Best way to track forum discussions?

Titus

This is not specific to Evernote, but I figured someone in here must have the answer (since we are all organizational freaks..haha). 

I ask a lot of questions on forums on a daily basis. Sometimes, it gets hard to track where I posted the questions, in what forum, and whether they replied. Not all forums have a "email me when someone replies" function. 

How do you track your discussions, short of manually copy and pasting the links in a note?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

• Level 5

Manually copying is my method. Painless, fast, and consistent

I copy important questions to Evernote and change the Created Date to tomorrow.

When tomorrow arrives. I will check to see if there is a reply. If my question is important I prefer to keep the question and reply stored in my Evernote account, rather than on a 3rd party forum.

I do not use the Evernote reminder feature for a variety of reasons

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Titus said:

This is not specific to Evernote, but I figured someone in here must have the answer (since we are all organizational freaks..haha).

I lose track sometimes.  Its hard when there are so many posts.Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 6.33.54 AM.png

There is a notification feature in settings
and I also use the Evernote web clipper
- this gives me the note in Evernote with the url

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Titus said:

How do you track your discussions, short of manually copy and pasting the links in a note?

Standard procedure is to follow whatever content you like. You can follow either forums or individual discussions; both have a "Follow" button towards the top right of the forum/discussion title. Click it and see the options. You can manage the content that you've followed by clicking on your icon at the top right of a forum page, and selecting "Manage Followed Content". You can also manage the way you are notified about followed content using Account Settings / Notification Settings, as DTLow noted.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Titus said:

If you mean items in which you have posted, click on the drop down next to your user name and select profile.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:24 AM, Titus said:

I ask a lot of questions on forums on a daily basis. Sometimes, it gets hard to track where I posted the questions, in what forum, and whether they replied. ...

While I all great suggestions that apply to Evernote forums (and many of these techniques work similarly on other forums), I took @Titus question to mean forums -- plural and how to use Evernote for following up across multiple forums.   I use a combination of @DTLow 's web-clipping suggestion along with a forum specific tags.    Unlike @jbenson2, I do use reminders.    I would be interested in hearing more about your reasons for not using reminders.    Perhaps there is something better in your method.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-30 at 6:37 AM, jbenson2 said:

I copy important questions to Evernote and change the Created Date to tomorrow.

As I said - I use web-clipper to add to Evernote
Changing create date is not an option on all platforms and just seems wrong
Most subjects I don't actively check up on, but if it's something important and I needed a reminder .... then I'd add a reminder date

• Level 5
58 minutes ago, Mike McGowan said:

Unlike @jbenson2, I do use reminders.    I would be interested in hearing more about your reasons for not using reminders.    Perhaps there is something better in your method.

There are several reasons why I do not use reminders.  Here are a few.

#1) I use Evernote's Side List view in order to see the maximum number of notes and still have half of the screen devoted to my active note. I keep the Left Panel hidden with the F10 toggle. The reminder feature does not work with the Side List view. Example  http://www.evernote.com/l/AAIaSUp6YNZC_oyjnjbO2d9bP2fa8_KdQyo/

#2) I prefer to have all my notes listed chronologically instead of grouping the reminders at the top. The out of date stuff automatically works downward and gets our of my view. 

#3) I prefer to change the Created Date and Time to act as my reminder and represent when I have an appointment, meeting, or task. It is easier than using the reminder date and time. I have a few tricks to make sure my Evernote stays focused on today's note. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I use Evernote's Side List view

I have a shortcut in my sidebar for "Current Task List".  It's based on a search of outstanding reminders,

I never use the Reminders section.  I see In the latest IOS version, it's been moved from the front page

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have a shortcut in my sidebar for "Current Task List".  It's based on a search of outstanding reminders,

I gave that a try, but I prefer the simplicity by changing the Created Date / Time.

• Level 5*

On Windows with the new saved view function you can have the best of both worlds with reminders, IMO.  Put reminder searches in the shortcuts bar and/or name the saved searches so they appear at the top of the list in when you hit the magnifying glass in the left strip.  Tailor the views and the view changes when you click the sort and back to default when you got to All Notes or whatever.

My view of the world relative to forum content, is why duplicate the forum?  You will receive an email for any topic you follow, those you follow are starred, and you can get a list of topics in which you have participated.  Plus the search capability.

Sure, if there is tip or trick you you want to specifically remember, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V into a new note.  Horses for courses.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mike McGowan said:

I took @Titus question to mean forums -- plural and how to use Evernote for following up across multiple forums

I'll prefer to wait until Titus shows up to disambiguate, but they did say that this is "not specific to Evernote"...

Archived