitor if it pokes its head up again.  Thanks!

Archived