Sort by last time note was opened

kkc0123

Idea

I would like the option to sort my notes by last date/time opened. This would especially be useful for cookbooks; those recipes used most often would appear first. Perhaps this is already an option but I have been unable to find it.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kkc0123 said:

Perhaps this is already an option but I have been unable to find it.

Not currently an option; and date is not maintained in metadata

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, kkc0123 said:

Well, if changes are time stamped, would it be that difficult to  add a timestamp when a note is opened?

Since you asked; imho Yes, it will be major work requiring adding a new field to the database and updating the software on all platforms

Theres nothing wrong with posting a request regardless if it's simple or complex

You've posted the request and users can indicate their support by voting

• Level 5
2 hours ago, kkc0123 said:

I would like the option to sort my notes by last date/time opened. This would especially be useful for cookbooks; those recipes used most often would appear first.

When you open a note with a recipe, you can change the note's Created Date to today's date & time (click on "now")

As time moves on, use the search to see just your recipes and they will be sorted by date used. The recipes you have not used will be at the bottom of the list.

Evernote Calendar.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

When you open a note with a recipe, you can change the note's Created Date to today's date & time (click on "now")

It's a good idea but I think adding a space in the contents might be more practical

Update Date will get updated automatically 

This works on all platforms

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kkc0123 said:

I would like the option to sort my notes by last date/time opened. This would especially be useful for cookbooks; those recipes used most often would appear first. Perhaps this is already an option but I have been unable to find it.

Each time you use the recipe you could add the date to the top or bottom of the note.  That would cause the updated time to change so you could sort your notes by updated time.  Would also give you a history of when you used the recipe.

• Level 5
54 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's a good idea but I think adding a space in the contents might be more practical

Update Date will get updated automatically 

Thanks. 

Yes, an added space will work by modifying the Updated date column, but a couple concerns:

1) For data analysis, I prefer something more definitive and actionable than just an added space. As csihilling mentioned, adding a date to the note would be more effective.

2) I think the majority of Evernote users prefer to sort with the Created Date field.

Archived