Offline Notebooks - how long should it take to complete after reinstalling app

I have had all the same type of issues, I have seen here in the forums with iOS 8.x.  I have deleted and reinstalled.  

How long should it take to download notes to iPhone after reinstall.  I have a great wifi internet connection.  I have done a random check and seems ok, but with below image it leads me to believe its not complete??  is that "status" bar a "real thing"?  

FYI - inbox has 30-50 notes at anytime.  filing cabinet has 3000+ notes.  

Thanks for any help / insight.  

image - offline notebook status.jpg

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, jbj312 said:

How long should it take to download notes to iPhone after reinstall. 

It took a long time for my 7gb of notes; 3-4 days.  I have background sync enabled, and just let it chug away

If you have something critical, you might assign just a few notes to an Offline notebook

--------

Also, v8 doesn't seem completely stable yet; you might want to hold off on the mass offline download

• Level 5*

I wouldn't use offline right now to be honest. It took 24 hrs for approx 10MB in 12-15 notes to download in my @inbox notebook. I decided not to fool with downloading my @pending items notebook as it has nearly 200 notes and is at least a few hundred MB. I'll wait until a newer version of 8.x comes wout with better offline syncing, like 7.x had.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jbj312 said:

@EdH @DTLow - 

Appreciate the quick and honest responses!!!  Will take your advice and hold off for now.  

Any intel on my original screen shot and the "status bar" - is a "real thing" / accurate??  

Yup.  When the green bar gets all the way across the number of notes will appear and the notebook will be synced offline.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, EdH said:

I think it is accurate. It took 24 hrs for my green bar to fill up. 

Yeah, I only know because I only have one notebook that is offline.  I use it as a place to put notes where I want to be sure and have access when out of coverage.  It only contains 5 notes so easy to see what happened,

@csihilling - had just created "temp" notebook (until 8.x becomes stable) and added 11 notes that are critical for me while traveling.  That notebook downloaded in minutes (status bar "fully" green)  but the inbox notebook with 30 notes has been trying to download over 24 hours???  

I know I am probably asking the impossible, but does anyone have an explanation / fix for this type of Evernote behaviour?  

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jbj312 said:

fix for this type of Evernote behaviour?  

You probably don't want to hear the standard .... delete and reinstall the app  :)

At least reboot your device

Also, make sure you have Background Sync turned on in settings

I have probably 12 offline notebooks in Everslow with maybe 900 or so notes in them and I think it took about a couple of days, I would leave Everslow open and it would slowly trickle in. Even then I would run into a note that said it needed to be downloaded.

@DTLow - thanks for the quick response.  

• got it on delete and reinstall - already did that
  • already rebooted
  • background sync on

If you all have any other recommended topics / threads that I can keep my eye on as it relates to this specific topic and / or Evernote 8.x as well as updating here if you can, it would be much appreciated.  

Thanks once again.  

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, jbj312 said:

@csihilling - had just created "temp" notebook (until 8.x becomes stable) and added 11 notes that are critical for me while traveling.  That notebook downloaded in minutes (status bar "fully" green)  but the inbox notebook with 30 notes has been trying to download over 24 hours???  

I know I am probably asking the impossible, but does anyone have an explanation / fix for this type of Evernote behaviour?  

Clueless as to why Inbox is taking so long.  Are the 30 notes all large in size?

Anyway, my suggestion would be to plug in your device, set Auto-Lock to never, close EN, and then open EN, go to all notes and swipe the note list down.  Syncing should appear and go away when the sync is done.  Be sure you don't have other notebooks accidentally checked for offline.

As a test, I just moved a 165MB note to my Quick notebook.  It took less than a minute for it show as downloaded in IOS.  However, when I opened the note the attachment still had the tap to download message on it, so it was NOT REALLY downloaded.  Another minute or so and the attachment was downloaded.  Close and reopen EN and the attachment was there.  

Moral of the story, after the notes show as downloaded, go to each to be sure the attachments actually are.  It definitely should not be working this way.  All of this on a 60MB connection.

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

It definitely should not be working this way.  All of this on a 60MB connection.

Isn't that the understatement of the past couple of weeks................

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbj312 said:

Let me check.... :D

8ball.png

• 1 month later...

@EdH   @csihilling  @DTLow - unfortunately, having to revisit this topic as had a "unable to sync" error with  "could not connect the evernote service.  Please try again later."  after 4 days, no joy.  had to engage chat support and they, of course immediately said delete the app and reinstall - ugh.  I pushed back hard and the person who was trying to help me was not coming up with any options that were working (dreaded level 1 support - "is it on????? or similar questions) - so I decided to just delete and reinstall.  

Sorry - as I mixing in a few questions here, but - 

1. has the downloading of notes to the device gotten any better (I am currently seeing the same experience as above thread - ugh!!!!)
  2. the latency on the app is still bad - anyone seeing any better performance in the overall iOS app?  
  3. is anyone having any success with any type of evernote "direct" support?  (chat, email, twitter) - I am struggling with the pain of engaging on chat, then having first level switch me over to a "senior support person" by converting chat session to email thread which inevitably goes on and on and on.  
  • Level 5*
  1. Better, but still not as fast as 7.x IMHO.
  2. Still stutters for me, but incrementally better with each minor update.
  3. EN support is mediocre at best. It was something they obviously cut in order to improve cash flow. My first action is to this forum, but I also know that it isn't monitored religiously by EN employees, and it won't be an instant reply by anyone. Could be a day or so. My section action is usually to twitter. They have been pretty good for me. My last action is to their web support official channel. I find more often than not, I know more than they do about the product, and they can often co a copy/pasta reply that tells me immediately they saw some key words and didn't read it.

Hmmm... maybe next time I will deliberately misspell key words so their software cannot recommend replies for their support team. :D
  • Level 5*

Agree with @Edh.  Downloading offline notebooks takes a LOT longer with v8.1 than v7, my experience anyway.  To the point I created a special notebook for offline and only store a few notes in it.  

Also, there are times when the app just stops for 10-15 seconds with v8.  This is what frustrates me the most.  It always seems to stutter when I want to create a quick note, Murphy's Law I suppose.  That and sometimes the app starts quickly and sometimes it doesn't, no rhyme or reason I can see.  

Rumor has it a new version will be released shortly which is supposed to address the speed issues.  8,1 is definitely better than 8.0, but worse than 7.0, IMO.  Hopefully 8.2 will fix the speed and stutter problems (and it would be great if they could get rid of the extra presses added with v8 that make it less productive as well).

• 1 month later...

I am on version 8.2.1 - actually have been on 8+ since it was released. The reality is that I still do NOT have 100% offline notebooks. I am a PREMIUM customer but I have STOPPED creating any more tickets or support requests because they all take long time to get a response back and the first response is always the same - send us the report from your device - and they ask for the logs even when you have already included them in the first time. 

• Level 5*

As long as it takes to download. I've seen it take 4-5 hours for an 8gb database. It depends on the network, how fast/busy your computer is, the evernote servers, the weather outside, sunspot activity, etc. 

Hi jbj312,

it is a difference between sync (your notes are sync when the spin wheel stop) and download the notes for offline use (your notes are not download)

To download your notes you have to put your device allways on: turn 'Auto-lock' off in iOS settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > 'Never, then leave your device plugged in with Evernote open. You can't use your device for all this time to don't interrupt the download. Great ?

The download are very slow. I need 24h to dld 20Gb with 4G at 40Mb/s (real).

You have to hope that after you finish the download, your device don't decide to empty the cashe memory, becouse you will "lose" all your offline notes.

I've opened a ticket about this, they answered me after FIVE days, and again after TEN days they wrote:

"We have identified a few of those issues with offline notebook downloads - clearing the cache should not reset offline notebooks, and they should not take so long to download. We plan to address both of these issues in our next release, barring any complications."

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, enki said:

your device don't decide to empty the cashe memory, becouse you will "lose" all your offline notes.

You stated this elsewhere but I've seen no evidence of device deleting my offline notes

I am having trouble downloading my main Notebook (~10GB).  It's been days and never seems to complete.  I may have to create a designated Offline Notebook and move selected notes there

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've seen no evidence of my device device deleting my offline notes

I can see on all my three devices  this evidence. Evernote "directory" have 177Mb not 20Gb 

I had the same problem - for two weeks the progress bar was stoped almost at 100%

one day I decide to switch off and after on the trigger for offline notes and immediately the progress bar disappeared and now I have all my notes offline (but I can see the amount of data (20Gb) in Evernote directory in ios.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, enki said:

I can see on all my three devices  this evidence. Evernote "directory" have 177Mb not 20Gb 

I can confirm this.  

To check the storage used, I have to look at the total storage #s; the Evernote # seems to only reflect the app itself 

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

To check the storage used, I have to look at the total storage #s; the Evernote # seems to only reflect the app itself 

You are right. But if you check the device storage space you will see that a lot of space is occupied (evernote notes), but is not assigned to no one of my apps or system. Is this the cache memory? Nobody can tell me for sure but I think it is. If you push empty cashe in evernote (ios - I talk only for ios environment) you will lose your offline downloaded notes. Evernote will start to download again your notes and Evernote became unusable. After you pushed  empty cache, restart your device and check tha storage. Are your offline notes on your device? If yes, it means that only me have this Evernote behavior. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, enki said:

If you push empty cashe in evernote (ios - I talk only for ios environment) you will lose your offline downloaded notes.

So, it would be a good idea to not "push empty cashe in evernote"

This sounds like the old joke; Doctor, it hurts when I do this; well don't do that :)

Yes, you are right, but, if ios decide to empty cache memory for a app request or evernote arbitrary after update decide to empty cache too, it will happen the same thing. You will lose your offline notes.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, enki said:

if ios decide to empty cache memory for a app request, it will happen the same thing. You will lose your offline notes.

And we're back to that statement; and I've seen no evidence of device deleting my offline notes

I don't know how to test IOS deciding to empty cache memory

• 1 month later...

I need help, please.  I put a message somewhere and now can't find it.  This is most unfriendly user help!  I have used .Evernote for years and have been happy with it.  My trouble began with changing from mini iPad to my new regular sized iPad.  It freezes up on me when I choose a note to get into.  

1. I have powered down iPad several times.

2.  I have deleted and reinstalled many, many times.

3. It then works for a few minutes then freezes again.

This will not let me attach any screen shot or the log.  I got a screen shot of log before it froze, because after it freezes you can't do anything in the app.

i have marked this to be emailed of a answer, but it didn't ask for my email.  Hope I can find ''tis location again.  There, I bookmarked it.  Hope you can help me, because all my stuff is in this app and useless to me at this point.

thank you!

Archived